SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
dakota1820
Advanced Member
dakota1820 will become famous soon enough

2002 SL
1995 SL2
Default crappy feeling shifting

my saturn had the axle replaced so i had to put new fluid in. i know the top fluids are the castrol and the torque drive but they are hard to find around here. so i bought some valvoline import multi vehicle atf... and it shifted ok at first but now its less than impressive.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dakota1820's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dakota1820 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dakota1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
Default Re: crappy feeling shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post
valvoline import multi vehicle atf
the transmission was designed for dexron III (mobil1 is often recommended). drain and refill with the proper fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SL
1995 SL2

it says fgor use in gm and fords. i figured that meant it was fine is a multi type atf

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dakota1820 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

No, it is for the ricer transmissions.

You can use Any Dexron/Mercon compatible Universal ATF. It will list Dexron - 3 compatibility on the back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SL
1995 SL2

i looked it says can be used in place of dex 3 but it really sucks. i called my local napa and asked if they had any allison approved transmission fluids and they said dex 6 is whats approved................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

Quote:
i looked it says can be used in place of dex 3 but it really sucks. i called my local napa and asked if they had any allison approved transmission fluids and they said dex 6 is whats approved................
Look at a bottle of Dex VI (the real stuff). It will say specifically that it replaces Dex III, EXCEPT in Saturns. I think OldNuc has a picture of a label in his photo gallery.

Dex VI is certainly not a good idea (it's too thin), and neither is an import ATF.

If you don't have a local supplier and you don't want to order fluid, get one from the auto store than specifies DexIII and Mercon compatibility. Mobil 1 and Royal Purple are both very good, compatible fluids, and they can typically be found locally (Mobil 1 certainly can, at least).

If you don't mind ordering it, and waiting a few days, you can get Amsoil Torque Drive from a multitude of dealers that you can find online. Some offer free shipping, although there may be a minimum purchase limit.

(Dex VI is not a TES 295 fluid. As far as I know, it is only used in Allison transmissions sold by GM, and Allison does not warranty them--if they fail, it's on GM.) If you look at fluids that are specified as TES 295 compliant, you will see that they are also Dex III compliant, but NOT Dex VI compliant. Allison recommends TES 295 fluid (or Transynd, by the brand name) for extended drain intervals in most if not all of their transmissions.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

Last edited by PlasticCarsRock; 11-17-2012 at 04:47 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SL
1995 SL2

that makes sense. i need to get something else. i would like to get mobil delvac atf or transynd but they are next to impossible to find. and i cant find a synchromesh that is synthetic. i like saturns but i hate how picky they seem to be!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

just get the autozone brand Dex III and be done with it.

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Synchromesh is not really want you want to be using unless it is Red Line.

Transynd is found at the large truck shop that does fluid changes and any shop that does major repairs. Google will find your local large truck repair shop and they will have it. Large truck stops usually stock it as well.

Torque-Drive may be ordered direct from Amsoil or locate the local dealer. http://www.amsoil.com/locator/index.aspx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticCarsRock View Post
(Dex VI is not a TES 295 fluid. As far as I know, it is only used in Allison transmissions sold by GM, and Allison does not warranty them--if they fail, it's on GM.) If you look at fluids that are specified as TES 295 compliant, you will see that they are also Dex III compliant, but NOT Dex VI compliant. Allison recommends TES 295 fluid (or Transynd, by the brand name) for extended drain intervals in most if not all of their transmissions.
The TES 295 spec was introduced for severe duty extended drain cycle operation in the Allison transmissions. It was/is a DEX III fluid, but required meeting the higher specs for warranty use on the many commercial applications the transmissions were used for.

Just for clarification, being DEX III compliant in no way suggests that a fluid is TES 295 certified.

I often wonder why the TES 295 spec comes up when suggesting Amsoil, as the Amsoil is not an approved TES 295 fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #11
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SL
1995 SL2

has anyone ever tried b&m trick shift? just curious if its any good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The only thing that belongs in those transmissions is a Dex-3 type of fluid. You get creative and you may destroy the synchro cones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #13
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SL
1995 SL2

why is there some people that say dexron 3 is awful i wouldnt use it and others say you have to use it or itll blow up? the car shifts notchy with dex 3 and with this valvoline import crap that says plain as day is specd for dex 3. sometimes this damn saturn just pisses me off. why cant you just put in what the car says and it works good. i mean people who own hondas put honda fluid in it and its fine my old cavalier same thing some synchromesh and it shifted great. these damn saturns, i own two dont like going into gear. sometimes while stopped you'll go to put in first from a dead stop and it wont go in without force! very annoying when traffic is moving and you are not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quit forcing it into gear, just shift into 2nd and back into 1st.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #15
magtec
Advanced Member

1995 SW2

Quote:
these damn saturns, i own two dont like going into gear. sometimes while stopped you'll go to put in first from a dead stop and it wont go in without force! very annoying when traffic is moving and you are not.
that's not the fluid. it's an issue with the clutch hydraulics and/or the pressure plate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #16
magtec
Advanced Member

1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Quit forcing it into gear, just shift into 2nd and back into 1st.
for what it's worth, that doesn't work with mine when experiencing this problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #17
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SL
1995 SL2

i have 2 saturns that do the exact same thing and ive driven others they are all about the same. mine is a little harder to shift and wot but other than that theyre all the same. also i dont force it most of the time. usually ill fiddle with it and then its fine. funny thing is every soch car ive driven seems to shift a little better than the dohc not sure why. the fluid makes a difference i know that for sure i can tell the difference .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #18
dakota1820
Advanced Member

2002 SL
1995 SL2

pressure plate test shows it to be ok. clutch grabs good . and the fork travel is perfect. not sure of anything else to check

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:46 AM   #19
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Sometimes 3rd to 1st works better.
I've not used anything but the cheap Dex3/Merc stuff Napa sells. One of these days I'll stop at the Diesel shop on my way to work that never has anything smaller then a F650 long frame box truck parked out front and see if they'd sell me a gallon of the Torque-Drive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:05 AM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Transynd is what they sell. It is what is in all of the F350 diesel trucks now as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!