SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #1
IT_Architect
IT_Architect is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default 2006 Vue Cloth to Leather Seat Swap Questions

Situation:
The driver's side cloth seat went bad in the normal location and they soil easily so I got the front and back gray leather seats out of a junk yard for it. Since cloth means manual, and leather means power and heated, they snipped the harness where it went through the carpet under the seats, and part of the harness that lead to the heated seat switches. they also gave me the seat belt/retractor mechanisms.

Questions:
1. What is the best way to wire power to the power driver's seat?
2. Do I have enough there to make the heated seats work?
3. Should I use the seat belt retractors from my own vehicle or the ones that I took with the seats? (Thinking about the sensor stuff.)
4. Any other cautions or possible snags doing such a swap that I should be aware of?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IT_Architect's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IT_Architect reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IT_Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2006 Vue Cloth to Leather Seat Swap Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT_Architect View Post
Situation:Any other cautions or possible snags doing such a swap that I should be aware of?
Here is one I ran into already. I put in the leather passenger seat so far, and now the cluster airbag light stays on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help IT_Architect reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Here is one I ran into already. I put in the leather passenger seat so far, and now the cluster airbag light stays on.
Are new seats from 06 or 07?

Previous years (02-05) didn't have passenger presence sensor so I don't know how you could turn light out without changing something like SIR sense and diagnostics module.

I have heated seats and power drivers seat wiring diagrams but they're too large to post on forum. PM email address and I'll send them ASAP.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Are new seats from 06 or 07?
Thanks huge for responding. Yes, they are gray leather from an 06, same year as my Vue, and they are also heated.

Quote:
I have heated seats and power drivers seat wiring diagrams but they're too large to post on forum. PM email address and I'll send them ASAP.
Will do.

Other: What I don't know is if the seat is bad or it just needs to be rezeroed. There are two connectors for heated seats and one for unheated. The wire and terminal for the one is the same and plugs right in. The other one is just hanging there because the car did not come with heated seats. I spoke with the service department on the phone today. They didn't know if it the swap would work even if the seat were good. I talked to parts, and they said that the heating element and PPS are one, and it is sold with the module, and only as kit. The passenger cloth and leather seats look the same, other than the covering. My thought at the moment was to swap covers and put my original seat back in, if that's possible.

Thanks TONS!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I've read a few posts re swapping seat covers and will see what's in FSM.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #6
ryan_g
ryan_g is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

You could just unbolt the leather seats and put them on the manual frames. If you don't care so much about power seats its much easier.

I changed my vue from cloth to heated leather with one of the katzkin kits so I've had the seats/frames out before

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ryan_g's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ryan_g reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ryan_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #7
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_g View Post
You could just unbolt the leather seats and put them on the manual frames. If you don't care so much about power seats its much easier.
That will for sure happen on the passenger side. The electric seat has more adjustment, so I may stay with that.

Quote:
I changed my vue from cloth to heated leather with one of the katzkin kits so I've had the seats/frames out before
Thanks tons for the comment. I may look at that also. I don't know how much I would use the heated part. I do have the heated seat switches out of the original as well as part of the loom. Maybe I could make it look stock. I do live up in Michigan, but the only thing I'm thinking is by the time I get in the car and start it up, I already heated the seat. LOL! How often do you actually use the seat heaters?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Thanks TONS!!! for the instructions on swapping seat covers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #9
ryan_g

2004 VUE 3.5L

I posted pictures in the mods section. Since I did the project in April and I live in NC I haven't used them much. It'll start cooling off soon and I will be using them.

Let me know if you need any help!

I couldn't mount the switches in the factory location (in the pocket under the climate controls) and it wasn't worth the hassle to me to wire them using factory switches since that runs through the BCM.

I can take more pictures/give you more info on how I wired them if you want. It was very simple.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ryan_g reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
... it wasn't worth the hassle to me to wire them using factory switches since that runs through the BCM.
Are you certain of that? I don't see a connection on any diagrams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vue Drvr HS.jpg (85.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Vue Pass HS.jpg (85.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by far2grumpy; 09-17-2016 at 10:42 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-17-2016, 11:14 PM   #11
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

This is what I did:
1. On the passenger side, I put the leather seat covers on the original cloth seat frame and cushions. I didn't see any difference in the seat frames or foam. This got me the correct seat PPS module and foam and pad that are zeroed. When I plugged it in, no more airbag light.

2. On the drivers side, I put the leather seat in as is. I was thinking about doing the same thing on the driver's side and have a manual seat, but it was not to be. The problem is the electric seat also has a bolster adjustment that puts a big hole through the front of the leather for seat bolster adjustment.

3. In case I decide later that heated seats are worthwhile, this is what I have in my saved items at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Water-Carbon-...t+water+carbonThis looks better than OEM and people who have bought it, like it.

4. I still need to run a wire yet. Since I had them cut the loom, I have a connector and wires to splice to. I plan to run a wire for my under-seat inverter at the same time as the cigar lighter wire has too much voltage drop which causes the inverter to kick out.

Thoughts:
- After the swap, I have a new-found respect for cloth seats. They are far more comfortable than the gray factory leather I put in.
- I could have, and now wish I would have, gone with the Red Line interior. Their seats are also far more comfortable.
- The problem with cloth is, just getting a little water on them leaves ugly rings on them so they seldom look clean, and I had to make a move because they cracked in the normal place and foam was sticking out.
- I am disappointed in the back seat I bought. There are dents in it from being down and pushing on the seat belt clasps and where it looks like there was a baby seat at one time. The carpet is stretched on the back of the seat also. I left the cloth back seat in for now to see if it recovers any.

Last edited by IT_Architect; 09-17-2016 at 11:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
ryan_g

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Are you certain of that? I don't see a connection on any diagrams.
I thought so but I had only looked at wiring in vehicles at salvage yards. Could be wrong.

Not sure if you have seen the pictures I posted in the mods section, but those switches were already provided and didn't require hacking up the heater kit that I bought or a trip to the salvage yard hoping I could find a Vue with heated seats and switches that were in decent shape.

Last edited by ryan_g; 09-18-2016 at 11:36 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2016, 11:35 AM   #13
ryan_g

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
This is what I did:

3. In case I decide later that heated seats are worthwhile, this is what I have in my saved items at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Water-Carbon-...t+water+carbonThis looks better than OEM and people who have bought it, like it.

Thoughts:
- After the swap, I have a new-found respect for cloth seats. They are far more comfortable than the gray factory leather I put in.

- The problem with cloth is, just getting a little water on them leaves ugly rings on them so they seldom look clean, and I had to make a move because they cracked in the normal place and foam was sticking out.

- I am disappointed in the back seat I bought. There are dents in it from being down and pushing on the seat belt clasps and where it looks like there was a baby seat at one time. The carpet is stretched on the back of the seat also. I left the cloth back seat in for now to see if it recovers any.
That is the kit I bought when I did my leather seats. I got the cheaper one with the 2 position switches because they looked much easier to mount than the large ones.

I am thrilled with my leather seats, but they are not factory and I don't have any experience with the factory leather. Neither one of my Vues had it. Maybe it is because my leather is brand new? Not sure... What made the cloth seats more comfortable out of curiosity?

I had the same problem with my cloth seats. They never seemed to come clean no matter what I tried, my drivers seat had cracked, and the passenger seat had been repaired at some point. In my 03, it wasn't vinyl/leather trimmed on the edges so I didn't have the cracking problem, but they weren't clean looking either after 145k miles.

As you may have seen in my mods post, my leather was fairly wrinkled when I initially put it in and it smoothed out after about a week in the hot NC summer sun. If I remember I'll go take pictures later today.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #14
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
That is the kit I bought when I did my leather seats. I got the cheaper one with the 2 position switches because they looked much easier to mount than the large ones.
That switch is a lot smaller than it appears. It is only 1 1/8" wide by 1 3/4" high by 2" deep, so it fits in the normal spot.

Quote:
What made the cloth seats more comfortable out of curiosity?
They are much harder. I notice it on my back. I checked the lumbar, but is is already backed all of the way off, which means it was probably what the previous owner thought too. The Redline has velour inserts, so I don't notice any difference between them and cloth.

Quote:
As you may have seen in my mods post, my leather was fairly wrinkled when I initially put it in and it smoothed out after about a week in the hot NC summer sun.
I'm not confident the backseat will fix itself. It has dents, not wrinkles, indicating the problem is with the foam. The front passenger seat had dents in the foam. I put it over my cloth foam and now it looks good. The leather itself in back seat has some lines on it too. It looks like a car seat was left there permanently. The carpet on the back is a loose fit in some areas instead of tight like my original.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #15
ryan_g

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
That switch is a lot smaller than it appears. It is only 1 1/8" wide by 1 3/4" high by 2" deep, so it fits in the normal spot.

