SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Ibincrewzn
Ibincrewzn is on a distinguished road

Default Reset "Change Oil Soon" reminder

I just want to start my '03 Vue without seeing the "Change oil soon" dummy light, and yes I did change it and the filter. How do you reset it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ibincrewzn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ibincrewzn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ibincrewzn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Reset "Change Oil Soon" reminder

It's in the manual. If you don't have it, I think the procedure is to turn the key to "on" (don't start), then press the accelerator to the floor 3 times within 5 seconds. You'll see the OLM light blink and then go off. This was the procedure for our 2005 L-series and 2007 VUE, so yours may be different.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

If you have a 2.2 4 the process is different. Turn the key to on position and open the fuse box. Their is a red button that says oil or oil r (nit sure). Hold the button for 5 seconds .. The change oil light will flash for a while and go out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ricksLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
wlhawk
Advanced Member
wlhawk is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
2004 VUE 3.5L

The procedure is the same with the 4 or 6 cylinder engines in 2003 models. It's given on pages 343-344 of the vue handbook.

Remove cover of the underhood fuse block.
With the ignition key in the "run" position with the engine off, press the red "oil reset" button for five seconds.
The light should flash for 30 seconds or until ignition is turned off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wlhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wlhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wlhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 AM   #5
TurboSC2
TurboSC2 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Thanks for the info on this. My wife's 03 recently fell out of the care plan, so I've got to start maintaining this thing now and she lost the owners booklet a while ago.

Paul
99 Miata
97 GS-T
08 Expedition
03 Vue POS (Gone!)
SC2t is long gone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TurboSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TurboSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TurboSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Tip; hold the 'oil' button down for ten seconds. Sometimes five doesn't take. When looking for the 'oil' button, be aware that it looks just like the other red things in that box. I think I may have pushed the wrong one once or twice
Just open the hood and prop it up, then go stand by the driver's side front wheel. Take the black cover off the relay box and do the button thing. The key has to be in the 'run' position. The engine may be running or not. Don't forget to replace the cover to keep dirt/moisture out of the relay box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

You guys get buttons in your fusebox!? I'm jealous.

The gas pedal reset method hardly ever works for me, it's really frustrating.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
andyr13
Advanced Member
andyr13 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
1995 SC2

I haven't had the gas pedal method work for me yet. The only reason the light is not on right now, is because we just had work done on the car and everything was reset.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andyr13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andyr13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andyr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

the gas pedel method is for gm cars. i dont think that it works on any of the saturn saturns

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:34 AM   #10
TurboSC2
TurboSC2 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I'm slightly retarded. After I changed the oil today I tried to find the oil reset button on the fuse box.

Not having the manual, I looked at the fuse box on the passenger side of the center console with no joy. Looked at the underhood fuse box with no joy, read this thread again, looked again and there it is.

At first quick glance, I thought that it was another one of the 10a fuses. Leave it to Saturn to make it small and camouflaged.

On an off topic note, what were they thinking by putting the oil filter in it's present location? Not a huge deal, but something that I really didn't expect. After looking for it in the "normal" location on the bottom of the engine, I had to call my buddy at the dealership and ask him where the heck it is!

Paul
99 Miata
97 GS-T
08 Expedition
03 Vue POS (Gone!)
SC2t is long gone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TurboSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TurboSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TurboSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #11
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
the gas pedel method is for gm cars. i dont think that it works on any of the saturn saturns
The gas pedal method is the only way to do it on my '06 and previous '05.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I've not reset the light on my 05 Vue but following is from the owners manual:

------------------------------------------------------

How to Reset the Engine Oil Life System

The Engine Oil Life System calculates when to change your engine oil and filter based on vehicle use. Anytime your oil is changed, reset the system so it can calculate when the next oil change is required. If a situation occurs where you change your oil prior to a change engine oil light being turned on, reset the system.

After changing the engine oil, reset the system by performing the following steps:

Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine off.

Fully press and release the accelerator pedal three times within five seconds. If the change engine oil light is flashing, the system is reset. The light will flash for up to 30 seconds or until the ignition is turned off.

If the light comes on again and stays on for 30 seconds at the next ignition cycle, it did not reset. You will need to reset the system again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:44 AM   #13
Thundercat
Thundercat is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SC2

My 2004 with the 3.5L uses the gas pedal method. As long as you hit the gas really quick, no problems. My '01 SC2 had the button in the fuse panel, I liked it better than the gas pedal, but both methods work well for me

Another note, I've found it much cleaner to remove the oil filter by taking the R/F wheel off first :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Thundercat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Thundercat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote