SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 04:45 PM   #1
IonizedBlack
IonizedBlack is on a distinguished road

Default Dash kit vs. painting pieces

I apologize in advance for the numerous amount of probably stupid questions I'm about to ask, but any insight would be helpful.

I'd like to tackle modifying the dash, and I'm now deciding between either purchasing a carbon fiber (or possibly brushed aluminum) dash kit, and painting the dash pieces in some color scheme to be determined.

1. Where could I find a carbon fiber or brushed aluminum dash kit?
2. How much would I expect to spend on the kit, and how difficult is the installation process?
3. If I decided on painting the pieces, how do I remove them to paint them?
4. What kind of paint would be best to use/Any tips on the actual process of painting?
5. Would you recommend the kit or painting?

Any color scheme suggestions for a black Ion 3? Nothing is done color-wise yet, so I don't have to worry about clashing.

Thank you so much!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IonizedBlack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IonizedBlack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2004, 05:05 PM   #2
SlimSaturn
SlimSaturn is on a distinguished road

I was thinking of the same thing last night. the painting process is simple. Sand paper 80 grit to scuff it up. Then clean the plastic. Put on the bondo let it dry, sand it with 80 grit and add mroe bondo if needed, sand with 80 grit, then sand with 240 grit and 320 grit wet sand for better results. Then primer, then you can paint it. As for removing the stuff i haven't even looked into that. as for the paiting process i am having a buddy paint for me who does auto painting. I am thinking of doing it in silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlimSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlimSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-04-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
BLUEION2
Advanced Member
BLUEION2 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

heres a few pics of my dash, if this helps. I used both paint and the carbon fiber trim pieces.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BLUEION2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BLUEION2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-04-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
SlimSaturn
SlimSaturn is on a distinguished road

did you just paint it right on the plastic?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlimSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlimSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-04-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
washamur
washamur is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Yeah, I just finished getting my Carbon Fiber Dash Kit put into place ... no pics yet.

I ordered my kit from Wooddash.com and got it pretty quick, and it's absolutely well made.

Pretty easy to install, just take your time and do it right. Comes with 27 pieces and shipping is FREE!

Not too sure about painting though ... if you have a place that can "dip" the pieces, that's probably the best thing to do.

Like BlueIONDriver did ... looks amazing!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to washamur's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help washamur reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:44 PM   #6
jmettee
jmettee is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by SlimSaturn
I was thinking of the same thing last night. the painting process is simple. Sand paper 80 grit to scuff it up. Then clean the plastic. Put on the bondo let it dry, sand it with 80 grit and add mroe bondo if needed, sand with 80 grit, then sand with 240 grit and 320 grit wet sand for better results. Then primer, then you can paint it. As for removing the stuff i haven't even looked into that. as for the paiting process i am having a buddy paint for me who does auto painting. I am thinking of doing it in silver
WOAH! I wouldn't touch anything plastic with 80 grit! That's way too rough. I would start with 220 grit. You just need to lightly scuff the paint.

I just painted my IP trim & the radio bezel (& I have the crosses from my wheels primered right now). I used fine (burgundy) Scotchbrite & it easily scuffed the dash pieces.

FYI....many of the plastic pieces on the dash are painted....the IP cover & the radio bezel are both painted....you'll see this when you take them off & look at the back.

I'm using Krylon primer (is lists plastic on the can), & Dupli-Color auto paint, with Dupli-color clearcoat. It's going on good....should last & not fade since it's auto paint.....time will tell, but scuffing & cleaning the plastic is key.

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m
"Giggity Giggity Goo" -Quagmire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmettee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmettee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2004, 12:57 AM   #7
XCantYouSeeX
XCantYouSeeX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by jmettee
WOAH! I wouldn't touch anything plastic with 80 grit! That's way too rough. I would start with 220 grit. You just need to lightly scuff the paint.

I just painted my IP trim & the radio bezel (& I have the crosses from my wheels primered right now). I used fine (burgundy) Scotchbrite & it easily scuffed the dash pieces.

FYI....many of the plastic pieces on the dash are painted....the IP cover & the radio bezel are both painted....you'll see this when you take them off & look at the back.

I'm using Krylon primer (is lists plastic on the can), & Dupli-Color auto paint, with Dupli-color clearcoat. It's going on good....should last & not fade since it's auto paint.....time will tell, but scuffing & cleaning the plastic is key.

J

wow.....
thats very tasteful.... i like it alot!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XCantYouSeeX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XCantYouSeeX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:53 AM   #8
Esca
Esca is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Is the Duplic-Color clear coat a gloss finish?

I want to keep to the factory dull/satin finish, but am having trouble finding auto clear coat that has the satin finish. Can i just use any satin finish listed for use with plastics?