They are much harder. I notice it on my back. I checked the lumbar, but is is already backed all of the way off, which means it was probably what the previous owner thought too. The Redline has velour inserts, so I don't notice any difference between them and cloth.

I'm not confident the backseat will fix itself. It has dents, not wrinkles, indicating the problem is with the foam. The front passenger seat had dents in the foam. I put it over my cloth foam and now it looks good. The leather itself in back seat has some lines on it too. It looks like a car seat was left there permanently. The carpet on the back is a loose fit in some areas instead of tight like my original.
They aren't huge but it was still much easier to drill a hole with a spade bit. The trim around the switches doesn't allow much room for error.

I guess I don't have that issue since my seats are exactly the same as they were underneath. That's interesting. I doubt that GM used two different foams underneath.

Yeah that back seat needs some help... I try not to leave mine down for extended periods of time so that doesnt happen. Looks like those seats need a good SCRUB!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #16
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I guess I don't have that issue since my seats are exactly the same as they were underneath. That's interesting. I doubt that GM used two different foams underneath.
I don't think that's it. I just think the leather is thicker and stiffer so it spreads the weight across the foam more which prevents the foam from conforming to your back.

Quote:
Looks like those seats need a good SCRUB!!
I will probably get the interior done by a detailer. We have a large shop not far away that does the cars for dealers. I used them for the Red Line. I don't know what I'm doing with leather and don't want to wreck things. I have to think what I want to do with the back seat first. I could put the leather seat cover on the original seat, but the backing needs some help, and that would involve an upholstery shop, and I don't know what that would cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #17
ryan_g

2004 VUE 3.5L

I think my leather seats are more comfortable than my cloth seats but the foam was already well broken in.

I cleaned some very dirty leather with interior cleaner from a local detailing shop and went back with conditioner after. I detailed the vehicle over 2 years ago and they are holding up well (It was for a family friend).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #18
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Now to figure out which orange wire on the connector is the power seat. There are two orange and two black wires in the connector. I'm guessing the larger is what I need as the power seat is fused higher than the seat heater that I'm not using. I'll check it out with the multi-meter. I may try to wire the heated seat to the normal location in the under-hood fuse block. For the black ground wire, I could just hook it to a seat bolt, but I'd rather run a wire to where it would normally terminate. The question is, where does it normally terminate?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #19
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I could just hook it to a seat bolt, but I'd rather run a wire to where it would normally terminate. The question is, where does it normally terminate?
FYI, I just did some Googling on where to connect grounds in general because at the same time I wish to add inverter wiring, rear camera, and trailer wiring module, and not have to tear apart things multiple times. The inverter I'm thinking of using is 600SW inverter which recommends 2 gauge with 80A fusing. This is what I found that confirmed my thoughts.

A company who installs 2500 watt stereo systems and wire them in 1/0 pure, oxygen-free copper did the test. The test car was a compact Nissan sedan. By using the chassis, instead of a return 1/0 cable, the voltage drop was 14% LESS. Steel is not as conductive as copper, but there is a lot more of it, thereby putting the 1/0 copper cable at a significant disadvantage.

Summary: The reason inverters require larger size wire than would be required for safety reasons is because the standard is a maximum of 1/4V voltage drop under load. This is because the battery only starts out with 12.6V at full charge, the low voltage alarm comes on at 11V, and shutdown occurs at 10.5V to ensure you will still be able to start the car. Thus, the only way to use the battery's capacity is if very little of the voltage loss is caused by the resistance of the wiring. Using the chassis for ground not only eliminates the cost, work, and room required for the negative cable, it also enables the use of a smaller positive cable. Under the hood is not a good environment for an inverter, and about the only place I have found where there is significant space for something like a Xantrex 600SW is under the floor, ahead of the spare tire, which is quite a distance from the battery. There is also good vehicle structure there, and large rear seat attachment bolts nearby to provide a solid ground of adequate capacity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #20
IT_Architect

2006 VUE 3.5L
2006 VUE 3.5L

I spent bunches on leather cleaners and brushed and brushed and brushed and they couldn't get the stains out. One squirt of lemon SoftScrub and some light brushing and they are gone! Wash down with water and spray bottle, dry, and then use McGuires leather conditioner, and they look like new, except for the car seat indentations in the leather surface and the dents in the foam.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!