SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2019, 08:03 PM   #21
laser3kw
laser3kw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1
Default Re: Does TranSynd improve M/T shift smoothness?

does a 2000 SC1 manual use a Dexron 3 "G" or Dexron 3 "H"?
I was looking at a data sheet that specify that the manufactures fluid was compatible for both ( assumption on their behalf that it is strictly automatic use)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2019, 10:23 PM   #22
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The stuff I bought says it is both:
https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03520.../dp/B00DILUBL6

Seems ok in both my Saturns and my $200 Buick. The '99 still shifts sweetly, the '98 still grinds into third.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #23
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That is supposed to be the current Universal ATF formulation that is Dexron/Mercon compatible. The issue is the 40C viscosity. The manual requires a certain amount of fluid coupling to shift smoothly and grinding into 3rd is likely the result of the viscosity being a bit on the low side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:37 AM   #24
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Perfect - now I know what to do with my collection of 90W. I think there is more wrong with the '98 than ATF viscosity. The '99 shifts beautifully on the same stuff.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #25
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Any gear oil will dissolve the friction material glue.Only ATF or Synchromesh fluids will work and Synchromesh is much heavier weights than ATF. The synchromesh must be a full synthetic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #26
lilwhitetruck
lilwhitetruck is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

All,
I read through this entire thread and I'm kind of confused. I've also read through other thread on this subject. As I stated in my other thread I just acquired a 2002 5 speed manual. I know the fluid probably has not been changed because there is no maintenance schedule for it, but I still want to bring everything up to current since it is my daily driver of 140 miles round trip every 4 days. So my question is since we cannot get the Saturn Approved fluid, which to my understanding from read this and other threads is not DexronIII and Dexron IV and above is not compatible, what fluid should I use to refill my transmission? As always Thanks in Advance.

2001 Saturn Silver SC2 Leather Interior with 297K and a newly acquired 2002 White Fully Loaded, With only 87K! My new DD!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lilwhitetruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lilwhitetruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lilwhitetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:45 PM   #27
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You can use any UNIVERSAL ATF marked as Dexron/Mercon compatible( current Dexron-3 equivalent ) which was listed by Saturn as acceptable temporary fill. The other choice is Amsoil Torque-Drive. Either way do not fill past 1/2 up on the cross hatch.

Anything else you decide to use is up to you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2019, 12:03 AM   #28
lilwhitetruck
lilwhitetruck is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

Thanks OldNuc, much appreciated.

2001 Saturn Silver SC2 Leather Interior with 297K and a newly acquired 2002 White Fully Loaded, With only 87K! My new DD!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lilwhitetruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lilwhitetruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lilwhitetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #29
Fishfreq
Fishfreq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
The Transynd is a Group IV fluid, as are all the major oils that have been TES 295 approved for years.

The Transynd has and has had for years product data sheets with the specifics.

Allison allowed outside testing.

Companies other than Castrol have (and have had for years) approved fluids.

Amsoil never submitted for testing. They make a lot of smoke and mirrors about it.

The engineer that wrote most of the specs, did the testing, etc retired from Allison and has been active on a number of forums for years now. He clears up a lot of myths concerning fluids (such as "they won't allow us to test") as well as the reasons for the Dex VI confusion in the Allison transmissions. People can listen to the myths, or get the info from the guy that has loads more data than we do.
That's interesting. Heard that guy was around here. I recently bought some Sun (?) Transynd for my truck with an Allison trans. I've got over 170k on that thing and I think the Amsoil TS may be to credit, but what do I know?

I may just use that in my '98 SL1 and see if it helps? My m/t is just a little notchy, I rev match so it's not too bad. Only thing is at stop lights, standing still, it just doesn't like to go smooth into 1st gear, like it's a straight-cut gear or something? I just need it to roll a little and it goes right in. So, I drop it into 2nd, release the clutch just a tiny bit to make a little motion, then clutch it fully, push it up into 1st no problem. Is this the '1st gear blocking'? Anyone else have this block?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fishfreq's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fishfreq reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fishfreq is offline   Reply With Quote