SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
Jerry_Strn
Jerry_Strn is on a distinguished road

Default Light "Change Oil Soon" is on

Hi,

My 2002 Saturn SL 5-sp has 35,600 miles. I change the oil myself every 3k miles.

Since yesterday morning, the "Change Oil Soon" light stays on some time after starting the engine. The last time I changed the oil 3 months ago at 33k, resetting the oil monitor.

I don’t idle excessively and turn the engine off if idling more then a couple minutes. Is there something wrong with the car? It is still under the warranty. Should I change the oil immediately, or I may proceed as usual and change oil at 36k?

Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jerry_Strn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jerry_Strn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Light "Change Oil Soon" is on

The change oil soon light uses crankshaft revolutions to determine oil life...you're only 400 miles away, why not just spend the $12 and change it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:17 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Change Oil Soon Message

This feature assists in determining when to change the engine oil and filter. It's based on the engine operating temperatures and the number of engine revolution.

The CHANGE OIL COON light should come on as a bulb check when you start the engine. This is normal. If this light stays on for about 30 seconds after you start the engine, it means there's less than 10 percent of the oil life left. You should change the engine oil soon.

The system should usually indicate to change the oil and filter between 3,000 and 6,000 miles (5,000 km and 10,0000 km). Never drive your vehicle more than 6,000 without an oil and filter change.

If you drive in a dusty area, in a high humidity climate, or tow a trailer, you should change your oil and filter every 3,000 miles (5,000 km) or 3 months (whichever comes first) unless the CHANGE OIL SOON light indicates changing it sooner.

The system doesn't check how much oil you have, so you'll still have to check for that. To see how, refer to Engine Oil .

Each time you change your engine oil, the system must be reset. To find out how to do this, refer to "Resetting the CHANGE OIL SOON Light" in the Index.

Always keep a written record of the mileage and date when you changed your oil.

Like SaturnTech said change your oil.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
Jerry_Strn

Thank you guys, I will replace oil/filter, even though the oil is very clear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jerry_Strn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Do the older years not have this? Like 2nd gen?

Ive never seen this light, and Ive been waayyy past due on the oil change before.

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
Speedyox
Speedyox is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skin_eater
Do the older years not have this? Like 2nd gen?

Ive never seen this light, and Ive been waayyy past due on the oil change before.
My 97 does not have it. The 01 does.

If you have the light, you will see it when you first turn the key during the "Bulb check"

-Speedyox
---------------------------
1997 SC2 Auto ~109k miles
2001 SL2 Auto ~130k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Speedyox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Speedyox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2005, 05:12 PM   #7
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedyox
My 97 does not have it. The 01 does.

If you have the light, you will see it when you first turn the key during the "Bulb check"

Must be a newer thing then...By the way, I cant tell whats lighting up. No gauges still..ha

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-06-2005, 07:01 PM   #8
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
My 2002 Saturn SL 5-sp has 35,600 miles. I change the oil myself every 3k miles.

Since yesterday morning, the "Change Oil Soon" light stays on some time after starting the engine. The last time I changed the oil 3 months ago at 33k, resetting the oil monitor.

I donít idle excessively and turn the engine off if idling more then a couple minutes. Is there something wrong with the car? It is still under the warranty. Should I change the oil immediately, or I may proceed as usual and change oil at 36k?
I'd change the oil soon. Your mileage may vary. 3 months/3000 miles is about right. so you're a little bit early. Have you checked the oil recently? what color is it?

Change your oil.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2005, 09:25 AM   #9
c5f8
c5f8 has a spectacular aura aboutc5f8 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I changed the oil on my sister's 2002 SL2. How do I reset the "change oil soon light"? Her car didn't come with an owner's manual.

Last edited by c5f8; 04-07-2005 at 09:30 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to c5f8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help c5f8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #10
eric02SC2
Advanced Member
eric02SC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5f8
I changed the oil on my sister's 2002 SL2. How do I reset the "change oil soon light"? Her car didn't come with an owner's manual.
From the 2001 S-Series Handbook (Owners Manual):

1) Remove the cover of the underhood fuse block (under the hood).
2) With the ignition key in "RUN" and the engine off, press the red "Oil-R" reset button and hold for five seconds. If the "CCHANGE OIL SOON" light is flashing, the system is reset. The light will flash for 30 seconds or until the ignition is turned off. However, if the light comes on again and stays on for 30 seconds at the next ignition cycle, it did not reset. You'll need to restet the system again.

That's all the 2001 S-Series Handbook (Owners Manual) has to say on this subject. Hope it helps.

All the Best,

Eric & Genieve
2002 SC2m 37.5K miles

http://www.GEMS-Family.net
http://www.GEMS-Family.net/WeightLoss

P.S. Yes, we drive a 2002 SC2 and have a 2001 S-Series Handbook within reach of the computer for occasions such as this

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric02SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric02SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #11
Jerry_Strn

The oil is very clear, almost like new, and at the "Full" level.

I think I know what happened. Last Sunday I was driving a lot of country roads in the south part of Ohio. Because of the hilly and curvy nature of the roads I was very often in the lower gear, like 3rd or 4th, doing 50-60 miles/hr (but RPM didn't exceed 3k). Therefore car's computer calculated a lot of "extra" revolutions and thinks I need oil change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
I'd change the oil soon. Your mileage may vary. 3 months/3000 miles is about right. so you're a little bit early. Have you checked the oil recently? what color is it?

Change your oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2005, 09:02 PM   #12
austin71184
austin71184 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Did you actually reset you light the last time you did an oil change ? I've noticed that the light will usually come on my car 5-6k after the oil change. (i drive 75% highway) Of course I change it at 3, then don't reset the light to see when the dummy light would have told me to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to austin71184's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help austin71184 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2005, 02:13 AM   #13
Jerry_Strn

I did. Before every oil change I remove a fuse box's cover to remember to reset the light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin71184
Did you actually reset you light the last time you did an oil change ? I've noticed that the light will usually come on my car 5-6k after the oil change. (i drive 75% highway) Of course I change it at 3, then don't reset the light to see when the dummy light would have told me to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2005, 08:15 AM   #14
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Since there's no feedback to you on the reset, perhaps the button didn't make good contact and the monitor wasn't reset at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2005, 04:50 PM   #15
Jerry_Strn

There is a feedback. I don't remember exactly but there is some visual indication like the warning light should flash a few times or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL
Since there's no feedback to you on the reset, perhaps the button didn't make good contact and the monitor wasn't reset at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2005, 11:03 PM   #16
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

There is a feedback to let you know that the light has been reset. The oil change indicator light will start flashing once the oil reset button has been held down long enough and the system recognizes that.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread