SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up More on the Next Generation Aura

Shaping up nicely, though the accuracy of the speculative illustration is anybody's guess.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-spys...html#more-5068

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thatjerryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
ronjohn
ronjohn is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2008 VUE 2.4L
Default the one pic looks like an altima >>

or a toyota camry - hope the aura keeps it's own identity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ronjohn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ronjohn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ronjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: More on the Next Generation Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjerryguy View Post
Shaping up nicely, though the accuracy of the speculative illustration is anybody's guess.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-spys...html#more-5068

I hope they lose the head lamp covers that "smear" half way back to the windshield. It screams "over styled" to me. I prefer a more functional look, like the S-series. Functional need not be boring. Look at the previous gen Nissan Maxima.

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
Smoothcat
Smoothcat is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Sedan

Dear Lord, that thing looks almost exactly like a Camry in the nose. I really hope that isn't the design direction they take the Aura in. I think it's such a great looking car right now, that I would hate to see anything change. Well, unless they wanted to put the concept grill on the front .

Please GM, leave that nose on the Opel. That thing would be blasted in the U.S. for copying Toyota.

2005 Saturn ION 3 Sedan
My first Saturn - but won't be the last!

Be smooth...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Smoothcat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Smoothcat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Smoothcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossao1 View Post
I hope they lose the head lamp covers that "smear" half way back to the windshield. It screams "over styled" to me. I prefer a more functional look, like the S-series. Functional need not be boring. Look at the previous gen Nissan Maxima.
Thank you, I knew I wasn't alone on that!

Aside from that, Saturn needs to develop some kind of identity. All of its new designs look like generic clones of imports that could just as easily carry a Toyota or Nissan badge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossao1 View Post
But then the Aura would be out of contention for the MRLH (most rediculous looking headlights) award! (Which could of course hurt sales)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

The NG Vectra front hints at GTC coupe concept styling cues as well as an evolution of the Aura/Malibu roof arc, but the computer rendering screams out '07+ Altima.

I'll reserve judgment until the Opel makes its formal debut or the spy photographers catch one in the wild without camouflage.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #8
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: More on the Next Generation Aura

I happen to really like the greenhouse, which is exactly how the current Aura should look -- nice glass area and thin roof pillars. Nice wheels, too. As for the nose, keep in mind the illustration reflects recently enacted European laws that require car makers to design cars with "pedestrian-friendly" front ends. As if an ugly, bulbous nose will hurt less at 40 mph than a more streamlined one. Hopefully we never see such a law here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:42 PM   #9
CptMatt
CptMatt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

It's too "chubby", curvy.

One of the things I like about my XR is the angularity of the body with an almost geometric curve to the roofline. I also like the limousine-like effect of the longer backdoor.

This one just looks like another BMW/Bangle wanna-be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CptMatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CptMatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CptMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:09 AM   #10
AgmLauncher
AgmLauncher is on a distinguished road

That would be the smoothest and most modern looking sedan GM has ever produced. Who the hell cares what it looks similar to? GM needs styling like that.

And that looks 1000x better than the Camry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AgmLauncher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AgmLauncher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AgmLauncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #11
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptMatt View Post
It's too "chubby", curvy.

One of the things I like about my XR is the angularity of the body with an almost geometric curve to the roofline. I also like the limousine-like effect of the longer backdoor.

This one just looks like another BMW/Bangle wanna-be.
I agree; looks like it needs to drop a few pounds. Very similar to the Camry front end, and like the Altima from the sides. PLEASE don't let it have those stupid altezza taillamps

I like the current "taut" design on the Aura. Very angular and muscular for a mid-size without looking pudgy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:23 AM   #12
liquidslap
liquidslap is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgmLauncher View Post
That would be the smoothest and most modern looking sedan GM has ever produced. Who the hell cares what it looks similar to? GM needs styling like that.

And that looks 1000x better than the Camry.
BINGO!! Who gives a crap what it looks similar to? The current Aura often gets mistaken beamer, lexus or whatever else car is out there. I don't hear anyone complaining about that. There are actual threads denoting how often the Aura gets mistaken for some other foreign car.

