SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #1
timl865
timl865 is a glorious beacon of lighttiml865 is a glorious beacon of lighttiml865 is a glorious beacon of lighttiml865 is a glorious beacon of lighttiml865 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Body control module bit the dust

Well I knew it was going.. my 02 lw200 had the mileage jump from 192k to 696k last aug... but otherwise ran great. Today I start it and gauges are crazy.. security light flashing and wont shift from park. I tried a used one before but it wouldn't pass the relearn procedure... how can I get it out of park... and does anyone know the average cost to program a new module? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to timl865's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help timl865 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
timl865 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Body control module bit the dust

The Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) is a Park lock mechanism to prevent shifting out of Park position if the brake pedal isn't pressed (you can thank Audi 5000 drivers unable to tell the difference between the brake and gas pedal when cars and trucks never had shifter interlocks activated by brake pedal. They mysteriously accelerated thru garages, crossed the street, drove into backyard pools, etc. The result is the brake interlock mechanism forcing brake pedal application to allow unlocking the shifter. The btsi is electronically sensed and controls a solenoid in the shifter assembly.

Lift the shifter boot cover to reveal the mechanics to the shift lever. You should see a white plastic tab locking the shifter in Park position. Lift, push or pull the tab out of the way to release the shifter from Park position and shift into gear or neutral.

Others here bought used BCMs and didn't have problems with the relearn procedure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
timl865
timl865 is a glorious beacon of lighttiml865 is a glorious beacon of lighttiml865 is a glorious beacon of lighttiml865 is a glorious beacon of lighttiml865 is a glorious beacon of light

I have tried 3 times to do the relearn procedure. Bump key forward then on dor 10 mins off 5 seconds.. And repeat 3 times. Security light flashes and wont start. I really dont want to junk this car yet...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help timl865 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
timl865

When i put the key to run, should the security light be flashing or solid? Mine is blinking...
Thanks for any input..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-11-2019, 10:18 PM   #5
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

To do the 30 minute relearn you have to bump the key to the crank position just enough to kick the starter over some, are you doing that? Then after 10 minutes, turn the key back to the lock position then bump to crank again. You have to do that three times. 3 times 10 minutes each.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timl865 View Post
When i put the key to run, should the security light be flashing or solid? Mine is blinking...
Thanks for any input..
When turning on ignition, the security indicator turns on along with all other indicators. After a few seconds, almost all indicators turn off including security. Indicators cycling on then off at ign on time is described as lamp tests while giving clues to the circuits operating each indicator. Security should turn off before starting to indicate GMs Passlock anti theft system is disabled.

Security has several modes;

ON - Passlock internal failure disabling itself from interfering with engine running.
OFF - Passlock in standby mode.
Blinking once every 2-3 seconds - Passlock armed from the remote Lock
button.
Flashing quickly - Passlock detected a theft attempt and disables injector operation to prevent engine running.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:01 PM   #7
Al10453
Al10453 is on a distinguished road

Sent my BCM out for repairs first one in Canandaigua, NY couldn't fix it but returned full my $225 prepayment. Second one in Jacksonville, Fl couldn't fix it either but charged $149 to diagnose the problem. My fault I guess I didn't see the statement about being charged for diagnostic testing. Purchased a new one from Rockauto for $257 minus the core charge $25, dealer gets $133 to program it, Doesn't always pay to try and go the cheapest route.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Al10453's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Al10453 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Al10453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

^How long ago did these events occur? I wholeheartedly agree that choosing the least expensive option for a repair can be problematic from time to time and especially with computer related items on our cars.

320,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #9
Al10453
Al10453 is on a distinguished road

First BCM went out about 10 yrs ago,second one @ 206,700 mi May 2019. If I had seen Rockautos price I would have done that first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Al10453's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Al10453 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Al10453 is offline   Reply With Quote