SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2006, 10:26 PM   #1
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2
Happy "Veronica Mars" - a part of Saturn's marketing strategy?

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the 'teen drama' "Veronica Mars." It's a TV show that is just starting it's third season on the new network, the CW (previously was on UPN). The basis of the show is that Veronica Mars, who is now entering her freshman year of college, is the daughter of a private detective and makes a side living doing her own version of PI work for other students. Every year there is a 'big mystery' (first season, her best friend was murdered, second season was a bus crash, etc) and each episode has a 'mini-mystery.'

Back to the point, this is one of the (if not THE) biggest shows in the young adult entertainment segment.

MSN released the season premiere of season 3, an episode called "Welcoming Wagon" on their website today, a week before the scheduled premiere on TV. In it, Keith Mars, who is Veronica's father, is talking to someone about the money he earned on a large case at the end of last season and what they spent it on. He says "Bought back my daughter's love." It then cuts to a scene of the parking lot at the Neptune sheriff's office, as our star, Veronica is getting out of her brand new ....

2007 Saturn VUE Green Line hybrid.

Yes, she's got a Saturn now. My husband thought it was an AWD V6 at first because you can't make out the badging very clearly, but there's a quick shot of the driver's door later on in the episode where you can clearly see the "Hybrid" badge.

She gets out of the car with a friend and the conversation goes:

Friend: "That's a cool ride, graduation gift?"
Veronica: "My dad stood me up for my graduation trip, lucky for me, he felt really bad about it."
(some non important banter)
Friend: "Well, a Saturn for a Mars."

So they aren't downplaying what it is like most TV shows will - you know, each character drives a 'bland' car and there's never any mention of what it is and hardly any clear shots of it. I'm wondering if there will be further mention of it in later episodes, especially that it's a hybrid. Makes me curious as to how much of a hand GM had in Veronica's new car! Makes for some VERY good product placement, that's for sure!

And now everytime I watch Veronica Mars (which is every week) I get to see her nice shiny silver GL VUE!

You can watch the epsiode here: http://www.tv.msn.com/tv/tvbuzz

If all you want to see is her new VUE, fast foward to right around 19 minutes into it.

Funny side note, as they show the VUE for the first time, she's ever so conveniently parked next to a 2nd gen gold SL1.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: "Veronica Mars" - a part of Saturn's marketing strategy?

I saw part of that show once. For some reason, that actress gets on my nerves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
silverblueL200
Advanced Member
silverblueL200 is on a distinguished road

GM is all over the product placement this season, if anybody watches the The Unit & Smith, they had a ton of GM's between the two. The unit had two GTO's & Smith had quite a few, they were driving through a parking garage looking for something to steal, pointing out the GM's as they went. They settled on a Hummer.

- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silverblueL200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:22 PM   #4
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

I noticed that on The Unit also.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:47 AM   #5
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

I'll watch it when it comes on TV.
Kia did the same thing on the show Everwood. One of the girls was given a Sorento by her dad. They even mentioned it's safety ratings in the dialogue.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblueL200
GM is all over the product placement this season, if anybody watches the The Unit & Smith, they had a ton of GM's between the two. The unit had two GTO's & Smith had quite a few, they were driving through a parking garage looking for something to steal, pointing out the GM's as they went. They settled on a Hummer.
I noticed a bunch of Fords in the first episode of Smith.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Aww, man, I'm gonna miss "Le Baron!"

Cool for Saturn and product placement in a relatively though-provoking show that interests a lot of people who are in their target demographic.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:28 AM   #8
IONicSaturn
Advanced Member
IONicSaturn is on a distinguished road

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Did anyone notice my Gold '96 SL1 parked next to the Vue? I don't think that was an accident (although that Passat could of been an L-Series or something ). That is very cool product placement nonetheless.

Mike

2012 Nissan Maxima SV Sport
2005 Saturn L300
1999 Dodge Durango SLT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IONicSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IONicSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IONicSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
DesertPuma
DesertPuma is on a distinguished road

I saw them park the VUE (didn't realize it was GL, just saw the badge on the back hatch, well actually I just saw the back hatch and then the badge) and looked at my wife "that's a VUE"!

I see Quad-Coupes on the "Gilmore Girls"

In the first episode of "Jericho", I noticed a Black VUE was used in the final scene.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DesertPuma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DesertPuma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DesertPuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:17 PM   #10
Big Nickel
Big Nickel is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 2.2L

I caught that part of the episode where the girl said she had a new Saturn... kinda neat to finally see some Saturns on major network show. Looked good.

However, now I'm kinda confused who their target market is through all their ongoing marketing efforts and product placements... Food Network? Dwell Magazine? The X-Games? Product placement in Veronica Mars and sponsoring the season premiere of Smallville?

At least Saturn is definitely getting their name out there!

on a side note... anyone see the article in the Detroit News about Saturn doing all the right things that perhaps they may soon be considered "cool"? I supposed that would tie in to placements on Veronica Mars.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...73259358279847

2006 Vue 2.2L (5 speed)- 157 000 km and counting

1999 SL1 - 245 000 km and still goin' strong

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Big Nickel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Big Nickel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Big Nickel is offline   Reply With Quote