SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
xxcrashxx
xxcrashxx is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default fabricating non-fluted lens

So i have a project going on, I need to have the lens clear, like clear clear w/out the fluting lines. Im kinda stuck at the part of making the mold from the original lens. I tried filling the original lens with plaster of paris, had some difficulty removing it, it appears as though the corner edge got a bit stuck and that ended breaking off while removing it from the lens. I did pick up a 25lb bag of the stuff, so i will be trying a few things differently.

Is there a better method of making a mold from the headlight lens instead of using plaster of paris, or do i just have to be more careful removing the plaster from the mold??

-xxcrashxx
1994 Saturn SL2 w/ Standard Transmission

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xxcrashxx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xxcrashxx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xxcrashxx is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
spacemanspif
Advanced Member
spacemanspif will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: fabricating non-fluted lens

http://www.alumilite.com/howtos/Tail...oEquipment.cfm

I'm assuming you are talking about headlight lenses, right??

That link is kind of a walk through for making a tail light but head light would be similar. They are trying to sell you their products but it might be best to buy a kit when doing these kinds of things. You would probably want to fill in the fluting of the original lens so the mold that you make is smooth on the inside...put a lot of effort into that step for best results. I think others have spent the time with wet sand paper to smooth out the fluting on the inside of the lens when they do projector retro fits when adding HID. Sanding down will take some time and elbow grease but your labor is free.

Care to elaborate on your project??

-Mike

1995 SL2 5spd - Stock/MP2 trans swap - 258,XXX miles - 38mpg @ 65mph
1987 Monte Carlo SS - 5.3/4L80E swap - 13.92@103mph - 19mpg @65mph - needs POSI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spacemanspif's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spacemanspif reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spacemanspif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Redhotftw!
Advanced Member
Redhotftw! will become famous soon enough

Dude, just get various sanding discs and balls and sand it off.
Some one put together a buy in for these, had some made, and, go figure, no one wanted to pony up cash.

Others have been very successful sanding it off.

1998 "Red Hot" Sc2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Redhotftw!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Redhotftw! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Redhotftw! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member
aaron95sl2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhotftw! View Post
Dude, just get various sanding discs and balls and sand it off.
Some one put together a buy in for these, had some made, and, go figure, no one wanted to pony up cash.

Others have been very successful sanding it off.
If I had known, I would have bought some. Now that I have a new engine in my car, the headlights are my biggest complaint.

1995 SL2 | Fully loaded | 165k on odometer |30k on new engine w/ KB-S pistons - not a single drop of oil lost so far!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aaron95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aaron95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aaron95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I can get clear housing's for ~$30 per side. Need the "performance kit" according to the idiotic FLAPS interchange guide and only '91-'96 SC2's got it

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
aaron95sl2
Advanced Member
aaron95sl2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
I can get clear housing's for ~$30 per side. Need the "performance kit" according to the idiotic FLAPS interchange guide and only '91-'96 SC2's got it
Yes, there are plenty of 6x8 sealed-beam clear replacement options for the pop up headlights in your SC. But us 1st gen SL/SW owners have a total of ZERO aftermarket headlight housing options. We must fabricate our own clear lenses.

There was somebody on here talking a few months ago about molding some replacement lenses out of lexan or plexiglass or something, but I forgot who it was.

1995 SL2 | Fully loaded | 165k on odometer |30k on new engine w/ KB-S pistons - not a single drop of oil lost so far!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aaron95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aaron95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aaron95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: fabricating non-fluted lens

I did something like that for some old Jaguar turn signal lenses where the originals were yellowed and cracked. The car was so old that I couldn't buy replacements.

I pieced the originals together as best I could, sanded and filled them to be smooth and then made silicone molds from them. The only difference is that I put a layer of silicone on the original lenses, then layers of gauze (to make the molds stiffer) and finished with silicone pours just like on the website.

The new ones (clear) turned out great and went with the car when I sold it. I gave the molds to the new owner and he seemed quite happy to get them.

I also did something similar a while back for a cracked projector headlight lens on the beemer ($185 OEM versus $20 DIY). It's still on the car and still hasn't yellowed or anything.

I think that the filling and smoothing of the originals may be the ticket for what the OP wanted to do (to make non-fluted versions of the originals).

I pieced my molds and lenses together with materials from Tap Plastics, but I agree with spacemanspif that you may be better off buying a kit. At least then you know that all the materials are compatible.

Another possibility would be to make plaster molds of the originals (female molds) and take them to a plastics shop. They can vacuum form plastic into the mold and you'd have a smooth (inside and out) surface in the color of your choice.

There are loads of plans on the web for DIY vacuum forming things. I want to play with that technique a bit myself. I know a guy in LA who built all his own vacuum forming equipment and has been in business using it for over 30 years. It is not rocket science.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

Last edited by DIYguy; 04-15-2012 at 02:04 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote