SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 07-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2
Default Anyone have CB radio on your Vue?

Where do you have everything mounted?

pics?

And yes I know that not many people use CB much any more but the yards I go to have local channels.

C.W.McCall & scrapping (lots of the yards have local channels) spawned this BTW
Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
tomster
tomster is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Anyone have CB radio on your Vue?

I would like to mount mine but I just have it laying under the front passenger seat. I use a pigtail with a 12v cig lighter plug for power and I have a full size CB antenna with magnet mount laying on the floor behind the front seats. It has a weather band. If I want to use it ( I don't much) I can move the antenna up on the roof. It does pick up a little with it laying on the floor but not too good.
2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M
tomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I know a lot of guys on the Explorerforum have CBs for offroading communication, but I haven't heard of anyone really using them beyond that these days.
Not a Saturn.
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
I know a lot of guys on the Explorerforum have CBs for offroading communication, but I haven't heard of anyone really using them beyond that these days.

Some of the scrap yards I go to use them to communicate with you and I figure if I have about 40ish bucks (used equipement) in it what is it going to hurt
Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

I have a CB/weather radio on my 03 VUE. I use a magnetic mount antenna on the rear roof. My CB unit has all the controls on the mike, with a small box (housing the antenna and power connections) mounted under the passenger seat.

I use the CB when on the interstate. Truckers, for the most part, are a helpful bunch of folks.

Off the interstate, I use the weather radio quite a bit.
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomster View Post
I would like to mount mine but I just have it laying under the front passenger seat. I use a pigtail with a 12v cig lighter plug for power and I have a full size CB antenna with magnet mount laying on the floor behind the front seats. It has a weather band. If I want to use it ( I don't much) I can move the antenna up on the roof. It does pick up a little with it laying on the floor but not too good.
Its not good for the CB xmitter output by leaving the antenna inside the car; the signal output is radiated outwards according to antenna length and its base. When a magnet mount is used the antenna is 'tuned' with a SWR box connected between the antenna coax connector and cb unit to fine tune the antenna signal output otherwise the xmitted signal is wasted and radiates back into the radio, killing any effort to talk to anyone, and receive poor signals when listening. Once tuned, the magnet mount can be removed for storage and simply put back on in the same place to keep the same set up. All cb radios were limited to 4 watts for in-car use. The range was no more than about 2-5 miles and depended on tuning the full length antenna (7'-9'?) while a shorter (1/4 wave) made short antennas (3'-4'?) manageable for magnet mounts on the rear trunk or roof. Its always better to tune the antenna for the car mount to get the best xmitted and receive range. Did this years ago with a small car and rigged everything to hide when not in use so there wasn't any trace of my cb unit in the car. Used a velcro mount to stick the radio overhead and wired a hidden power connector around the windshield trim along with the coax cable to tuck under the visor. Used the cb radio for long distance travel to stay in touch with anyone for 'bears'. Long before laser radar.

With family radios (popular hand held ones) now replacing the cb radios, the same range is used but a little more restricted to line of sight. They're nice for multiple caravans to stay together in moderate to heavy traffic on outings. Also for camping, keeping track of kids in the mall or the neighborhood, etc.. While cell phones are nice, keeping them ON just to communicate kills the battery when going in and out of cellular tower range. Get off road and away from main roads and cell towers disappear altogether. The little hand held walkie talkies come into play without needing a cell tower. Its too bad these family radios can't use the old cb bands to have the best of both.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
tomster

2007 VUE 2.2L

Well I'm sure you're right about the antenna needing to be installed on the outside of the vehicle. I mostly don't really use the CB at all, and maybe I mostly installed the unit so I would have the weather band radio. If I get stuck somewhere out in the boonies I can just put the antenna up on the roof and see how it works, I guess.
2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M
Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its too bad that you have to have all that unnecessary equipment just to use the weather band.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
tomster

2007 VUE 2.2L

Well it would be cool if it were standard in the am/fm radio. I already had the CB and it sits under the seat ok, so there it is.
2007 VUE 2.2 5M
2009 Chevy Cobalt 2.2 5M
Old 08-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

I have one in my SC2. Have it wedged between the passenger seat and the E-brake. I have the antenna propped up in the cupholder in the backseat so the top half is past the top of the seat, it works alright that way. I only have it because it was my dads old one and just sitting in the garage. I figured might as well throw it in the S just to do it lol.
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
VTchemist
VTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the roughVTchemist is a jewel in the rough

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomster View Post
Well I'm sure you're right about the antenna needing to be installed on the outside of the vehicle. I mostly don't really use the CB at all, and maybe I mostly installed the unit so I would have the weather band radio. If I get stuck somewhere out in the boonies I can just put the antenna up on the roof and see how it works, I guess.
I do this too! I mainly use it for the weatherband. When I am on the interstate, I will put it on the rear roof.
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote