SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2019, 01:41 AM   #5761
wizerdwolf
wizerdwolf is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Pulled a pair of projector fogs from an Audi A6 this weekend, and just finished installing them on my SW2! The top of the housings are nice and flat with the mounting holes level, so it was very easy. Used angle brackets and rov nuts to mount them to the bumper support bar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190205_003911_007.jpg (144.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190205_003914_806.jpg (119.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190205_003917_381.jpg (138.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190205_003919_526.jpg (134.6 KB, 22 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wizerdwolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wizerdwolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wizerdwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #5762
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Very nice! I never think to check the Euro aisle for parts. . . usually don't have time.

Hit the JY Sunday, muddy/icy as heck, to pull a door for the minivan.

Grabbed an OEM TPS for the Saturn while I was there, installed it last night. I think it is working, had forgotten about it by this morning. Will try to remember to pay attention to my rpms on the way home.

Jumped through the hoops to return the 2-month old dud TPS to Rockauto - have to remember to package and send the part back.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #5763
carangil
carangil has a spectacular aura aboutcarangil has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Replaced EGR valve, as its had that code (intermittently) set for a while, and each time I clean it it buys me 6 months.

Replaced downstream o2 sensor because that code came on a couple weeks ago for a bad heater circuit. New sensor works great.... I bench tested it with a torch and multimeter.

Passed CA smog... well under the limit for most things.

1996 SL1, only 120k miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carangil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carangil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #5764
wizerdwolf
wizerdwolf is on a distinguished road

2001 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Very nice! I never think to check the Euro aisle for parts. . . usually don't have time.

While the Saturns do seem to always be in one section, our yard has no organization to it, and everything is mixed together. I try to go early enough on a weekend day so I can check everything out and don't feel rushed, if I have an idea of what I'd like to find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wizerdwolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wizerdwolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wizerdwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #5765
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Replaced the front right brake caliper just because the one on the car was the factory original.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 oz per 100 miles with approximately 230,000 mi on engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #5766
jpags729
jpags729 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Hit a small pothole today and the dome light popped out. The plastic clips were extremely weak so I had to zip tie it back up. Feels better in place now than it did before!

Looking for a power steering pump and pulley and luckily found one in good condition. Only thing is: its from a 94 SC1 and I have a 99 SL2. Does anyone think it will/won't fit? It looks too similar to not take the chance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190209_113219_resized.jpg (107.3 KB, 12 views)

Current:
1999 Saturn SL2 1.9 "Sophia Loren 2"
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4
1993 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7

Previous:
2007 Chevy Malibu LS 2.2
2003 Nissan Altima SE 3.5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpags729's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpags729 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpags729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #5767
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpags729 View Post
Hit a small pothole today and the dome light popped out. The plastic clips were extremely weak so I had to zip tie it back up. Feels better in place now than it did before!

Looking for a power steering pump and pulley and luckily found one in good condition. Only thing is: its from a 94 SC1 and I have a 99 SL2. Does anyone think it will/won't fit? It looks too similar to not take the chance.
Looking up the part number, 21013318, it seems like Saturn used the same ps pump 91-02 so it should go in fine.

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #5768
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

'98 SC2 Red Hot bucked & stalled on the way to Church. All crank, no start.

Had to have her towed.

Crankshaft Position Sensor was bad. Replaced.

Also replaced the Fuel Filter. I had a spare NAPA Gold. Needed it.

Red Hot is all good now!!

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 02:26 AM   #5769
cpy911
cpy911 is a glorious beacon of lightcpy911 is a glorious beacon of lightcpy911 is a glorious beacon of lightcpy911 is a glorious beacon of lightcpy911 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2

What steps did you take to diagnose that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
'98 SC2 Red Hot bucked & stalled on the way to PChurch. All crank, no start.

Had to have her towed.

Crankshaft Position Sensor was bad. Replaced.

Also replaced the Fuel Filter. I had a spare NAPA Gold. Needed it.

Red Hot is all good now!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cpy911's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cpy911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cpy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #5770
buenafe
buenafe is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I'm a newbie late bloomer when it comes to car repair.

1. I was getting the P1404 error messages. (Saturn 1996 SL2, 140K miles).
Removed and cleaned EGR valve with Walmart carb cleaner. Error message gone. :-)

2. Problem: unable to open door from the inside (but it can be opened from the outside)
I took the interior panel off, to troubleshoot further. I cannot get a visual to see the problem. I believe I would need to remove the exterior door panel. I'll save that for another weekend.

/* 1996 Saturn SL - third owner - odometer broke - 130K miles (est) */

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to buenafe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help buenafe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
buenafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #5771
lxvgto
lxvgto is on a distinguished road

A little nostalgic here...Saturn Fans has been tremendously useful and supportive for so many years! 2000 SL2, 268,000.

Now that my wife has a used 2015 Nissan LEAF, I'm driving the ratty 'ol saturn!

Checked oil at 1,000 since last quart, added another. Topped up washer fluid.

Tired of being in a damp car, found water leaking directly into the car next to driver's side dash when testing by pouring water into sunroof cavity. Removed dash, side trim, sunvisor and clip, pulled down headliner and found drain tube completely disconnected!

Re-attached, pushed up the headliner and installed visor (after spraying some glue to hold the disintegrating fabric onto it). Left the side trim off, car will leave my capable hands before too long. Forced the sunroof closed (again) and pulled the fuse (again).

Checked and aired the tires and shop-vac'd some of the water off the driver's floor. Drilled a couple small holes in the small "bathtubs" behind the rear wheels in the trunk - i'm tired of mopping up the water with an old t-shirt every few days! (reading on here, i'd need to pull the quarter panels to seam-seal; no way!).

thanks again everyone, for all the help.
K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lxvgto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lxvgto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lxvgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #5772
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

^If the LEAF ever develops a leak, do not drill a hole in the floor without first researching the location of the batteries.

Many S-series owners have successfully ignored body seam leaks by replacing the floor pan with bar grating, a heavy woven wire mesh or expanded metal sheet.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 oz per 100 miles with approximately 230,000 mi on engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #5773
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxvgto View Post
Drilled a couple small holes in the small "bathtubs" behind the rear wheels in the trunk - i'm tired of mopping up the water with an old t-shirt every few days! (reading on here, i'd need to pull the quarter panels to seam-seal; no way!).

thanks again everyone, for all the help.
K
It's surprisingly easy to pull the quarter panels.

First time I did it, I allowed a weekend for the job (healthy respect for Murphy's Law ) but was done in an afternoon. I think I did both sides in less than a full day, and part of that was cleaning up so that I could take pictures part of the time and add it to the thread I was using as guidance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2019, 01:16 AM   #5774
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Sprayed a can of GUMOUT air intake cleaner into the throttle body. Easy PM.

Received a Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt in the mailbox I ordered on eBay for <$8 sweet deal. I used this same belt on my '93, very effective. I will slap it on by Summertime.

Reviewing my fuelly, all fillups this year are 28+ mpg
Now I want to do the IAT mod to see how much that helps. Easy project.

1999 SL2 A4 -85k miles
Currently sipping Mobil 1 & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

Last edited by NWSaturn247; 02-22-2019 at 01:22 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #5775
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

- Filled with NON-ETHANOL Fuel.

- Cleaned, Compounded, Paint Sealed & Synthetic Waxed the Teardrop II (blacked-out teardrops) Wheels on the '98 SC2 Red Hot. Super shiny now!

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #5776
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSaturn247 View Post
Sprayed a can of GUMOUT air intake cleaner into the throttle body. Easy PM.

Received a Goodyear Gatorback serpentine belt in the mailbox I ordered on eBay for <$8 sweet deal. I used this same belt on my '93, very effective. I will slap it on by Summertime.

Reviewing my fuelly, all fillups this year are 28+ mpg
Now I want to do the IAT mod to see how much that helps. Easy project.
I am interested in how you did that? Was the engine running while you sprayed the can of Gumout into the throttle body?

1/28/2019 2002 SL2 w 62k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silverblu02SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silverblu02SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #5777
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I used this product and followed the directions. Make sure to work the butterfly revving the engine while spraying the cleaner or the engine will die.

https://youtu.be/FVyMOZdPpsY

1999 SL2 A4 -85k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #5778
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ I thought for sure we would see richpin's video again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc5qCuQLmFE

Vid is for a 2nd gen. For a third gen, it's basically the same. But throttle body on third gen is vertical instead, closer to firewall, and held on by 4 x 10mm head bolts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2019, 08:57 PM   #5779
NWSaturn247

1999 SL2

Yep, rich is the man for Saturn YouTube maintenance procedures
I hope he gets some ad sharing revenue

My throttle body cleaning did some good, noticed during cold start warm up.

Come Summertime I will do the complete cleaning as shown by our man Rich.

1999 SL2 A4 -85k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-22-2019, 09:31 PM   #5780
nealt
nealt is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

Just replaced my front passenger wheel bearing.

This was the original wheel bearing installed on my '97. After 415k miles, finally started grinding and growling. Everything came apart pretty easily with a good hammer whack.

Had a shop press it for $60.... then got an allignment done at Firstone.... Total toe was off -1.6 degrees. Was very squirely driving it there. I have a lifetime allignment package at Firestone, and it has more than paid for itself over the years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nealt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote