SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Is the 'new' Saturn affordable? In a word, no.

The Astra was Saturn's lowest priced car by a large margin. We know the Astra didn't sell well here in the US but what can be expected from a single year model that few have ever seen let alone heard of? IMO it could have been a big seller with the right promotion but that's water under the bridge so I'll get to my point...

Now that the Astra will no longer be carried in the states I'd like to know how Saturn can be considered an 'affordable' brand. Based on Saturn's own pricing ( HERE ) the Astra is around $16,500 MSRP. Remove the Astra from the lineup and the lowest priced Saturn is the Aura at around $23,400 MSRP. That's a $7K difference. Even if you subtract the $2750 back in rebates you're talking about a car that's over 20K before tax, destination, dealer fees, etc. Keep in mind that's the *base* model.

I can't speak for anyone else but when I think affordable I think something that's significantly under $20K in base configuration. Without the Astra I don't think even a base new Saturn is going to leave the lot under $23K. That is not what I consider affordable. I'm sure Penske plans to bring a budget model here in the future but where is a model to compete with Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Kia, Hyundai, etc right now?

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Is the 'new' Saturn affordable? In a word, no.

Considering that each retailer sold on average 2 Astras last month, I think they will survive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

I was at my dealer this morning. Mr. Penske has told them the entry level car in the Saturn line-up will start at $13,000 to $14,000. Should see progress towards year end.

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
l57
l57 is on a distinguished road

Penske isn't stupid...in fact, far from it. If you read the interview with him posted on this forum you'll notice his first priority is to get the sales volume up and everyone knows in order to do that you need a bread & butter car like the Corolla is to the Camry or Civic is to the Accord. I think you'll see one in your showroom by October/November.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to l57's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help l57 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
l57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Dizzy Re: Is the 'new' Saturn affordable? In a word, no.

Rob, with all due respect, I am reading "IS" as you wrote:

"Is the 'new' Saturn affordable?" Yes, it IS. You and I both own affordable Astras and there are plenty at dealers to be purchased still. Between now and then who can say what Penske will have planned by then?

Oh, we can all speculate, but thats about all. How many Speculated, Ranted and Raved here about the demise of Saturn only to eat crow yesterday when the official announcement was made?

Now if we reword your question "WILL the 'New' Saturn be affordable? Well, again Penske has not even taken possession of the company yet, finalizations have not occurred on everything and Penske is a brilliant businessman and knows how to run a successful business.

Let's all give Penske a chance and see what happens - once he takes full possession of Saturn, which has not happened yet and will possibly not occur until later this year.

Until then, if anyone can read in to the future with 100% accuracy, please tell me what tomorrow's winning lotto numbers will be. (I promise to share the loot.)

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #6
AstraNorth
AstraNorth is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I just realized why the sales of the Astra was so low in the U.S......the lack of CUP HOLDERS and no MP3 jack for those long commutes. In Canada, we don't need a cup holder, we just put the beer bottle or Tim Hortons TRAVEL MUG between our legs .......and we like to sing to ourselves or listen to the CD player, as our commute is only 20 minutes....in the prairies.

Ha Ha.... Just thought a little humour would help not knowing if us Canadians will have a Saturn dealer to take our Saturn too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Thumbs Up Re: Is the 'new' Saturn affordable? In a word, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraNorth View Post
I just realized why the sales of the Astra was so low in the U.S......the lack of CUP HOLDERS and no MP3 jack for those long commutes. In Canada, we don't need a cup holder, we just put the beer bottle or Tim Hortons TRAVEL MUG between our legs .......and we like to sing to ourselves or listen to the CD player, as our commute is only 20 minutes....in the prairies.

Ha Ha.... Just thought a little humour would help not knowing if us Canadians will have a Saturn dealer to take our Saturn too.
Wait, no Molsons? I love Molsons Ale! I keep mine in my chilled glovebox now, LOL.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #8
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
I was at my dealer this morning. Mr. Penske has told them the entry level car in the Saturn line-up will start at $13,000 to $14,000. Should see progress towards year end.
Wow Roger called and talked to one dealer and told them what the car would cost. Sure would be nice if he were to call the dealerships in this area, he didn't call my store.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

In most locations, the market price for Saturns including the Astra has been below MSRP for several months. Now that we know the Saturn brand won't disappear, the great incentive adjusted price we got on our 09 VUE in late January is looking VERY good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
Rob, with all due respect, I am reading "IS" as you wrote:

"Is the 'new' Saturn affordable?" Yes, it IS. You and I both own affordable Astras
The Astra isn't affordable, think Nissan Versa or Toyota Yaris

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robor007 View Post
The Astra was Saturn's lowest priced car by a large margin. We know the Astra didn't sell well here in the US but what can be expected from a single year model that few have ever seen let alone heard of? IMO it could have been a big seller with the right promotion but that's water under the bridge so I'll get to my point...
"Lowest priced by a large margin"? ... HUH? The Astra was overpriced and under-equipped, burdened by the inherent mark-up to import and sell a car at a time when Euro was killing the US $.

I was seriously considering an Astra last year, but the Aura had a $2000 rebate at the time, and to acquire an Astra for the same bottom-line $, I would have had to give up several options, and get stuck with the tiny 1.8 liter engine. In the Astra, I saw no redeeming value or especially desirable feature that could justify paying more for it than for an Aura.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #12
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraNorth View Post
We've lasted all this time without the AUX jack

barring that, you can always get a new deck with the AUX jack (I did) or buy a cassette deck converter.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

I think my point is being missed here. Many Astra critics bring up the 'high' price when it's the lowest priced Saturn. If the Astra is priced high, what does that make the rest of the lineup?

page / paul / l57 - The Astra isn't selling but but how did the rest of the lineup sell last month? What will replace the Astra as Saturn's 'budget' model? When will it arrive? What will it's reception be?

marx - You're correct that it's all speculation on what will happen. The big question is what will they add and when will they arrive. I hope Penske can revive the brand. Doing so means my dealer stays open. I talked to a few people there and they are very excited.

Kooler King - Please explain to me how an Aura - priced near $7K MSRP higher - sells for the same or below an Astra. We're not talking a deal on a demo or some special circumstance. I'm talking MSRP vs. MSRP. Saturn's own site says there's a $6900 difference. A $2K rebate doesn't bridge that gap.

davidsky - Yes, it costs slightly more than cars like the Yaris and Versa but those cars are in a different class. Compare features - standard and available - and get back to me.

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
I think my point is being missed here. Many Astra critics bring up the 'high' price when it's the lowest priced Saturn. If the Astra is priced high, what does that make the rest of the lineup?

page / paul / l57 - The Astra isn't selling but but how did the rest of the lineup sell last month? What will replace the Astra as Saturn's 'budget' model? When will it arrive? What will it's reception be?

marx - You're correct that it's all speculation on what will happen. The big question is what will they add and when will they arrive. I hope Penske can revive the brand. Doing so means my dealer stays open. I talked to a few people there and they are very excited.

Kooler King - Please explain to me how an Aura - priced near $7K MSRP higher - sells for the same or below an Astra. We're not talking a deal on a demo or some special circumstance. I'm talking MSRP vs. MSRP. Saturn's own site says there's a $6900 difference. A $2K rebate doesn't bridge that gap.

davidsky - Yes, it costs slightly more than cars like the Yaris and Versa but those cars are in a different class. Compare features - standard and available - and get back to me.
My local dealer has the Aura for $16,995. They even sent a special folder/flyer. What people were finding was that for the money and after the "rebates" or whatever you call them, the Aura was a better value. The Astra seemed to start to move a bit when the price started to come down. They're listed as $14,995 at the same dealer.

Chrysler and GM have made the same mistake over and over: they bring out a new car that is significantly higher priced than what their customer base expects, larded up with options and create their own sticker shock.

They didn't learn the lesson with the K Cars, The Js or more recently the Pacifica or even the Cobalt.

People looked at the price they paid for their last car, perhaps three of four years ago and look at what they get for what appears a lot more money [and yes, you can parse #s till the cows come home, but perception rules].

Personally I didn't find the Astra $4000 better than the 05 ION 1 I purchased from the same dealer I mentioned above. And it has a chain instead of a timing belt. And more HP and better gas mileage. Saturn = Value.

I don't really care that the Astra has all that gimmicky extra crap on it that supposedly justifies the higher price.

An Astra 1, 2 and 3 might have been a more effective way to introduce the product. If a customer wanted all that, then order up.

But every one of the Astras on that lot stickered between 18 and 20,000 when it came out. Not "affordable" when you consider Saturn's reputation for being affordable. Nice car. Too much money. Upscale or not: it's still a Saturn.

The image built by Hal Riney and the S Series is still strong in the public's mind. That's why, though it may be "competitive when XXXXXX is considered " & "compared to XXXXX", the public doesn't and didn't see it that way.

At the end of it, I am sure they are fine cars and I can only offer my own impressions. Saturn needs something small, economical and affordable to get people in the showroom. The Astra doesn't seem to be "it". Hopefully Penske will find the right product and be able to generate the traffic the ION used to get [yes, I know it never sold as well as the S Series, but it always outsold the VUE.It was Saturn's best seller all the years it was offered. And dare I say it, sold way better than the Astra]. Do they want to sell them or dust them ?

Last edited by Citation84; 06-08-2009 at 05:21 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #15
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

Quote:

The Saturn prices in many if not most locations have been below MSRP for months. The actual market price is the real price, not what the web site says before the incentives are taken into account. When I looked at Saturns earlier in the year there were better incentives on the Aura than the Astra which brought the real price on an Aura 4 cyl down to around $19,000. The difference between an Aura and an Astra was much less than the difference in MSRP with the Aura offering a lot more car and probably even equal or better gas mileage. As you correctly pointed out to davidsky that the cars he mentioned are in different classes, so are the Astra and Aura. While the base Astra price is generally lower in absolute price you can make a good argument that the incentive priced Aura was more affordable for its class then the Astra was for its. Some people may prefer the Astra which is fine with me but I clearly thought the Aura was a more attractive deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
John10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #16
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Tooling for the Crosley may still be available:

LINK

Or the King Midget:

LINK

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #17
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Features don't matter if I can't refuse them and get a lower price. My ION cost $13K before rebates an Astra cost $17K.
Saturn needs to sell cars in the Yaris class.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #18
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
page / paul / l57 - The Astra isn't selling but but how did the rest of the lineup sell last month?
What will replace the Astra as Saturn's 'budget' model? When will it arrive? What will it's reception be?[/QUOTE]

Saturn sales as a whole were down over 50% from last year. Astra sales are up 4% year-to-date compared to last year...so I guess that is somewhat good. The problem is that Astra sales are still 1/4 of what the Ion sold in its worst year (2007) and less than 1/10 of its best year (2003).

Quote:
What will replace the Astra as Saturn's 'budget' model? When will it arrive? What will it's reception be?
Don't know...we'll have to wait and see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #19
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

IMO if Tata can build the Nano for $2500, I don't see why a US automaker can't simplify and make a basic car for under $10k in the US.

Resurrect the S-series. Make a CUV off the chassis.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #20
Robor007
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

Citation - You mentioned sticker price on the Astra being unaffordable. You can't compare sticker on the Astra vs. discounts on the rest of the lineup. FWIW, the Astra is only a Saturn in badge. Everyone knows it's really an Opel and after test driving every car in the class there is *nothing* that comes close to the way the Astra handles and rides. I agree Saturn needs a small, affordable, economical car. IMO the Astra could have been that car but few knew about it. Heck, the salesmen at Palm Harbor Honda didn't know what an Astra was when I told them I was headed to drive one of them next and they're in the business.

John - I understand MSRP price isn't necessarily indicative of the 'real price'. However, if dealers are cutting prices on the Aura they're likely cutting prices on the Astra as well. Some Astra owners are getting XR's for $13K and $14K. IIRC the Aura gets $500 more back right now. I don't see that making up the difference between the two. Either way, for the same money I'd still rather have an Astra but I prefer smaller cars. FWIW, I don't see an Aura getting the 29 MPG city that I'm getting in my XR3.

davidsky - I drove the Yaris - 3 of them actually. There's a reason it's so cheap - it's an absolute POS. It's very slow, it rides horrible, and speed bumps feel like running over railroad ties. Your $13K Ion is 5 years old. What do you think an Ion would be priced at in 2009/2010?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!