SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
houstontexanfan
houstontexanfan is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default I no longer love my Saturn

I have an 1997 SC2 Black with Automatic and at first it was love, but now I don't like her anymore, which I have brought something else, she is not cheap to work on,unless your a Mechanic, or know your way around cars, last week a guy ran a red light and if I was sure I wouldn't have gotten hurt I would let let him hit my car, just so that I could get something else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to houstontexanfan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help houstontexanfan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
houstontexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member
wishihadacamaro is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SL2
Default Re: I no longer love my Saturn

What do you mean? Did you just say that a Saturn isn't cheap to work on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wishihadacamaro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wishihadacamaro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wishihadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishihadacamaro View Post
What do you mean? Did you just say that a Saturn isn't cheap to work on?
... That's what I was thinking...

Most expensive thing that's ever broken on my SC2 is what's broken on it right now ... I can't find an ignition control module for less than $80 and paying that much is hard for me to do considering I haven't paid more than $20 for anything for any of my Saturns in a long time.

And you don't have to know your way around a car. This website taught me everything I know about my car and I haven't taken it to a mechanic for anything except new tires and an alignment.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
Lsportline43
Lsportline43 is on a distinguished road

Huh? What's this all about? Can the OP get more specific? Any actual bill costs? What are you talking about? What went wrong?

If I'm not mistaken there really isn't anything that can beat these cars in terms of maintenance costs. Saturn S-Series, Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and Nissan Sentra all come to mind when it comes to cars that require little to no maintenance to drive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lsportline43's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lsportline43 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lsportline43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie View Post
... I can't find an ignition control module for less than $80 ...

Try car-part.com http://car-part.com/

Usually they go for $40.00 or less with 2 good coils. There is a herd of listings under ignitor/coil 50+ pages

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
houstontexanfan
houstontexanfan is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

the Alternator for one thing is going to cost me anywhere form 350 to 600 dollars to replace and that valve body another 1200, if I knew about the valve body issues, or any others I would stay clear and look at something else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to houstontexanfan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help houstontexanfan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
houstontexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

alternator should be much cheaper, i'm thinking it should be more like $150 tops for the part, and definately something you could do yourself, especially with the help of this board.

1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorisSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Alternator = $100 at the parts store and up to an hour to do. Must be booked for 6+ hours to get a $600 charge...

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

A used Alternator is about $50 and a few minutes of your time. Look for some how-to's or go to a Pick N Pull and practice on their cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
mr18436572
mr18436572 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

+1 ^^^

2000 SL2 auto - 167k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 161k - sold
1997 SC2 auto - 105k - sold
2000 SC2 auto - 117k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 250k - sold
2001 SC2 5sp - 160k - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr18436572's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr18436572 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwind999 View Post
A used Alternator is about $50 and a few minutes of your time. Look for some how-to's or go to a Pick N Pull and practice on their cars.
Best advice yet!

I've done two alternators (on a 94 SL1 and then took it off that car and put it on my 93 SC2), and I knew next to nothing when I did the first one. It's pretty hard to screw up, but it never hurts to just play around with a car that it doesn't matter if you mess it up.

I paid $80 for a refurb alternator from Advance Auto Parts and it's stronger and more powerful than the factory one. It's now running in my 93 SC2 and has probably about 70k total miles on it, most of them running an incredibly powerful battery and stereo system.

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
yogi1200
yogi1200 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1
2004 ION-3 Sedan
Dizzy Re: I no longer love my Saturn

You have got to be more specific! My alt went out and while it was a pain in the A@@ to fix (FEB 07) in the cold, it could hardly be called expensive! What other issues are you having?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yogi1200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yogi1200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yogi1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #13
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Alternators are not hard to replace. They are held in by (2) 13MM Bolts and that's it.

It would be like changing a water pump....access wise. Jack the car up, put on Jackstands, remove the Serpentine Belt and the Alternator is at the back bottom part of the Engine. I had never replaced one until earlier this summer, but with the help of this board, richpin's videos, Chilton Manual, Haynes Manual and FSMs...( I know overkill)....it all worked great for me when I bought my wagon from Boston to drive back to Cincinnati.

If you are wondering...I needed to replace the Alternator before I could drive the car back to Cincinnati. It was a repair that I was aware of when I decided to buy the car.

I had purchased a serpentine belt, water pump and alternator off of Rockauto.com all for $150 and had the parts shipped to Boston.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #14
cola
Advanced Member
cola is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie View Post

And you don't have to know your way around a car. This website taught me everything I know about my car and I haven't taken it to a mechanic for anything except new tires and an alignment.

+1. I wouldn't have been able to do any of the repairs to our Saturn's if it were not for this site. Before I found the site an oil change was as complicated as I could get with cars. Just a few months ago I replaced the engine cradle and clutch on my moms' '96 SL1 thanks to SaturnFans.

The car is 11 years old so you are bound to run in to some problems. However, the ones you have listed are not very complicated repairs besides the valve body. Don't give up on your Satty yet.

David

2009 Aura XE 2.4-----SOLD
2004 Vue 3.5 AWD
1999 SL2 Auto
1998 SL2 5-Speed------SOLD
1996 SL1 5-Speed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cola's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cola reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #15
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

houstontexanfan, prior to finding this website the most I ever did on a car was an oil change. I found the Saturns to be so easy to work on I now own 6 (just got another one today). This past Saturday I did two outer tie rods and lower control arms/balljoints replacement at a total cost of about $200 for new parts. For sh@ts and giggles I called my Saturn dealership and the total quote was $1100. I learned how to do it from this website and also following the link below for videos on the repairs.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...highlight=ects

I've found many used parts in great shape at a u-pull junk yard including starters, a/c parts. alternators, cruise control, etc.

Just spend the time looking for parts. I found brand new factory ignition modules and two new coils, too, for a total price of $39.95, on ebay. Check out http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8174&viewitem=

Read this forum often and you'll see discount codes for parts, too.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:42 PM   #16
saturnsl293
Advanced Member
saturnsl293 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

I'd agree I had to replace my alternater in August and though it was a bit of a pain it wasn't that hard. I did the serp belt at the same time as I had a feeling I was going to need to and saw for sure when I pulled the belt off and it ran me maybe a little more then $100 for the cheapist alt and the belt (core return off the alt covered the belt with some left over) from Autozone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsl293's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsl293 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsl293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #17
KevinVarnes
KevinVarnes has a spectacular aura aboutKevinVarnes has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
1995 SW2

Instead of posting every couple of months about how your car is junk and you don't know how to work on it why don't you spend a few minutes searching around here to figure out how to resolve your issues.

'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'93 T-Bird SC AOD
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W
'00 Saturn SL1 5 Speed (wife's car)
'95 Saturn SW2 (automatic for now)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevinVarnes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevinVarnes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevinVarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:22 AM   #18
Spazie
Master Member

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growser View Post
houstontexanfan, prior to finding this website the most I ever did on a car was an oil change.
That's two steps ahead of me. Before I found this website, I knew how to check tire pressure, check oil, and put gas in it. That was about it.

Now I've assisted in changing brakes (including a rear drum-to-disc swap on my 93 SC2), changing out an exhaust manifold for a header, a water pump, an idler pulley, two alternators, a belt tensioner and a cam cover gasket (this is between the 4 S-series I have owned). I even helped my brother drop the gas tank on my 93 to put in a new fuel pump.

Completely on my own for both my cars and even some of my friend's cars, I've done two ECTSs, 3 sets of spark plugs and wires, coil packs, oxygen sensor, intake air temp sensor, cleaned one EGR and replaced another, two thermostats, cleaned 4 throttle bodies, and reattached a friend's air dam. I'm about to do a series of transmission fluid changes (on my two cars, my husband's car, and my mom's car), and accompanying oil changes, replace another cam cover gasket and an ignition control module, and I might even get up enough nerve to do the struts myself.

Did I mention I'm a 23 year old female? My first experience actually working on the cars was when I helped my brother change out the alternator on my 94 SL1 when I was 17.

04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #19
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member
wishihadacamaro is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

I haven't done an oil change on my car yet. It's been about 3050 miles since the last one. I'm getting a floor jack and jackstands today, though!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wishihadacamaro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wishihadacamaro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wishihadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #20
Cat Fuzz
Cat Fuzz is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

I gotta admit, I'm really not liking my Saturn these days either. But that has more to do with the three feet of snow we've gotten recently. My Rodeo is the shiz in this stuff.

03 GMC Envoy XL
99 Isuzu Rodeo V-6, 4WD, Rebuilt 3.2L with 3.5L internals
63 Mercury Comet Convertible

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cat Fuzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cat Fuzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote