SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 01-16-2021, 10:31 PM   #1
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
Default No crank, no start

So tonight I started up my car and started to drive and noticed that the tach remained at zero (not moving) and there were several warning lights on, can't remember which for sure, except for ABS, and the wrench, but there were others. Turned the car off thinking maybe theres a computer glitch, and tried to start it again. It won't crank, no click. Tried to boost it, nothing. We even tried to bump start it, and it wouldn't fire. Any ideas of where to start looking? Coil pack maybe?
2009 Saturn Astra XR3 5-Speed - 83,000KM
kikastra is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2021, 01:47 AM   #2
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: No crank, no start

The tach at zero with those symptoms sometimes indicates a bad crank position sensor. Check the codes with a code reader before going down that route as there are other possibilities. Most of the YouTube videos for Astra H are for different engines (so have different placement of sensor).

How old is the battery? Can you measure the voltage? When the battery is weak, some computer modules will go flakey and you might see some warning lights and failing gauges, which seem random.

Could also be an alarm or computer issue. Have you changed the keys or replaced any important modules recently? There was a good series from Pine Hollow on YouTube with these and some other problems.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:46 PM   #3
kikastra
kikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura aboutkikastra has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraFasta View Post
The tach at zero with those symptoms sometimes indicates a bad crank position sensor. Check the codes with a code reader before going down that route as there are other possibilities. Most of the YouTube videos for Astra H are for different engines (so have different placement of sensor).

How old is the battery? Can you measure the voltage? When the battery is weak, some computer modules will go flakey and you might see some warning lights and failing gauges, which seem random.

Could also be an alarm or computer issue. Have you changed the keys or replaced any important modules recently? There was a good series from Pine Hollow on YouTube with these and some other problems.
Thanks, I'll check the codes, and see what it pulls. The battery is only a year and a half old, and it usually will make a clicking sound when dead enough not to start, and no clicking noise when completely dead, but no auxiliaries will power on when completely dead. Headlights and all auxiliaries work fine, so I don't think it's the battery.

I haven't changed the keys or any modules whatsoever. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #4
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Hopefully it's not the crank sensor, that's a bear to replace unless you remove the axle shaft.
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:57 PM   #5
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I second the crank position sensor but you should be pulling a code if that's what it is, so definitely read your codes. That would be the first guess though it can be other less common things more electrical/computer related.

Its a cheap repair for the sensor but if you do it yourself be prepared for a lot of cursing lol Its a pain to get at! Easier to take out than it is to put back on also. Good luck with it.
~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 04:30 PM   #6
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

So, yesterday I went out to where I left my car, to get any codes, and check out if I blew any fuses, as I have theory on what could be the problem, more on that in a bit. So I go to start the car just to see since it was sitting for 2 days, you never know, and it fired right up. So far, no repeat of the problem. So back to my theory, last year I needed to check a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. Trying to open it, I broke the clip off, so now it doesn't close sealed. So I'm thinking maybe moisture had gotten into that area as it was very damp that day. When I went to pull codes there was nothing, so I guess it's not any of the suggestions, thankfully. I'll see if I can seal up the fuse box and hope that was it.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #7
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

https://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co...fira-b.371985/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiXLYdlQb_Y
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:06 AM   #8
kikastra

2009 Astra XR

Thank you