SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2018, 02:12 PM   #41
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line
Default Re: Engine Swap Advice (2002-2001 SC2-1)

Congratulations on a nearly complete drive train swap!

I did my swap 3 years ago, and you reminded me of all the little (and big) challenges along the way.

Happy trails!

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #42
SSarge
SSarge is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1998 SL2

Congratulations on getting your Saturn running.

The BCM contains the stored odometer mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SSarge's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SSarge reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SSarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:13 PM   #43
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Passlock is in the lock housing, not the lock proper. All you need to do is run the security reset AFTER you have replaced BOTH the PCM and BCM. That should get them synced. As it now runs you did what needed to be done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:27 PM   #44
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Very nice job! Kudos and welcome to the forums.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:17 PM   #45
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnGirl02 View Post
Progress Update!

The car starts and runs!! : So, after reading a bunch of random information on the internet, much of it on this forum, I decided to try some things before looking into getting the pcm reprogrammed. What worked in the end was, with the SC1's pcm and bcm, I turned the key to the run position, left it for 10 minutes while the security light blinked, and when the light shut off (which was almost exactly at the ten minute mark), I turned the key off, and did it again. I did it three times, and after shutting it off on the third time, I tried to start the car. The security light did not blink at all and the car immediately started, stayed running without a problem and has started multiple times.

Other random notes: The car shows the low miles from the SC1 engine, I assume because both the pcm and the bcm are in the new body. The SC1 that all of this came from had no features at all (crank windows, no running lights, no electric locks, nothing.) All of those things now work on the SC2 body even though I am using the pcm and bcm from the other car, as does the sunroof. I am assuming the cruise control will not but haven't tried it since I cannot yet attempt to drive the car, but we'll see. Every single wire and connector matches up on both cars, the colors of the wires match and everything, with a few exceptions that had to be modified and the one to the power steering left off (just in case anyone reads this thread with the intention of doing a swap themselves and wants to know!).

Thank you all again for your help and input. I still have to change the throttle cable (they are two different lengths), the shifter cable, bleed the brakes, and fix the exhaust or have a new one made (mine was destroyed in the accident and the SC2 does not match what comes off the cradle of the SC1). I will post again when everything is complete and the car is driving!

Happy New Year too all!
The difference between the SOHC exhaust and DOHC exhaust are the manifold head pipe. After the converter, the DOHC has a resonator(which can remain in the system with the SOHC without ill-effects to performance or economy). Once you are past the resonator, the pipes, hangers, and even the muffler are identical.

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog...catalog-lookup

You can use this website for seeing the exhaust system diagram.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #46
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Nice work and congratulations!

Kudos to you for tackling this job and saving a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
3rd gens don't care about the cluster like 1st and 2nd gens do. Put whatever cluster in you feel like...even if it's a L-Series or Vue or Torrent (full swap list).
Good to know, thanks! I'm a big fan of the Pontiac Torrent gauge set.

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...postcount=5201

I do a fair amount of night time driving and the red lit needles / numbers is easy on the eyes. I just have to mask off the traction control light and remember to run a code scanner on it occasionally

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:50 AM   #47
hendryjullius
hendryjullius is on a distinguished road

good day

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hendryjullius's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hendryjullius reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hendryjullius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #48
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Spammer in our midst folks - please report him. He did a bunch of good day posts so he could start posting links.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote