SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
kydanny
kydanny is on a distinguished road

Default transynd

If transynd is the best transmission fluid to use in everything from little Saturn transmissions all the way up to large Allison transmissions, is it unfit for any transmission made today??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kydanny's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kydanny reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kydanny is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: transynd

Be very careful trying to obtain the actual Casterol Transynd in the US. You can use Amsoil Torque-Drive in any transmission that is specked for Dexron-3. The actual list is longer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:28 PM   #3
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the roughJ N Winkler is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydanny View Post
If TranSynd is the best transmission fluid to use in everything from little Saturn transmissions all the way up to large Allison transmissions, is it unfit for any transmission made today?
Yes, it is. It is unfit for use in transmissions that specify new-generation low-viscosity ATFs, and for older transmissions (mainly in import cars) where the factory specification calls for friction modifiers and so is not equivalent to Dexron III. For any transmission that calls for straight Dexron III, however, it is wonderful stuff.

TranSynd can be found, but in some cities it is a challenge. In Wichita (as I have described in other threads), I had to visit at least four truck parts vendors before I found one that could even order TranSynd. A few I visited, including the one that pushed through the TranSynd order, told me that they had TranSynd available and then brought out a different brand of fluid that also meets the Allison TES-295 specification.

I have an uncle who splits his time between Tucson and Portland and uses TranSynd in the automatic transmission in his RV, and he has repeated the standard line about TranSynd being available at truck stops. Wichita does not have truck stops as such, so that was not an option for me, and I don't know if my uncle has actually gone to a truck stop himself and attempted to buy it. The last lot of TranSynd he used was sold to him with the RV.

Amsoil Torque-Drive is a TranSynd clone and I'd second OldNuc's suggestion largely on the basis that ordering online incurs a lot less shoe-leather cost than doing the rounds of truck stops or truck part vendors. Another option is just to pick another TES-295 fluid (the Shell Spirax and Mobil Delvac lines have ATFs that are TES-295 compliant, for example), but no-one has tried this and reported the results on the forum, so we don't really know how these alternatives compare to straight TranSynd other than being about $8-$10 cheaper per gallon jug. The suspicion is that they use API Group III+ basestocks instead of straight Group IV/V to meet the TES-295 specification at a lower price point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J N Winkler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J N Winkler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Transynd is only available in the US at the true Allison transmission shops. The bottle will be branded Allison in big letters and have a small Casterol mark on the front. If you can not find an Allison transmission shop then you are going to end up with something other than what you think you are buying.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #5
CZECHLAGER
CZECHLAGER has a spectacular aura aboutCZECHLAGER has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
1995 SW1

Hello, I found Casterol TranSynd at a Peterbuilt dealer cause they also had an Allison dealer sign hanging under the Peterbuilt sign. Also I found it at a Volvo/Mack dealer the same way. They were both out of one gal. jugs and said if I come back with my own jug they would sell me a gallon out of the bulk gun.Then the parts guy said we do have Mobile Delvac Synthetic ATF that is Allison TES-295 Approved and recommended by Allison if you want it, Sold $47.99. Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CZECHLAGER's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CZECHLAGER reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CZECHLAGER is offline   Reply With Quote