SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which Engine has the best life span
2.2L 14 56.00%
3.0L 0 0%
3.5L 12 48.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
darnell89
darnell89 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Wrench Average Engine Life

It's been a while since I owned a SATURN, really miss my SATURN's, and was wondering which engine on the Vue (2002-2007) models have the best engine life?

Saturn Vue 2.2L vs. 3.0L vs. 3.5L engine average life span

SATURN FAN 4 LYFE (Darnell)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to darnell89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help darnell89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
darnell89 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Average Engine Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell89 View Post
It's been a while since I owned a SATURN, really miss my SATURN's, and was wondering which engine on the Vue (2002-2007) models have the best engine life?

Saturn Vue 2.2L vs. 3.0L vs. 3.5L engine average life span
From what I can conjure up, it's the 2.2s with a slight advantage over the 3.5s. But it really depends on the owner and how they are taken care of.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
flyingj
Advanced Member
flyingj will become famous soon enoughflyingj will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 3.5L

^^^ And if the 2.2 has the Vti tranny with it. While that doesn't shorten the life of the engine, it does shorten the life of the Vue!

2001 L-200 2.2l
DOB: 05/08/01 Owned: 07/01/07 to 10/30/18

2006 Vue 3.5L AWD Mileage: 145,000
DOB: 08/24/05 Date Acquired: 12/15/06

2019 GMC Acadia (aka Saturn Outlook)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flyingj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flyingj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flyingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
darnell89

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortugalFocus View Post
From what I can conjure up, it's the 2.2s with a slight advantage over the 3.5s. But it really depends on the owner and how they are taken care of.
That's very true. People that aren't true fans of SATURN or good owners of vehicles tend to screw the vehicles up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help darnell89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
darnell89

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingj View Post
^^^ And if the 2.2 has the Vti tranny with it. While that doesn't shorten the life of the engine, it does shorten the life of the Vue!
Yea, the VTi is a no go for me. Has to be the Manual on the 2.2L.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2018, 04:05 AM   #6
Eric75
Eric75 is on a distinguished road

Yes, we have a 2003 Saturn Vue with a manuel transmission. I wouldn't have it any other way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eric75's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eric75 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eric75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:08 AM   #7
emsvitil
Advanced Member
emsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L

2.2 will start burning oil when they get up in miles.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emsvitil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emsvitil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emsvitil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #8
oldmanina2005vu
oldmanina2005vu will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 SKY Red Line

My sons 2005 Vue 5 speed has 217,000 and is still going strong. I bought it with 110,000 with jumped timing. After rebuilding the head and replacing the timing chain set, balance shaft chain set, and timing chain tensioner it has run flawlessly. It doesn't burn any oil that I can tell. It does have a small leak through the block from porosity. I replaced the clutch and pressure plate while I had the engine out. Great little car but starting to show it's age.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oldmanina2005vu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oldmanina2005vu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oldmanina2005vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
2.2 will start burning oil when they get up in miles.
How much added oil consumption do you think that might it be? Though not a VUE owner, my car shares an engine also available in that model. The engine in my car uses up one quart, or sometimes less, over the course of 3K miles and with 278K on the odometer as of today's date.

The best thing an owner can do for his/her car is to change the oil and filter regularly and not let it get past its required service interval. If one does that then the likelihood of greater longevity and lesser oil consumption between oil changes improves.

(Note: engine and transmission on my car are original with no internal moving parts replaced to date. Only regular servicing as recommended by Saturn.)

321,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 01-07-2018 at 08:50 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:51 AM   #10
emsvitil
Advanced Member
emsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L

Enough to put a hole in the block.

My picture is of my sisters

<------

For the longest time it didn't burn any oil at all.

She got used to that and quit checking.

Then it started burning oil....................

I researched here:

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/index.php

If I remember correctly it has something to do with PVC system.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emsvitil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emsvitil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emsvitil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:05 PM   #11
stefanP
stefanP is on a distinguished road

I have a 04 Vue 5spd.2 to 3 Quarts of oil a week.Trying to find a engine now.Other than that it is a great little suv.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stefanP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stefanP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stefanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
GMDad
GMDad will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L

We had an 04 with the 2.2 5 spd. Great little car but then I found an 06 Equinox full load with a 3.4 auto and traded the Vue in on it. Bad mistake. Nowhere near as nice as the Vue in my opinion. Couple cars later and found an 07 Vue with the 3.5 auto Has 220K KM on it. Love it more than the 04 and has been a great little car. Just the normal maintenance done on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GMDad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GMDad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #13
aerial_22
aerial_22 has a spectacular aura aboutaerial_22 has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 2.2L

I have a 2007 Saturn VUE with the 2.2L Ecotec engine. I am at 236,000 miles, and have no issues with burning oil. I use the synthetic blend high mileage oil every 5,000-7,000 miles. Hoping with good maintenance I can push this baby to 300,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aerial_22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aerial_22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aerial_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:04 AM   #14
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
Enough to put a hole in the block.

My picture is of my sisters

<------

For the longest time it didn't burn any oil at all.

She got used to that and quit checking.

Then it started burning oil....................

I researched here:

http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/index.php

If I remember correctly it has something to do with PVC system.
I've been thinking about this reply recently and I think that something is not right. The larger concern here relates to a simple failure regarding an automotive fundamental: checking the crankcase oil level. All of us here know that that this is basic to car ownership. Whether or not the PCV system contributed to an increase in oil consumption is somewhat beside the point. Had the oil been checked regularly and if oil had been added when it was needed, then this particular engine failure might have been avoided. Frankly, I think it would have been avoided. (To be intellectually honest, I must reserve the possibility of a catastrophic failure arising regardless of proper maintenance - how ever small that possibility may be.)

FWIW, I happen to have a PCV valve test tool which was used at my father's service station many years ago. I've used it to test the PCV valve on my car's engine and it continues to function normally.

321,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote