SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
Dorian
Dorian is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
Default More accurate MPG ratings

We are getting closer and closer to the truth. Here is a web site that can show you what your vehicle SHOULD be getting for mpg. I've never paid much attention to mpg other than to surmise if something is going wrong in my engine. But with gas now at over $3.00 a gallon (at least in my corner of the world) I'm looking much closer at MPG as part of the purchasing decision for my families' cars. (sorry honey, but that Honda Civic is looking better than the BMW Z4M Roadster)

Heres the site: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp

http://www.touringmotorcyclists.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dorian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dorian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
James Gerber
James Gerber is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: More accurate MPG ratings

interesting site...

They are close to my avg. mpg's for my VUE.
I'm usually in the mid-20's.

However, my 1996 SL1 was different than their results...
I was getting around 43 MPG's with mine, but the site was showing low-mid 30's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to James Gerber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help James Gerber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
James Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
go4broke
go4broke is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

thats a cool website

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to go4broke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help go4broke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
go4broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

I have run all of my cars through the comparison and all they did was move further away from my experience, I have never had any problem hitting the old numbers. The day that my SC2 can only get 34 on the highway is the day it goes to the shop to figure out what is wrong with it. As for my VUE, I was pulling 25-26 in the city all last summer, that's pretty close to the new highway mileage. The current overall average for my VUE is 24.71 and that is probably at least a 60/40 split city/highway.

On an alternate note, I noticed something in regards to my MPG. The MPG in my VUE dropped over the winter, partly due to winter gas and longer warmups, but I realized that it's also because both of my "toys" were tucked away in the garage. I have brought both of my coupes out this month and the mileage in my VUE has spiked. Coincidence? I think not. I no longer have to vent my rage in the VUE, so no more racing around, which equates to higher MPG. My last tank was 80% city and I hit 26.67MPG. It's being helped by the weather too and they might have summer gas back in town, but a lot of it is driving style.

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #5
sspeer
sspeer is on a distinguished road

Has anyone else checked out the new EPA figures on that site?

The FWD6 takes the big hit on the highway and goes from 20/28 to 18/25

AWD6 from 19/25 to 17/24

FWD4M keeps the highway numbers from 23/29 to 20/29

FWD4A is the most interesting..the highway INCREASED
from 22/27 to 20/28

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sspeer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sspeer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sspeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspeer View Post
FWD4M keeps the highway numbers from 23/29 to 20/29
For the '05 FWD4M, it dropped from 23/29 to 20/27. Not sure about the other years, not bored enough to check those right now.

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:

FWD4A is the most interesting..the highway INCREASED
from 22/27 to 20/28
I keep telling everyone the auto has a tall 4th gear drive ratio...allows me to cruise at 60mph @ 2000rpm or 65mph @ 2200rpm....very comfortable cruiser with the Hydra-matic. The bonus is that the 4 just sips gas at that rpm....

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #8
M7Mayberry
M7Mayberry is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

The mileage for the 4 cylinder with either transmission is about the same. Just goes to show that modern automatics and engine computers do a good job of saving fuel when stopped. They also upshift at low RPM to save more. But I still choose to shift on my own.

"It's time for DODGER BASEBALL!" - Vin Scully

2007 Vue 5-speed manual
1999 Chevrolet S-10 5-speed manual (RIP 2011)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to M7Mayberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help M7Mayberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
M7Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:08 AM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam View Post
I keep telling everyone the auto has a tall 4th gear drive ratio...allows me to cruise at 60mph @ 2000rpm or 65mph @ 2200rpm....very comfortable cruiser with the Hydra-matic. The bonus is that the 4 just sips gas at that rpm....
M are you pulling our leg? 1800 rpm

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:07 AM   #10
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Has anyone else checked out the new EPA figures on that site?

The FWD6 takes the big hit on the highway and goes from 20/28 to 18/25

AWD6 from 19/25 to 17/24
Interesting. I guess we don't do that much hard core "city driving" as I've never seen anything close to 17. I think the worst we've ever done is about 20mpg. The best was about 25mpg. That's on an '06 AWD.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #11
Dorian
Dorian is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz View Post
Interesting. I guess we don't do that much hard core "city driving" as I've never seen anything close to 17. I think the worst we've ever done is about 20mpg. The best was about 25mpg. That's on an '06 AWD.

Cheers,

In my 07 V6 FWD on one tank that was all city driving I got 18.66 mpg. On another I got 19.05 mpg. I would much rather have the advertised figures be low than high.

http://www.touringmotorcyclists.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dorian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dorian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #12
MichaelVUE
MichaelVUE is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I just took a reading on our 2006 AWD, and we got 19 MPG in a mix of city and highway driving - exactly what that site shows as a combined average.

We live on a plateau, and the VUE has to climb a pretty steep hill to come every day So that might cost us a mile or two.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MichaelVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MichaelVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MichaelVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
alank
alank is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2004 VUE 2.2L

I also have an '04 AWD V-6 and my mileage stay's 19-20 mpg in combined highway and city driving with most being interstate driving but the interstate speed probably averages 75-80 mph moving with traffic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alank's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alank reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
M are you pulling our leg? 1800 rpm
Put your glasses back on then re-read my post....

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #15
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Aparantly my driving is exactly like the "New EPA's" driving, because those numbers are dead on right for me. 26 combined (23 city, 32 hwy). Seems I'm besting my K-car by 4 (it's rated at 22MPG). And my old S-10 was getting 18

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #16
pd1601
pd1601 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SL1

As far as I'm concerned, the old EPA figures appear closer to the truth
2004 V6 FWD:
Lowest mileage: a shade under 20mpg for a tank in-city
Highest mileage: a shade under 28mpg for long-distance highway and cross-country.

We're averaging closer to 23mpg, there or there abouts, as opposed to teh 20mpg figure now quoted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pd1601's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pd1601 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pd1601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:30 PM   #17
pd1601
pd1601 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SL1

BTW, my 2001 SL1 gives me 30mpg for city driving. When I used to take it long-distance, I got a best of 42mpg, and regularly close to 40mpg. These figures exceed even the old EPA figures, let alone the new ones.

Last edited by pd1601; 04-08-2007 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Forgot the last line

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pd1601's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pd1601 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pd1601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #18
russellhome
russellhome is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Thanks for the link. Good info.

I have the '04 FWD V6 - and the new lower numbers are pretty much right on the money. I log mileage for every tank full and my overall average for the last 20K miles exactly matches the new mileage 'average' (20 mpg). I have occationally gotten better mileage than the stated highway mileage figure (26 mpg) and have occationally gotten worse mileage than the new City figure (18 mpg). But for average City and average Hwy numbers - the numbers pretty much match my experience exactly.

At the time I purchased the Vue, the other option I was considering was a quad-cab pickup. I see its new mileage figures as City: 14, Hwy: 18, Both: 15. That vehicle would have cost 25% more to operate. So given current (and most likely - future) gas prices, I've very glad I went with the Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to russellhome's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help russellhome reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
russellhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #19
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
.. Here is a web site that can show you what your vehicle SHOULD be getting for mpg...
That is still an incorrect interpretation. The revised EPA estimates are still estimates just as the prior estimates were and (here's the real and most important point) they always were for nothing more than comparing one car against another in a better or worse way. Nothing more, nothing less.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:58 AM   #20
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
That is still an incorrect interpretation. The revised EPA estimates are still estimates just as the prior estimates were and (here's the real and most important point) they always were for nothing more than comparing one car against another in a better or worse way. Nothing more, nothing less.
The key word is ESTIMATES...

I easily get the old EPA estmated mileage ratings, possibly the Mobil 1 oil and the Red Line's better aerodynamics help a bit. You'd think the wider tires would hurt mileage.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote