SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
skii33
skii33 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default 95 sl2 cranks but won't start

Quick story on car . I bought it about 2 months ago . Lady said it was going down the road ond just died. My background on saturns : I have fixed up about 55 of these cars and have built motors for most of them (among other problems fixed). This one has me stumped so far . I pulled the motor rebuilt it and put it in another car , now i built a motor for this one and can't get it to run. Here is what i have done so far ....new plugs and wires , new ects, new fuel filter. There is spark to the plugs, there is at least 45 psi of fuel pressure to the rail ( best i can tell with my makeshift fuel pressure guage) the timing chain is lined up right , all fuses are good , and the injectors are from a 95 ( i know they changed the impedence in 960..IT should run. I tried to get it to run before i pulled the engine but couldnt , other saturn projects came up and this one sat on the back burner for three months . It is a 95 sl2 with 197,000 miles . Could the computer be sending the spark at the wrong time or not firing the injectors ? Before i changed the engine i tried a crank sensor , spliced in a new connector for the ects, tried a coil pack, cleaned the throttle valve. The car will try to start like it is firing but wont. I am an experienced 50 year old mechanic who used to work at a buick/chevy dealer in the 80's for 10 years . Sorry for the bad writing but im not much of a story teller.Any and all suggestions will be a blessing thanks Glenn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skii33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skii33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skii33 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
Default Re: 95 sl2 cranks but won't start

Have you tried cranking at WOT or pulled the plugs to see if they're soaked with fuel?

I'm wondering if the splice on the ECTS connector is good. You could put a scan tool on it and see what the PCM reads as the coolant temp.

You did change the ECTS that feeds info to the PCM, correct? The 95 has 2 sensors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Although there may be pressure at the injectors, you might not have any injectors firing - either power is missing to all the injectors or some/all are clogged(?). There's a main injector fuse and 12v should be sitting on one side of each injector connector. The other wire goes back to the pcm for grounding; this pulsed signal ground provides the pulse needed to open each injector. Another way to check for injector pulses is smelling the plugs for fuel since the cylinders should be wet with fuel from all the cranking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Pull the front o2 sensor out and see if it will start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
skii33

1995 SL2

I did try to start it while holding the throttle open. and yes the splice at the ects is good and yes i do have it hooked to the bottom sensor (i'm aware of the other sensor for the guage on a 95). I do have power to the red wires at the injectors. The plugs are getting fuel (they are damp with fuel). removing the o2 sensor and cranking? what will that do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help skii33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
skii33

1995 SL2

the winner is bluesl2!!!!! At first i didnt understand pulling the front o2 sensor , then it hit me , plugged exaust. The inside of the converter came apart and pluged the midpipe and muffler . MY old rule was an engine needs 3 things to start : spark, fuel, and compression . My new rule includes these three plus a place for the exaust to go . I have never had a plugged exaust cause an engine to not run, i have had plenty of semi plugged exausts make a car run bad , but not start? thanks to all Glenn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
paulo
paulo will become famous soon enoughpaulo will become famous soon enough

removing the o2 sensor and cranking? what will that do?
That is what I was thinking also-I learned something today by just reading your post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 PM   #8
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

IIRC, a plugged exhaust can cause low compression.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #9
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, the engine can't breathe. An engine is basically just an air pump. Depending on how bad the converter plugs, you could have varying issues, no start, lack of power, etc. I've seen cars before that start but will barely accelerate. Glad the problem is figured out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
Appalachian
Appalachian is on a distinguished road

Can someone explain this to me? How does removing the O2 sensor "un-plug" the exhaust? And how the heck did it get plugged to begin with?

Thanks,
J

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Appalachian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Appalachian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Appalachian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Read post #6 and Google catalytic converters; how they work and their construction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Removing the O2 sensor acts as a "tracheotomy", allowing the exhaust to breathe out through the bung hole.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #13
Appalachian
Appalachian is on a distinguished road

Ok, so the O2 sensor lets it breathe through its (now vacant) hole, and the cat convertor collapsed or something to stop up the exhaust in the first place.

right?
J

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Appalachian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Appalachian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Appalachian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The vacant hole that was occupied by the O2 sensor now allows exhaust gases an alternate exit hole if the catcon is clogged from a deteriorating honeycomb structure falling apart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!