If GM brings that version of the Vectra over here, it's a wrap. They will take going at Toyota to the next level. Hopefully, this current body style gets the improvements it needs to pave the way for this wonderfully stylish new one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to liquidslap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help liquidslap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
liquidslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:25 AM   #13
Audialize
Audialize is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidslap View Post
BINGO!! Who gives a crap what it looks similar to? The current Aura often gets mistaken beamer, lexus or whatever else car is out there. I don't hear anyone complaining about that. There are actual threads denoting how often the Aura gets mistaken for some other foreign car.

If GM brings that version of the Vectra over here, it's a wrap. They will take going at Toyota to the next level. Hopefully, this current body style gets the improvements it needs to pave the way for this wonderfully stylish new one.
So true, that next gen Aura/Vectra is looking really sharp. It looks pretty expensive though, if they can pop a V4 in that thing with good gas mileage, cause i expect 5 dollars/gallon in the summer of 08/09, it will be an instant hit, and give toyota a run for its money. I'm looking forward to it. Maybe the nextgen Astra will look like something similar too.

2002 SC1 Black - 17'' Enkei Shoguns Customized Black - Traded /cry

2007 Ion 2 QC Black - 6,207 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Audialize's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Audialize reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Audialize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #14
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackepj View Post
I like the current "taut" design on the Aura. Very angular and muscular for a mid-size without looking pudgy.
I agree for the most part, though I still think the Pontiac G6 looks sleeker and sportier. But the Aura would look so much meaner with lower profile headlights and a grille that didn't make the front look like a d**n smiley face!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
Audialize
Audialize is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
I agree for the most part, though I still think the Pontiac G6 looks sleeker and sportier. But the Aura would look so much meaner with lower profile headlights and a grille that didn't make the front look like a d**n smiley face!
You should look at the coming Pontiac G8 GT, that thing looks mean and powerful, and screams modern american muscle. Can't wait for the 09 Camaro

2002 SC1 Black - 17'' Enkei Shoguns Customized Black - Traded /cry

2007 Ion 2 QC Black - 6,207 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Audialize's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Audialize reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Audialize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #16
SBCHAMPS
SBCHAMPS is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

It looks a whole lot cleaner than the camry. Saturn should also focus on a more powerful drivetrain. Perhaps a small V8 and RWD.

07 Saturn Aura XR
06 Trailblazer SS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SBCHAMPS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SBCHAMPS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SBCHAMPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #17
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

If you look at the existing Opel Vectra you can see that this new model is an evolution of that design, and, really bears very little relationship to an Altima or Camry, both of which, incidentally, came after the Vectra.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seasoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #18
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCHAMPS View Post
It looks a whole lot cleaner than the camry. Saturn should also focus on a more powerful drivetrain. Perhaps a small V8 and RWD.
With the advent of the Alpha architecture, we'll see RWD and a V6, but no V8. The enviro-weenies who have the ears of clueless politicians have seen to that.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #19
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatjerryguy View Post
I happen to really like the greenhouse, which is exactly how the current Aura should look -- nice glass area and thin roof pillars. Nice wheels, too. As for the nose, keep in mind the illustration reflects recently enacted European laws that require car makers to design cars with "pedestrian-friendly" front ends. As if an ugly, bulbous nose will hurt less at 40 mph than a more streamlined one. Hopefully we never see such a law here.

Spreading the hit out over a larger area will decrease the severity of the impact. As far as hurting less, you'll still have broken legs, but it may be the difference between death and just being horribly hurt. The laws may not make it here, but the designs will, as more cars are built with global markets in mind.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 12:52 PM   #20
thatjerryguy

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Question Re: More on the Next Generation Aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
Spreading the hit out over a larger area will decrease the severity of the impact. As far as hurting less, you'll still have broken legs, but it may be the difference between death and just being horribly hurt. The laws may not make it here, but the designs will, as more cars are built with global markets in mind.
I understand the psuedo-logic that went into this, but I'd think that instead of someone being bent over and slammed into the hood, or thrown up into the windshield, they'd be propelled forward only to strike the pavement or whatever got in their way. Once this is tested real world, I really don't see much of a difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!