SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Dudds
Dudds is on a distinguished road

Wrench 2001 SL2: Engine noises and staggered performance

I've got a SL2 2001 that will idle "hard" (idler drops to 600-700rpm then jumps to ~1100 rpm and finally falls back to ~1000rpm), intermittently, and when in gear the engine makes a "clanking" noise, anywhere from 2-8 times per second or so, when it's at the lower RPMs. When driving longer stretches, the engine is at around 2000-2400rpm and the noise is gone.

It has problems climbing hills and sometimes coming from full stop which feels like the engine has lost power, temporarily, and then goes away once it reaches 2000rpm +.

Additionally, there is a OBDII code that indicates a misfire in the 2nd cylinder, but that's only happened recently. I've changed the oil, it's currently got synthetic in it, and although the noise from the engine appeared to go away for a few days, maybe a week, it returned. The idling issues remained even after changing the oil. The SES light goes off if I do freeway driving all week but returns if any major traffic shows up (lower RPM seems to affect this) or on the weekend when I do mostly street driving.

I've read about the EGR valve and will more then likely attempt the block test from YouTube video "8YRq2Xl58Oo". (Can't post URLs).

What other things should I consider? I've been told by a friend that replacing the fuel filter, relay and finally pump (in that order, not at the same time) might solve the problem.

When I was last at AutoZone, one of the staff listened to the noise and checked out the throttle and a few other things, just visual/listening test type stuff, and told me that it might be an engine problem.

So I've heard 3 different areas of the car could be related to the problem and I've not really any idea where to start besides the EGR test. Any advice is appreciated as I've read lots of the threads here and saved lots of time, money and learned way more than I ever thought I would about my car in the process!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dudds's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dudds reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dudds is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links