AEM CAI
JS STB, Progress rear swaybar, Eibach springs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Esca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Esca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2004, 08:54 AM   #9
BlueIonDriver
BlueIonDriver is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I would think that once you have applied a base color coat (useing plastic paint) that anything ELSE you would put on it, as in clear coating, would actually be adhering to the other coat of paint and not hte plastic, so you shouldnt be restrained from useing any clear coat you want.

2007 Storm Grey Ion Quad Coupe:"Sport Appearance Package"-Performance package: 2.4L Ecotec

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlueIonDriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlueIonDriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:19 AM   #10
Esca

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Thats what I was thinking as well. But I'm more worried about the durability of the clear coat and the heat it will undergo during the summer.

AEM CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Esca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Esca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:23 AM   #11
BlueIonDriver

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

get an automotive grade paint.

2007 Storm Grey Ion Quad Coupe:"Sport Appearance Package"-Performance package: 2.4L Ecotec

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BlueIonDriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:45 AM   #12
jmettee

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by Esca
Is the Duplic-Color clear coat a gloss finish?

I want to keep to the factory dull/satin finish, but am having trouble finding auto clear coat that has the satin finish. Can i just use any satin finish listed for use with plastics?
Yes, the Dupli-Color I used is gloss (the cap is hazy, but that's cuz it's plastic). You would need to look for a Satin clearcoat, but in the world of autos, the only satin/non-gloss paint I've seen is primer. You may be out of luck, but I don't know. Check out a parts store & see what's available.

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jmettee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:46 AM   #13
Esca

2003 ION-3 Sedan

really? doesn't appear to be very glossy over the silver paint... if i didn't know, i would have thought you used a satin finish.

AEM CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Esca's Reputation
Old 05-05-2004, 11:46 AM   #14
jmettee

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueIonDriver
get an automotive grade paint.
agreed, anything else will just fade & probably will not be a durable to withstand the heat.

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2004, 11:48 AM   #15
jmettee

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally posted by Esca
really? doesn't appear to be very glossy over the silver paint... if i didn't know, i would have thought you used a satin finish.
I'll take some closeups tonite....it is glossy. Check the reflection of the gauges ....that pod piece has texture, so it isn't like a vehicle finish gloss. The radio bezel does seem to have a satin finish from that pic.

I also painted some more plastic, put the clearcoat on this morning so it'll be ready to re-install tonite. Stay tuned....

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2004, 12:02 PM   #16
BlueIonDriver

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

heres and idea.........
take it to a body shop in your area, have um primer it , spray it and clear it with all automotive paint! thatd be awesome, and would be perfect

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2004, 12:10 PM   #17
jmettee

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

would flat + clear = satin? hmmmm that's interesting, that may work. Good thinking Blue....

maybe it's look flat, bust still have a gloss when looking from an angle....

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2004, 10:51 PM   #18
IonizedBlack

After reading the responses, I've added to my huge list of questions.

1. How do I actually get these pieces off?!
2. BLUEION2, where is your dash kit from? (I also love the look of your interior!
3. As for the simulated CF kits, how does it actually look up close? I mean I know it's not going to be identical to real carbon fiber, but how far off is it?
4. Washamur, about how long did the install take you?
5. Any more pictures? I appreciate the responses thus far!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help IonizedBlack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:03 PM   #19
jmettee

2003 ION-3 Quad Coupe

IonizedBlack, where in PA are you located?

To remove the radio bezel, you gotta pull like hell on the vents (straight back). It's tough, but it'll pop. I think you have to start at the top....if you start at the bottom, you'll probably break the plastic. Also, don't use a screwdriver to pry as you will break or mar the plastic. Once you get one fastener to pop out, you can work your way around the bezel....there are 6 fasteners.

The IP cover has 1 bolt that you can get to after you remove the radio bezel. Then you have 5 (3 in front, 2 in back) of the snap fasteners to pull off for the IP pod. A trick is o work from the underside & use the handle of a tool to push the fasteners up rather than pulling up on the IP pod.

It's tought, but if you're carefuly, but strong, you'll get it.

J

2003 SATURN Ion QC3m

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-05-2004, 11:09 PM   #20
IonizedBlack

Quote:
Originally posted by jmettee
IonizedBlack, where in PA are you located?

To remove the radio bezel, you gotta pull like hell on the vents (straight back). It's tough, but it'll pop. I think you have to start at the top....if you start at the bottom, you'll probably break the plastic. Also, don't use a screwdriver to pry as you will break or mar the plastic. Once you get one fastener to pop out, you can work your way around the bezel....there are 6 fasteners.

The IP cover has 1 bolt that you can get to after you remove the radio bezel. Then you have 5 (3 in front, 2 in back) of the snap fasteners to pull off for the IP pod. A trick is o work from the underside & use the handle of a tool to push the fasteners up rather than pulling up on the IP pod.

It's tought, but if you're carefuly, but strong, you'll get it.

J
I'm in Lancaster. Also, thanks so much for the crucial info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread