SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #1
jignha
jignha is on a distinguished road

Default DRLs/Turning Lights

Okiedokie. My DRL/Turn signals are all sorts of weird. Well, the left one is anyways. The blub blew and so I replaced it with the correct blub. I picked it up from my local Saturn dealership.

Anyhow, the DRL doesn't turn on and it doesn't function as a turn signal. It does, however, turn on when the headlights are on. But when it has power in this fashion it doesn't work as a turn signal.

I've got no clue how to fix this short of going to an automotive shop. Anyone have an idea of the problem? Or just take it in and have it fixed?

2005 Ion Quad Coupe 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jignha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jignha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jignha is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: DRLs/Turning Lights

if your rear ones still work and still blink at the normal speed, you have a weird problem and something major needs to be replaced, if the dash lights blink at an accelerated speed, you have an electrical problem just in the front part of the circuit, it could be the wiring, or something major needs to be replaced, if none of them work, you need something major replaced since these cars use a solid state blinker system. unless you can diagnose electrical problems, I suggest taking it in, but first, look at all your wiring in the blinker circuit.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #3
rollsroyce250
rollsroyce250 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
first, look at all your wiring in the blinker circuit.
Look at all your wiring? What does that mean? Oh, yes, my wiring is all bright colored wires under the hood where it belongs and it looks nice?
BE MORE SPECIFIC!

Here's what I suggest. Remove the bulb you replaced. Double check it is the correct part # by referencing it with the bulb list in your owner's manual. If it is, then check the bulb socket. Make sure the contacts in the socket are clean and corrosion free, as well as the contacts on the base of the bulb itself. Touch them up with steel wool if they aren't shiny. If that doesn't help, back to the Saturn service dep't.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rollsroyce250's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rollsroyce250 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rollsroyce250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsroyce250 View Post
Look at all your wiring? What does that mean? Oh, yes, my wiring is all bright colored wires under the hood where it belongs and it looks nice?
BE MORE SPECIFIC!

Here's what I suggest. Remove the bulb you replaced. Double check it is the correct part # by referencing it with the bulb list in your owner's manual. If it is, then check the bulb socket. Make sure the contacts in the socket are clean and corrosion free, as well as the contacts on the base of the bulb itself. Touch them up with steel wool if they aren't shiny. If that doesn't help, back to the Saturn service dep't.
Thats the ticket, or you could pull each and every wire out of the car unwrap all the harnesses so you can then check the wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:15 AM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

yes, because it's soooo hard to check a wiring harness, you can look for burned wiring or a cut harness very easily, if you have a multimeter, you can check if the ground or power part of the circuit is bad, but either way to fix it, you need to start unwrapping the harness to find where it's bad to fix it. I've had to do this twice to GM wiring harnesses, it's not a big deal, at least not for me.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
migs1974
migs1974 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Just had my Ion inspected over the weekend. There is a recall out for the turn Signal/Daytime running light module. Mine wasnt working, they replaced the bulb and it still wasnt working. Then 15 minutes later when they moved my car, it started working. Just made an appointment for this weekend to get it fixed/replaced.

poop

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to migs1974's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help migs1974 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
migs1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
yes, because it's soooo hard to check a wiring harness, you can look for burned wiring or a cut harness very easily, if you have a multimeter, you can check if the ground or power part of the circuit is bad, but either way to fix it, you need to start unwrapping the harness to find where it's bad to fix it. I've had to do this twice to GM wiring harnesses, it's not a big deal, at least not for me.

Maybe he is not a technition in training, and maybe we should not expect him to have a multimeter. Then maybe one should start with the basics like to see if the bulb is fully operational (both elements). It's a good idea to start at the beginning not the middle. The first thing to test is the bulb, next the socket, and so on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
phillthy
phillthy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

i had almost the same issue left front. it would randomly blow the bulb, it would work and then it wouldn't, it wouldn't blink but it would stay solid, etc. I took it to my dealer because i wanted to get a new bulb socket. he said he has never had to replace the socket, but he says the connection gets loose in side, he took the bulb out of the socket and used a small screw driver to pry the contacts inward so they grabbed the bulb better. I thought he was full of **** because the buld went in really tight in the first place. Anyway long story short, i messed with replacing bulbs and blinker randomly not working for a year and after he made it grip the bulb better(13 months ago) i have had no problem at all with the light, give it a try its free!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phillthy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phillthy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phillthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
rollsroyce250
rollsroyce250 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillthy View Post
I took it to my dealer because i wanted to get a new bulb socket. he said he has never had to replace the socket, but he says the connection gets loose in side, he took the bulb out of the socket and used a small screw driver to pry the contacts inward so they grabbed the bulb better.
Very good point!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rollsroyce250's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rollsroyce250 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rollsroyce250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
i had almost the same issue left front. it would randomly blow the bulb, it would work and then it wouldn't, it wouldn't blink but it would stay solid, etc. I took it to my dealer because i wanted to get a new bulb socket. he said he has never had to replace the socket, but he says the connection gets loose in side, he took the bulb out of the socket and used a small screw driver to pry the contacts inward so they grabbed the bulb better. I thought he was full of **** because the buld went in really tight in the first place. Anyway long story short, i messed with replacing bulbs and blinker randomly not working for a year and after he made it grip the bulb better(13 months ago) i have had no problem at all with the light, give it a try its free!

It's funny how someone with experience could think of such a thing. I bet he didn't evan pull out a mulitimeter or start stripping wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
phillthy
phillthy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

hahaha, i've got the feeling that alot of these post turn into a bashing of "2006 ion2". I have no proof of that though, its just a feeling!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phillthy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phillthy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phillthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #12
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Thats just your IMAGINATION, what they turn into is getting to correct and usefull information.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

they already checked the bulbs, if you read the post you would realize that, and since it's both front lights, the likelihood of it being a socket is almost none, unless two sockets went simultaneously. I am a licensed complex electronics, avionics, and countermeasure repair man, not at all in training, not for years. also, wires are a lot cheaper than a module, and a decent multimeter is $25 at radioshack, if you were an electronics repair person, you might realize that this is the beginning, not at all the middle.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #14
ChargerIon
ChargerIon is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by migs1974 View Post
There is a recall out for the turn Signal/Daytime running light module.
What "year" models does this recall include?? Just wondering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChargerIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChargerIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChargerIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:19 PM   #15
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
they already checked the bulbs, if you read the post you would realize that, and since it's both front lights, the likelihood of it being a socket is almost none, unless two sockets went simultaneously. I am a licensed complex electronics, avionics, and countermeasure repair man, not at all in training, not for years. also, wires are a lot cheaper than a module, and a decent multimeter is $25 at radioshack, if you were an electronics repair person, you might realize that this is the beginning, not at all the middle.
This is what you said ... see that up there
This what he said ... see that down there

Okiedokie. My DRL/Turn signals are all sorts of weird. Well, the left one is anyways.<-----MEANING ONE SIDE The blub <-----MEANING ONE blew and so I replaced it<----MEANING ONE with the correct blub. I picked it up from my local Saturn dealership.

Anyhow, the DRL doesn't turn on and it<----MEANS ONE doesn't function as a turn signal. It<----MEANING ONE does, however, turn on when the headlights are on. But when it<-----MEANING ONE has power in this fashion it<-----MEANING ONE doesn't work as a turn signal.
I've got no clue how to fix this short of going to an automotive shop. Anyone have an idea of the problem? Or just take it in and have it fixed?

Where does it say both,them,all,some? What in the world does the cost of a mulitimeter have to do with a bloody thing? Where do you the complex countermeasure repairman come up with this nonsence. People wonder why the U.S. army is in the shape it's in.

Last edited by SaturnSdn; 05-20-2009 at 11:27 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #16
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

ok, I must have gotten this one crossed up with another post I was reading on another forum, then yeah, check the socket first, then what I said. my point with the multimeter price, is there's no reason for someone to pick one up if they don't already have one to diagnose an electrical circuit. and it's complex electronics, avionics, and countermeasures, there are no simple countermeasures or avionics. but I am still human, and I still mix up posts with one another every now and then.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #17
migs1974
migs1974 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerIon View Post
What "year" models does this recall include?? Just wondering.
I'll have to double check when I get home. I wanna say 2003-2005 but i'm not sure.

poop

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to migs1974's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help migs1974 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
migs1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #18
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

The ION-DRL campaign includes all years from what I remember.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #19
yogi1200
yogi1200 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1
2004 ION-3 Sedan
Wrench Re: DRLs/Turning Lights

Quote:
I had the same problem with my 04 ION. I went to Galles Chevrolet (my authorized Saturn repair shop) and they told me it had already been fixed (from the recall). They wanted $94. just to lok at it. I told them the fix didn't take and they still wanted $94. just to look at it. My Saturn dealer never would have treated a customer like that. I emailed Galles and told them I wil NEVER enter their facility again. I then went home and used a screwdriver on the socket and it works great. For anyone in Albuquerque, Galles sucks.

Last edited by yogi1200; 03-13-2010 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: speling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yogi1200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yogi1200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yogi1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #20
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

The recall came out in 2004, at the time it covered all model years for the ION, 2003 & 2004. What they did was install a new section of wire with a resistor in it to keep it from burning bulbs. Funny thing is, mine never seemed to burn bulbs until after the recall was done, now it burns one every six months.

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote