SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #5801
wizerdwolf
wizerdwolf is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLfun View Post
Looks pretty cool! What's the ride like?
Just drove it to HF to get the impact I needed to finish tightening the hats down all the way; had to drive rather carefully on the way there so it wouldn't bump too much, BUUUT it feels way more planted with these! As a result of the reduced roll, the steering is also much more immediate. So far I really like it. I have it set 4 clicks down from the stiffest setting currently (it has 16 clicks, but forums say anything beyond 6 makes little to no difference).

I had originally considered the Racelands since it seems everyone does that or cheap ebay coilovers, but I wanted to get something that wasn't as hard as the Racelands (and more guaranteed quality than no-name ebay ones), so I went with the pricier Teins, which have someone more sane spring rates for our cars.

I still plan to lower it a little bit more, maybe an inch, but I want to let the springs settle over this week and see how it feels, first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wizerdwolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wizerdwolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wizerdwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #5802
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmile View Post
New LED headlight bulbs that I have fallen in love with. Cheapies but still love them
Cool - any info (cost, where to buy, etc) that you can share?

Always on the lookout for upgrades. Not sure if I will switch to LED headlights any time soon (as long as I am in MI). Got a reminder why, with the frozen crap on my headlights this morning. But if/when I move to someplace warmer, the LED headlights moves up on my "to do" list

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:11 PM   #5803
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Performed the IAT mod. The 2 sensors are side by side so easy to switch the connector back and forth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190309_154757.jpg (137.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 20190309_165216.jpg (74.1 KB, 72 views)

1999 SL2 A4 -85k miles
Currently sipping Mobil 1 & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #5804
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Push-Started Red Hot. Need to get a Starter soon.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #5805
wizerdwolf
wizerdwolf is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSaturn247 View Post
Performed the IAT mod. The 2 sensors are side by side so easy to switch the connector back and forth.
What IAT mod is this? I may've not phrased my search well, but I don't think I could find any similar mod to this on this site. Given that I'm hitting lower mpgs than I'd like (I think I'm getting roughly 27 mpg out of my SW2), I had a friend suggesting I get a different IAT sensor, since I've already replaced my ECTS and upstream O2 sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wizerdwolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wizerdwolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wizerdwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:54 PM   #5806
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Some years ago I replaced the ECTS on my '93 after reading about the OEM resin tipped sensors. I came to find the original owner had already replaced it
So I installed the new brass tipped sensor and stored the old brass tipped one as a spare. IATS , ECTS, TTS are all the same part. I have been meaning to do this mod for some time now. Pretty easy though you need to remove the air filter box to attach the sensor to the upper radiator hose. Attached to the radiator hose gives much higher temperature to the sensor. There is a current thread in the mod section.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236570

1999 SL2 A4 -85k miles
Currently sipping Mobil 1 & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #5807
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Cool - any info (cost, where to buy, etc) that you can share?
Actually bought them off Wish.com. Took forever for them to get here but amazing cheap. Think I paid less than $20

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #5808
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmile View Post
Actually bought them off Wish.com. Took forever for them to get here but amazing cheap. Think I paid less than $20
Thanks, never heard of the site but will check it out. Great price!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #5809
JF01saturn
JF01saturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2

Yesterday I put in new clutch hydraulics, didn’t fix my problem so I’ll be replacing the clutch

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JF01saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JF01saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JF01saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:40 PM   #5810
PaineTrain04
PaineTrain04 is on a distinguished road

New to the forum.
I've had my '02 SL1 for about two years. She's only got 113,042 miles on her.
Rust free, although plastic doesn't rust.
Started to work on my reverse slam yesterday.

I replaced the valve body with one from Ken Partin about a week ago.
I've got the end cover off of my transaxle. Input shaft nut was able to be spun completely off with just my finger. No grooves in the end cover.

Waiting on my new end cover gasket to come in the mail since no dealer or parts store has one in stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaineTrain04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaineTrain04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaineTrain04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #5811
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Welcome to the forums!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #5812
silentdude56k
silentdude56k is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2
2002 SL2

Still passes California smog testing at a quarter century old!

Purple 1994 SW2 auto. 317k+ miles. Head gasket replaced due to an overheat at ~261k. Timing chain replaced for good measure. Passes California smog testing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silentdude56k's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silentdude56k reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silentdude56k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #5813
PaineTrain04
PaineTrain04 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaineTrain04 View Post
Waiting on my new end cover gasket to come in the mail since no dealer or parts store has one in stock.
Any idea if Hein is still an active member here? I believe he is the person who I ordered the gasket kit from off of Ebay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaineTrain04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaineTrain04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaineTrain04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #5814
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Red Hot got it's Starter replaced AND the A/C got recharged.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #5815
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ nice, ready for summer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaineTrain04 View Post
Any idea if Hein is still an active member here? I believe he is the person who I ordered the gasket kit from off of Ebay.
hein sold his Saturn so rarely visits, but I believe he will still respond to a PM. He may have left contact info on one of his threads in the Mods forum, too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2019, 10:57 PM   #5816
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Yesterday, a block from work, was accelerating briskly. Heard a clunk, rpms shot up but car was no longer acceleration. Pulled int the parking lot nearby, saw shiny metal where the half-shaft broke, at the rubber damper. Got towed home, 25 miles - luckily, my wife had just upgraded our road service to Gold because our son is driving to work 50 miles away.

Today, pulled the axle off my '97 and put it in my '02.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #5817
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Replaced:
1) The old AC Delco control arms with new AC Delco brand.
2) The passenger side CV axle with my (spare) still good O.E. that was on the car from Springhill.
3) The old Centric rotors with new Centric rotors
The old Centric rotors were installed in Nov. 2015 and probably have one more year left on them before the creeping edge rust eats too far into the pad area. They did not ever pulse and that speaks of quality. They went thru two (2) complete sets of pads. The sets of pads were removed when half worn.
3a) Installed a set of half worn AC Delco O.E. ceramic that I “refaced” by standing on them, one by one, and scooting across the concrete driveway. Like new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Tracking down a front-end vibration from 60 to 70mph in 5th gear.
Comp Test
All good.

I checked the mounts a couple days ago. All good.

By grabbing the tire at 12 & 6 olclock, the driver’s wheel bearing felt loose. ...so today I installed a new one.
The old one shows a “change” in wear-pattern on the race at 6 o’clock...so it needed changing regardless...but not in January

Here is one of the threads I’m following: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103624

Next suspect, after verifying tires again, is the driver’s AC Delco control arm ball joint. CA was installed 17,000 miles ago. If I only replace one CA, I might get away with just adjusting Toe until the steering wheel is in the straight-ahead when traveling in a straight line.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 oz per 100 miles with approximately 230,000 mi on engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #5818
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Changed Oil on the "98 Red Hot.....

Out: Castrol Edge 5w-30 + Mobil 1 M1-209 Ext. Length Filter

In: Castrol Edge 5w-30 + Motorcraft FL-400S Filter

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2019, 08:17 PM   #5819
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Took this tire to the shop and had it re-balanced, from 10-22-2018:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Ground a rear tire round
https://imgur.com/a/IQwLGGc

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 oz per 100 miles with approximately 230,000 mi on engine

Last edited by bumpdraft; 03-22-2019 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Your Insurance Adjuster Reads The Amazing Internet!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:30 AM   #5820
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Tires, on the Al. Teardrop II, were only inflated to 22-26.

Inflated to 36 front & 33 back, then fine tuned so they're exact on each axle.

Drives better now, so, check & fill the air in your tires!

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!