SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
dmgold
dmgold is on a distinguished road

Default Desperate in PA!!

Hi, my daughter just bought an engine for a 2006 Saturn Vue redline (8thvin#4) & the old "insulators" and bolts in the front of the cradle are broken. The bolts can be found anywhere, but the insulators (gm part# 22691596) are discontinued & can not be found anywhere. Every single place that has them on the internet doesn't really have them. Twice we have been charged and received emails that they are not in stock. Do you have any or any ideas? I can not find an aftermarket and don't know what might be interchangeable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Local chevy dealers no help. If I don't find them I guess this perfect car and engine are obsolete?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmgold's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmgold reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmgold is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Desperate in PA!!

have a pic or diagram of where/ what part looks like?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
dmgold

No, I don't right now, but there are a lot of drawings of it (the same places that don't have it. I will get a pic soon ty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dmgold reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

If it's possible to get a drawing so that we could know what the locations are for the insulators you require, then some of us may be able to search them out for you in wrecking yards. It's not an easy task, but there are those who are willing to help you find the items you're looking for.

Here in CA where vehicles are generally not exposed to issues which generate rust many good used parts can be found. There is a wrecking yard in L A County which specializes in Saturn parts and you may call them to see if they can help you.

AMC Auto Salvage (American Made Cars) 1310 E Lomita Blvd., Wilmington, CA (310)830-6880

302,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

So CAl Vue's in wrecking yards for parts... Is this 'insulator' part you're looking for exclusive to the REdline or generic to theVue?http://sandiego.craigslist.org/searc...ery=saturn+vue

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
dmgold

It won't allow me to use a link because I am new, so I hope the attachment works
Forgive me, but I am new to this. I really appreciate the help! I have checked every junk yard and they have national links. The 2 local chevy dealers said it was just for this car, which we found hard to believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saturn.jpg (6.7 KB, 26 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
billysvue
Master Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

looks like you need two of each( items #3,#4) correct?http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co.../22679654.html

'17 Suby Forester

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgold View Post
Hi, my daughter just bought an engine for a 2006 Saturn Vue redline (8thvin#4) & the old "insulators" and bolts in the front of the cradle are broken. The bolts can be found anywhere, but the insulators (gm part# 22691596) are discontinued & can not be found anywhere. Every single place that has them on the internet doesn't really have them. Twice we have been charged and received emails that they are not in stock. Do you have any or any ideas? I can not find an aftermarket and don't know what might be interchangeable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Local chevy dealers no help. If I don't find them I guess this perfect car and engine are obsolete?
If it were mine to repair I'd enlarge the frame access slots sufficient to remove the damaged insulators and simply use heavy duty washers and nuts for the cradle bolts to attach to.

And if existing cradle bolts don't work out - pick up new bolts, washers and nuts of equivalent strength from nearest farm implement store.

Anyone who lives in northern tier and has added a front towing hitch to a Vue most likely understands those cradle bolts and insulators are a ticking bomb.

Primarily because most hitches require replacement of cradle bolts with something longer for added hardware and its a struggle to remove and replace cradle bolts.

I've attach a few pix - first two are from parts list to assist non-Vue owner with an idea of how cradle bolts and insulators are arranged and last is pix of left front cradle bolt on my 2005 Vue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen_2016-10-06 21.14.08.jpg (177.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg screen_2016-10-06 21.14.58.jpg (144.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg cradle hole-edit.jpg (128.6 KB, 35 views)

I don't spend much time on forum but answer private messages (PM email my phone). Include email address if you need pdf extracts. Don't use visitor message - I forget to check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #9
dmgold

Gosh, every has been great! Thank you so, so much. I will show my husband and the mechanic the idea of "converting" it with nuts, bolts and a plate. I need (2) #3 in diagram (front part #22691596). I am also calling GM today, not they will care, but this is ridiculous, it seems like almost every part known to man is available in oem or aftermarket. Sorry if I am not using the proper forum etiquette, I will learn, lol. I saw that diagram many times, and guessed (because only the bolts were labeled) it was either part #3 or #4. thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgold View Post
Gosh, every has been great! Thank you so, so much. I will show my husband and the mechanic the idea of "converting" it with nuts, bolts and a plate. I need (2) #3 in diagram (front part #22691596). I am also calling GM today, not they will care, but this is ridiculous, it seems like almost every part known to man is available in oem or aftermarket. Sorry if I am not using the proper forum etiquette, I will learn, lol. I saw that diagram many times, and guessed (because only the bolts were labeled) it was either part #3 or #4. thanks again
I've attached GM service manual procedures to replace insulator 22691596 and it appears the insulator is part of - and attached to - the engine/transmission/suspension sub-frame (aka cradle).

In this case replacing 22691596 would do absolutely no good at all since I interpret your problem as being with the "nut-plate" embedded in the Vue's frame.

I suspect the "nut-plate" is replaceable since the frame has the access hole but that is the part I suggested be replaced by old fashion nuts and as large washer as the frame-space will accommodate.

I have the procedure to remove sub-frame from Vue - I can email if you PM address - disregard the offer if mechanic has already dropped sub-frame (cradle) and replaced engine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Frame Insulator.pdf (87.4 KB, 23 views)

I don't spend much time on forum but answer private messages (PM email my phone). Include email address if you need pdf extracts. Don't use visitor message - I forget to check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

To all following this thread ... the OP sent private message saying mechanic needs the isolators ... so I was off-track.

My experience with cradle attachment hardware has been corroded captive nuts in the square-tube frame so that's the path I was charging along.

I've not heard of defective insulators in my time with this forum but they are mostly rubber so I suppose they could be damaged if cradle was incorrectly removed from Vue.

I posted FSM extract to replace insulators in post 10 which appears to show a new insulator (if they even exist) has small flanges being bent to secure insulator to cradle attach point.

If true - to my way of thinking - this makes the insulator a one-time use component. But, even so ... carefully cannibalizing two undamaged ones from a another cradle probably makes more sense that a total cradle replacement (total transfer of engine, transmission, suspension, steering gear, etc).

OMG.

Last edited by far2grumpy; 10-07-2016 at 01:25 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

More less than useful information ... picture of right front cradle insulator - pix of 2007 Vue but 04-07 with 3.5 similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rt Frnt Insulator Assy.jpg (170.5 KB, 38 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

More feedback from OP - at least one front cradle bolt is broken off in frame hardware.

I've attached photo of a few cradle bolts - the old ones came are from a 2005 Vue - removed about four years back - when Vue had around 45,000 miles.

Keep in mind four of these bolts keep the front sub-frame ... with engine, transmission, suspension, tires, wheels, steering and sway bar attached to Vue frame.

I'm tempted to replace all my cradle bolts but imagine half of the old ones will break in half before breaking loose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cradle bolts.jpg (166.5 KB, 22 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-07-2016, 06:38 PM   #14
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Whether or not the following is helpful, the OP will have to determine for herself.

Finding this sub-frame and removing it is not one which your typical DIYer (Do-It-Yourself...er) will do when searching for good parts at a "self-serve" wrecking yard. Removal of the sub-frame requires that the engine must remain suspended in place during and after removal. This would be a time consuming event for a DIYer especially if there is no access to power tools and if one had to leave behind a support tool. It would take less time for employees at a common wrecking yard to separate the engine and sub-frame, nevertheless it is not a job done quickly.

Most common wrecking yards have engine hoists available for their work. I would expect that they would remove the engine if they were to sell a sub-frame. A good sub-frame would be somewhat expensive, but if it will keep your vehicle going for many more years then it will have paid for itself.

The website below has sub-frames available and you can look up their prices by plugging in the necessary infromation. Under "select part" choose "engine cradle."
http://www.car-part.com/

302,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:26 AM   #15
Tobacconist
Tobacconist is on a distinguished road

Here is a good video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hwkFnmdhu0I

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tobacconist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tobacconist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tobacconist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #16
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

Last spring I paid $85 for a good K frame. No rust, came out of Texas. One advantage is that frame is used on a lot of vehicles and a lot of years.

The frame swap went fairly easy, but I qualify by saying I had the frame out several years ago so kind of knew what needed to be done and the order to do it.

An impact driver is probably the only absolutely must have tool.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234668

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:50 PM   #17
Tobacconist
Tobacconist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
Last spring I paid $85 for a good K frame. No rust, came out of Texas. One advantage is that frame is used on a lot of vehicles and a lot of years.

The frame swap went fairly easy, but I qualify by saying I had the frame out several years ago so kind of knew what needed to be done and the order to do it.

An impact driver is probably the only absolutely must have tool.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234668

Did you have difficulty removing the front two frame bolts shown in the video that I linked?

Also how did you find the frame?

$85 is a good price though only the 4-cylinder frame is shared with other Theta based cars, the 3.5L seems to be unique to the Vue.

Last edited by Tobacconist; 12-30-2018 at 10:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tobacconist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tobacconist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tobacconist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:29 PM   #18
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Did you have difficulty removing the front two frame bolts shown in the video that I linked?
yes. On the drivers side, I had to elongate the hole in the frame so I could get a wrench in there to hold the nut plate. I used an impact driver to get the bolts out

Spray the nut plates down with PB blaster a couple times a day a few days before you start the removal process..

I found the frame on e-bay.

When you re-assemble, use anti-seize on the bolts.

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:25 AM   #19
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Drop these folks a note, see if they can help...

http://www.saturnautosalvage.com/request.htm

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote