SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
TIMSPEED
Advanced Member
TIMSPEED is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1998 SW2
Default Cranks for a while before starting...

What would cause this? Plugs, wires, or dirty coils? It starts fine, but it just seems like it takes longer than my 93 SC2 (I'm talking about my 98 SW2).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TIMSPEED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TIMSPEED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2005, 07:56 AM   #2
99GreenSC1
Advanced Member
99GreenSC1 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Cranks for a while before starting...

My 99 SC1 does the same thing. It only started after adding the Magnecor wires and Beru Silverstone plugs though (and yes I checked them and made sure they were gapped right).

I wouldn't mind an answer to this question as well. Could it be what he listed or the starter?

07 Cobalt LS 4 door - Ultra Silver - Auto - 35% tint - Injen intake - ARK short antenna - ARK FSTB - MTX X Thunderlink - Eibach Sportlines - Debadged

Wife's DD: 07 Aura XR w/ Moroccan Brown Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99GreenSC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99GreenSC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:46 PM   #3
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

This can be a fuel pump issue. My 97SC1 starts quickly at initial fire-up but will take some cranking to re-start when warmed up and shut off for a period.
The way to test for this is to put the key in the "run" position for a few seconds and then see if the engine starts quickly when you go to "crank".
Wolfman says it may run this way for a long time before the pump actually fails. IIRC a check valve tends to bleed off fuel pressure. I may do a preventive change-out over the summer when the car is back from college.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2005, 02:03 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Bill, might this also indicate a leak elsewhere in the fuel system (downstream of the fuel pump), allowing the pressure to drop while the car is parked?

Oh, and IIRC, another test is to turn the key to RUN, then back to ACC, a few times, each for the three seconds or so you hear the fuel pump priming. This allows successive buildup of pressure. If that helps the car start more normally, then yeah, there's a pressure leakdown (again, going from memory here...).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:38 AM   #5
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray
This can be a fuel pump issue. My 97SC1 starts quickly at initial fire-up but will take some cranking to re-start when warmed up and shut off for a period.
The way to test for this is to put the key in the "run" position for a few seconds and then see if the engine starts quickly when you go to "crank".
Wolfman says it may run this way for a long time before the pump actually fails. IIRC a check valve tends to bleed off fuel pressure. I may do a preventive change-out over the summer when the car is back from college.
this was a common problem for the 97 pump, that style pump was used for one year only, no other years are affected(but you could still have a simular problem).

a weak battery may also be at fault.

i would check fuel pressure while running, right at shut-off, 5 minutes later, 1 hour later, and 4 hours later, and preform a heavy load test of the battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 01:40 AM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

98' was the first year for the returnless fuel injection system that incorperates a pressure regulator built into the fuel filter. Unlikely it's a leak down issue unless the fuel filter is over due for a change (100k mile recommended interval) OR, you have a leaking injector or two which would most likely also show up as a decrease in fuel economy. You'd most likely SMELL a fuel leak downstream (or anywhere) from the pump as any leak would be WORSE under full pump pressure. A weak battery is a possibility, though it would tend to manifest itself in other ways first I'd imagine. Most "Gen 1" Saturns fire and start more readily than their OBD2 siblings. You can thank OBD2 for that, as the more one fancies up the plumbing (or electronics) the easier it is to stop up the pipes...

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
clemsonsaturn
clemsonsaturn is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Wolfman,
Would you say that changing the fuel filter is absolutely necessary at 100K? My 1998 has over 140,000 on it and I've never changed it, and I'm posititve it's never been changed. I'm holding out because I refuse to pay $90 from the dealer for the part (not available aftermarket yet), not to mention the labor involved. .

What do you think?

2008 Honda Civic LX Atomic Blue
1992 SL2 Two Tone Medium Red/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clemsonsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clemsonsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 07:46 PM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The "recommended change interval" (from the maintenance schedule) is 100K miles. Yours "may" last a longer time period before clogging up enough to cause problems...or it could leave you stranded outside a strip club, where your wife did not know you were, at 3 am....your choice.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 07:57 PM   #9
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
or it could leave you stranded outside a strip club, where your wife did not know you were, at 3 am....your choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
clemsonsaturn
clemsonsaturn is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

Haha there are no strip clubs in Clemson, and I'm not married so I guess I'll be ok . JK. I guess I should get around to doing that sometime though. Are there any common "symptoms" to a fuel filter getting way to cloogged, or just one day your car wont' crank? I have no extended cranks ever, starts right up always.

Does anyone know how much your local dealer charges for the repair? I believe ours here is over $200.

2008 Honda Civic LX Atomic Blue
1992 SL2 Two Tone Medium Red/Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clemsonsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clemsonsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:35 PM   #11
wolfman

Usually the earliest warning sign is a car that idles just fine but lacks acceleration power. Unfortunately this change is generally so gradual, you may not notice it until it becomes a real problem...like when you are trying to merge onto a freeway...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2005, 11:56 PM   #12
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonsaturn
Wolfman,
Would you say that changing the fuel filter is absolutely necessary at 100K? My 1998 has over 140,000 on it and I've never changed it, and I'm posititve it's never been changed. I'm holding out because I refuse to pay $90 from the dealer for the part (not available aftermarket yet), not to mention the labor involved. .

What do you think?
think of it this way, a normal filter cost $25 and must be replaced about 25K miles, you would use 4 filters in 100K hence about $100. it ends up almost even in the end. and plus an extra 40K miles, you have definitly got its value out of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:47 AM   #13
lord_helmut
lord_helmut is on a distinguished road

Just to throw in a few cents....

Fuel pumps are designed for a certain flow/pressure, and are cooled by fuel flowing thru them. Filter gets clogged, lower flow, higher heat, higher load on pump = lesser fuel pump life.

Its up to you, change filter or eventually change pump.

I have 400k on my original pump. Filters changed regularly. Same car, different owner (fuel filter... whats that ?) had 110k, and replaced the pump.

I just hate dropping fuel tanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_helmut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_helmut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:52 AM   #14
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Nice Analytical response

Quote:
Fm >> Lord Helmut <<

> Fuel pumps are designed for a certain flow/pressure, and are cooled by fuel flowing thru them. Filter gets clogged, lower flow, higher heat, higher load on pump = lesser fuel pump life......I just hate dropping fuel tanks. <
VERY good point. Thank you.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread