SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
Snotrockits
Snotrockits is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Red Line
Default Dumb Automatic Transmission Question

Did the Automatic Vue's with Honda engines ever get paired with a non-honda transmission, or is it assured that a Vue with a Honda V6 has a honda trans?
(FWD was given the MJ7, AWD got the MJ8, right?)

I have an 07 FWD V6 Red Line and am curious as I would like to do a trans fluid drain/fill. Just making sure its Honda DW-1 I should be using.

Any ways to verify what model of tranny I have?

Thanks all!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Snotrockits's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Snotrockits reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Snotrockits is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2019, 06:33 PM   #2
Buckmeister
Buckmeister is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Dumb Automatic Transmission Question

I changed mine with Honda Fluid that carries a Z-1 specification.

There is a valvoline ATF thst carries the honda specification, i got a good price on a big bottle at walmart. Just make sure you check the bottle, the right and wrong valvoline bottles are almost identical.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Buckmeister's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Buckmeister reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Buckmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #3
Woodpecker
Woodpecker is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

You definitely have the Honda 5-speed auto. After quite a bit of research, I was confident in using Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc, which lists Z1 on the back as stated. A great place to research is bobistheoilguy.com. Rest assured I read up on it plenty before making the decision.

My car had a bad torque converter shudder when I bought it at 128k miles. I did a drain and refill, then drove it several miles to mix the fluid, and then did another drain and refill. By the 2nd refill, the shudder was gone, and the shifts were crisp. I drove like that for maybe 5k miles, and did another drain/refill. It now has 150k on it, and shifts great.

This is the one you want: https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...ti-vehicle-atf

You can buy it for around $25-28/gallon at WalMart or AutoZone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Woodpecker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Woodpecker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #4
Snotrockits

2007 VUE Red Line

Guys! Thank you so much! This is exactly the info I was looking for!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Snotrockits reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #5
Snotrockits

2007 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post

My car had a bad torque converter shudder when I bought it at 128k miles. I did a drain and refill, then drove it several miles to mix the fluid, and then did another drain and refill. By the 2nd refill, the shudder was gone, and the shifts were crisp. I drove like that for maybe 5k miles, and did another drain/refill. It now has 150k on it, and shifts great.
Out of curiosity, what was the nature of the shudder? I've yet to experience any shuddering (and hopefully never will), but I'm still not clear as to what this "shuddering" feels like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
Woodpecker
Woodpecker is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotrockits View Post
Out of curiosity, what was the nature of the shudder? I've yet to experience any shuddering (and hopefully never will), but I'm still not clear as to what this "shuddering" feels like.
Shuddering of the torque converter usually happens at a low RPM, but high load situation, like driving right at 50mph when it goes into 5th, but you're just cruising. These Hondas (not just in the Vue) are known for it, and they had a recall or campaign that extended the warranties on some of them because it was so common. If it hasn't happened for too long, it's fixable by the fluid drain/refill. Honda recommends doing it 3 times back to back, driving some mileage in between to mix the old and new fluid. Doing it 3 times is almost a full fluid changeout. Do not flush, per Honda.

I bought mine for cheap, because the guy thought the trans was going out. It wasn't. This is mostly brought on by a breakdown of the fluid. Z1 was really bad about it, and the DW-1 isn't much better by all accounts.

The shudder almost feels like an ignition miss, like a vibration. If the fluid is original, I'd do it at least twice. It takes right at a gallon each time, and that was doing it on ramps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Woodpecker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Woodpecker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote