SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 01:05 AM   #1
Tenchi Masaki
Tenchi Masaki is on a distinguished road

Default Chevy Equinox, a compact truck based on the new Saturn Vue

http://www.auto.com/industry/gm14_20020814.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tenchi Masaki's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tenchi Masaki reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2002, 01:54 AM   #2
L300Boy
Master Member
L300Boy is on a distinguished road

heheh...nice turn of events. Chevy now gets rebadged saturns, instead of the other way around.

Now if they replace the cavalier with the ION, im really going to laugh hard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Boy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2002, 08:47 AM   #3
pkschul
Advanced Member
pkschul is on a distinguished road

Crap... I could've waited another year and used my GM card dollars.... it's got the polymer panels and everything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pkschul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pkschul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2002, 08:50 AM   #4
pkschul
Advanced Member

"But while Saturn's truck will get an optional Honda-designed V6 for 2003, the optional engine of the Equinox will almost certainly be one of GM's new high feature V6s, according to Tom Stephens, GM group vice president for powertrains.

The 3.6-liter V6 will produce about 250 horsepower, with a 2.8-liter version delivering more than 200 horsepower, Stephens said. "

Wait... I thought this Honda designed engine was a dead issue... is it really in the 2003 models?
Of course the chebby will get more HP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pkschul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2002, 10:27 AM   #5
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I really think it's smart for GM to sell Chevy's as rebadged Saturns rather than the other way around. Chevy buyers won't care (the "buy American" segment of their customer base will prefer that to rebadged Toyotas or Suzukis) and we all know what Saturn buyers think of Saturns as rebadged Chevy's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2002, 10:42 AM   #6
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally posted by pkschul
Crap... I could've waited another year and used my GM card dollars.... it's got the polymer panels and everything.
Didn't see anything in the article that said it had polymer panels. Just that it ws built on the same chassis, and that the V6 version would have a more powerfull engine than the VUE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2002, 11:22 AM   #7
hasitha
hasitha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by L300Boy
heheh...nice turn of events. Chevy now gets rebadged saturns, instead of the other way around.

Now if they replace the cavalier with the ION, im really going to laugh hard.
C'mon guys, wake up. There is no Saturn anymore, it is a marketing division just like Chevrolet. GM decides what cars they get and engineer it for them. From what I read, the Ion is a car built on the Delta platform and so is the Opel Astra. similarly the next Cavalier will come out of the Delta platform. It won't be a rebadged Ion, it will be a Cavalier.

The Vue is a GMT315 (as stated by AutoWorld) and the Chevy will be based on the same platform just like the Impala, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, regal, Century and Intrigue are based on the w-platform.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hasitha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hasitha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2002, 11:28 AM   #8
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by spork

Didn't see anything in the article that said it had polymer panels. Just that it ws built on the same chassis, and that the V6 version would have a more powerfull engine than the VUE.
I'm not sure but in a earlier thread a few weeks ago I THINK it said it would have poly panels

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2002, 12:30 PM   #9
pkschul
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricksLS1

I'm not sure but in a earlier thread a few weeks ago I THINK it said it would have poly panels
Yeah, I read an article that stated it would be poly shelled.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2002, 03:59 PM   #10
XtremeGrandAm
Master Member
XtremeGrandAm is on a distinguished road

hmm..I'm at a loss for words.....very intersting Chevy using a rebadged Saturn. Id prefrer to chevy vs the vue becuse i dont like the honda motor idea. Id rather have a GM V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XtremeGrandAm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XtremeGrandAm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2002, 04:50 PM   #11
DesertPuma
DesertPuma is on a distinguished road

It sounds like the Honda engine is going to be an option, as opposed to a standard feature.

Now a proud Subie owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DesertPuma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DesertPuma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2002, 05:38 PM   #12
L300Boy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pkschul
"But while Saturn's truck will get an optional Honda-designed V6 for 2003, the optional engine of the Equinox will almost certainly be one of GM's new high feature V6s, according to Tom Stephens, GM group vice president for powertrains.

Wait... I thought this Honda designed engine was a dead issue... is it really in the 2003 models?
Of course the chebby will get more HP.
Thats gotta be a mistake in the article....it would be nice if they started dropping them in midyear.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help L300Boy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2002, 05:42 AM   #13
Kahakeaboi
Advanced Member
Kahakeaboi is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Question *scratches head*

I have a question...

Does GM even know what it is doing anymore?!?

I think they are spreading themselves too far out...How they are not losing money i have not quite figured out, especially after taking over the ailing Daewoo Corporation...
Yes they have Hummer too, now, but that should help them, cause if i could i would be ordering my H2!!!

They are doing what they did back in the 80s again...spreading the platforms thin and not really developing the brands themselves...Nissan lost it's identity years ago. Thankfully they found it and are in the right direction!!!

Let's hope that GM/Saturn can too!!!

Aaron

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kahakeaboi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kahakeaboi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2002, 10:04 AM   #14
WillCG
WillCG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by L300Boy

Thats gotta be a mistake in the article....it would be nice if they started dropping them in midyear.
Agreed.

I have noticed several "mistakes" on the auto.com Web site in the past. There have been several occasions in which their information appears to be 6 months to a year old. I don't know who their editor(s) is(are), but they need to do a better job.

C.G.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WillCG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WillCG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2002, 12:26 PM   #15
hasitha
hasitha is on a distinguished road

Default Re: *scratches head*

Quote:
Originally posted by Kahakeaboi
I have a question...

Does GM even know what it is doing anymore?!?

...Yes they have Hummer too, now, but that should help them, cause if i could i would be ordering my H2!!!
I think you answered your own question here. You seem to really like what they did with the H2, which form what I have read is a GMT800 based truck done completely within GM. Looks like they know what they are doing...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hasitha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hasitha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2002, 02:46 PM   #16
Kahakeaboi
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Unfortunately...

Yes, but think about it...Only Cadillac and Hummer brands seem to be on the right direction?!? Ok, and with Lutz getting his GTO, i guess you could say pontiac too...

Mr. Lutz, hello...we still have Saturn here!!! What about our direction?

Hopefully not six feet under!!!

ARGH!!!

Aaron

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Kahakeaboi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2002, 02:48 PM   #17
L300Boy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WillCG

Agreed.

I have noticed several "mistakes" on the auto.com Web site in the past. There have been several occasions in which their information appears to be 6 months to a year old. I don't know who their editor(s) is(are), but they need to do a better job.

C.G.
I think the rumor mill at saturnfans is more accurate than the media

Changing displacement size from 3.0 to 3.5 and increasing hp by 50 without telling anyone wouldnt go unnoticed. Its not something you could exactly hide. And you know saturn would make a really big deal about this too --- they did that with the ION's ecotec.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-03-2002, 02:16 PM   #18
L300Boy
Master Member

some of those lines remind me of something ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-03-2002, 02:22 PM   #19
DesertPuma
DesertPuma is on a distinguished road

Nice Pic Casey... where'd you find that?

Anyhoo, as a VUE owner I must say much of what I see are very VUE-like, especially the lines on the side as you alluded to.

However to me it still says "Chevy". The front-end looks very different from the VUE more TB-like, from this pic the back end looks more rounded than the VUE's. The VUE's is more "squareish".

Now a proud Subie owner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DesertPuma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DesertPuma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2002, 02:29 PM   #20
Kahakeaboi
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default wow

Maybe it is the color, but that is not a bad looking truck!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread