SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
pbndunn
pbndunn is on a distinguished road

Default Cats and o2..please help

i just got an erroe code i believe it was p0137..o2 sensor 1 bank 2. i have NOOO idea what this means..im pretty good with cars and doing maitenance but i dont usually tangle with the oxygen sensors..i have looked everywhere but i cant figure out how many o2 sensors i need or how many the car has...

I thought the car had 2, but my research tells me the car has a pre cat on the exhaust manifold and a cat under the seats..so 4 sensors? my problem is really that i do not know which ones to buy, i want to buy them online my local parts store only has bosch and im not a fan of their products..

my next question is can i gut the pre cat? i have read online that you can but i would not want to throw an error code. I was going to replace the under seat cat and flex pipe since it is like $115 dollars not toooo bad..but since ill be down there im wondering if i can gut the one on the headers.. my car is a 2000 sl1 5 speed with 124k miles..it runs pretty good just has NO power at all.. i know its not a racecar but it almost seems liek the cat is clogged.

well thanks in advance for the help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pbndunn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pbndunn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pbndunn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Daishi360
Daishi360 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: Cats and o2..please help

Hey, it sounds like you might have a clogged CAT or a bad O2 sensor. Code p0137 is for Bank 1, Sensor 2, which means it is the sensor behind the converter (the big one under the car). This sensor doesn't affect mixture, but it does measure catalytic converter efficiency. When that sensor throws a code, as yours is, it is indicative of catalytic converter problems (i.e. clogged cat), or an exhaust leak near the sensor. Or the sensor itself might be bad.

If you have never replaced the oxygen sensors, it would be a good idea to do so. The car has 2 sensors, one in the header and one after the main CatCon. Stay away from the BOSCH universal sensors. Instead, use an OEM direct-fit model that plugs right into the connector, such as the NTK 21538 (downstream) and NTK 21501 (upstream). These sensors are about $45 each, and having good sensors in there will improve overall fuel mixture (upstream sensor) and give you good feedback about the catalytic converter performance.

I believe you can punch out the pre-cat and not have any problems, especially since that is the one that tends to get clogged.

1998 SL2 5-Speed
I/H/E
AMR Engineering Strut Braces & Rear Sway Bar
AMR Radiator
SDA Dogbones & TAM
Engine Rebuilt at 138K (crankshaft, rering, remanned head)
210K miles
--------------------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Daishi360's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Daishi360 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Daishi360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

i concur with Daiishi-
NTK/DENSO are good , bosch earned bad repute-

Old Nuk has reported that the only function of the precat is within first
minute of runtime ... and that it is only marginal when operational ,
and often fails/clogs; good to get rid of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
pbndunn

Thanks alot guys i really appreciate it. i think i am going to order 2 new o2 sensors and gut the pre cat. I figure it will probably be better to just get it all done at once so i know its good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pbndunn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
pbndunn

well i was not able to gut my cat...its too tight of a fit and i could not get the bolts off..i might see if the local exhaust shop can do it for me..as for the o2 sensors..i found the NTK rear sensor but does anyone know if denso is good? its only a few bucks cheaper so i guess it doesnt matter..and should i replace both of them at once or just the bad rear one? thanks guys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
Daishi360
Daishi360 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

The Denso direct-fit O2 sensor will also be fine, it is a quality sensor. If you are simply trying to troubleshoot the engine code, just replace the rear sensor and see if the code goes away. If it doesn't, then you have issues with the converter(s). If the code does go away, then your rear sensor was worn out.

Replacing the front sensor is more preventative maintenance, and it could help the car run better if the old sensor is reading a touch off (the front sensor helps control fuel trim)

1998 SL2 5-Speed
I/H/E
AMR Engineering Strut Braces & Rear Sway Bar
AMR Radiator
SDA Dogbones & TAM
Engine Rebuilt at 138K (crankshaft, rering, remanned head)
210K miles
--------------------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Daishi360's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Daishi360 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Daishi360 is offline   Reply With Quote