SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
vjd
vjd is on a distinguished road

Wrench replacing power steering pressure line in my 2004 L300 station-wagon problems

Hi,
I had to replace my power steering pressure line for my Saturn L300 Station-wagon, V6. I got the part from the dealer. Everything went well until I tried to connect the last connection into the gear box. The connector will absolutely not thread into the port. I tried the old connector again just to make sure their was nothing foreign in the port and it goes right in though it was quite difficult to remove initially.
Is there a chance that the threads are not the same in the station wagon as the sedan? The dealer said in this case the parts were the same , but I can not get this to thread period.
Any ideas or guidance? I really need my car. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vjd is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: replacing power steering pressure line in my 2004 L300 station-wagon problems

It must be a bear working in a confined space. Is it possible that part of the old hose fitting cracked off and is stuck in the rack unit? I don't have experience here with replacing pwr steering parts but know Murphy's Law - anything that can go wrong at the wrong time and place, will. A piece of the hose fitting that breaks off and is left in the threaded fitting of the steering unit will have to be removed - carefully.

Work on things and you become very familiar with Murphy's Law................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
vjd

Default Re: replacing power steering pressure line in my 2004 L300 station-wagon problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
It must be a bear working in a confined space. Is it possible that part of the old hose fitting cracked off and is stuck in the rack unit? I don't have experience here with replacing pwr steering parts but know Murphy's Law - anything that can go wrong at the wrong time and place, will. A piece of the hose fitting that breaks off and is left in the threaded fitting of the steering unit will have to be removed - carefully.

Work on things and you become very familiar with Murphy's Law................
Naw, I got the old one out and I have also run it back in to see if the threads on the gear box were stripped. It is tight in there but you can't even get it to start by hand ...no way ...no how...this sucks...let me know if you have any other ideas, okay? Thanks!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Have you compared the two fittings to each other to see if they have the same thread and diameter?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Personally, any time I'm concerned about threads and possible mismatching (Murphy's Law) I learned an old trick to avoid mismatching threads and complicating things more when working with metric and SAE................. Its a real problem when working down to 2-56 threads and find the metric size is being used instead.......

Usually I place the known good threaded portion of the piece against the new piece, attempting to fit the two threaded portions side by side, gear mesh style. A straight threaded bolt will match thread for thread perfectly when meshed together with threads from another bolt, intertwining like folding your hands together with fingers intertwined. The idea is to ensure the replacement fastener is the exact same thread (and diameter) as the one being replaced. Practice on a few pairs of screws and bolts to see how this works in normal fashion then deliberately mismatch two different threads - you'll quickly see how mismatched threads won't mesh at all to indicate the wrong threads.

This can be adapted to hose fittings too with some careful attention. The two ends should butt together to show their similar diameters then meshing their threads together should result in an even match unless you have a hose with the wrong thread. Not likely but anything's possible without seeing it up close. A picture of the two side by side and posted may help if you know how to post small pics here or use another site and post a link to it. You may be restricted with a warning of not having the 15 posts needed before being allowed to add pics in your posts.

Below is a simple picture of two bolts. Meshing the two together should allow perfect meshing of threads. Incorrect threads won't allow meshing at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Banjo Bolts and Thread Pitches.jpg (102.0 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
vjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Have you compared the two fittings to each other to see if they have the same thread and diameter?
Ah, I think it looks the same but it is so hard to tell..the threads may be a bit smaller but the diameter is definitely the same. It starts but when you try to tighten, it just pops off. I think I am going to have to eat this $80 some dollar hose and my car still can't be driven. Where is the emoticon with tears?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vjd's Reputation
Old 04-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I have run across this problem before, and it can be extremely frustrating. The problem is usually that the fitting is on a stiff piece of tubing, and there is a misalignment of the axes of the inner and outer threads. You may have to bend the new line to get the threads properly aligned. The end face of the fitting must be parallel to the port face. Another trick is to remove the fitting from the other end of the line to free it up a bit, allowing the faces to align. Make sure you don't install any of the tube clamps before you get the fittings threaded in.

If this is in a tight location, you may not be able to see the misalignment. Get a very good light in there and use a small mirror if necessary to see the alignment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
vjd

Okay, to all of the helpful people that gave me advice in this post...first I was able to determine that the threads were in fact the same however the ones on the new connector were damaged.
I called one of my daughter's friend's father and begged him for help ( yes I am a girl.) He came over and was able to fix the threads though it was not easy and he almost said I would have to take the part back...but it is on, and hats off to all of you guys who wrench because this seemingly easy task kicked my butt big time. I hated to bother someone but I was in way over my head.

Thanks again ...you were all right and you will all get a good report!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vjd's Reputation
Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You go girl!?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!