SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
DEugene
DEugene will become famous soon enoughDEugene will become famous soon enough

Dizzy 98 SC 2 front shifting feeling when braking

I have an SC2 with 220,000k on it....in recent years when braking I feel a "shifting" feeling in the front end (basically on the right passenger side)..... I have replaced the brake pads, calibers, rotors, and control arms.....after replacing the control arms the feeling went away for a few months, but now has returned....if I brake slowly it minimizes the shifting feeling, but if I brake hard from a speed over 30 I really feel the shift.....it feels as if something is loose, but I've checked and re-checked all bolts to make sure they are properly tightened and I'm still at a loss to find what the issue is. Any ideas??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DEugene's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DEugene reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: 98 SC 2 front shifting feeling when braking

You indicate this has been going on for y e a r s ??
Is there steering wheel vibration too?
Any abnormal tire wear?

I don't know, but could the shifting feeling be the engine moving forward cause the top motor mount is shot?
Try to see if there is room to insert a pen between the mount's top and the rubber insert inside the mount.
If you can, the mount needs replacing.

All else failing, take to an alignment shop and get it up on their lift.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
DEugene

No, no tire wear, no steering wheel vibration...but I had not thought about the motor mount...thanks....... BINGO.....the rubber on the top motor mount has a crack thru it..... thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DEugene reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

It is also possible for the bushings in the struts to be worn. The only way to check them, that I know of, is to remove the springs and check the struts at maximum extension.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Good find !!

Do a search for an AC Delco top engine mount and it will last a long time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-30-2017, 12:59 AM   #6
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEugene View Post
No, no tire wear, no steering wheel vibration...but I had not thought about the motor mount...thanks....... BINGO.....the rubber on the top motor mount has a crack thru it..... thanks.
www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com

OEM upper engine mounts are still available from GM. They are the BEST replacement. Stay away from China-man junk being sold at AutoZone, Advance, etc.

This is ONE(of many parts), that if you don't pay the extra bucks for Genuine Saturn Parts, you will regret it within the next 12 months

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #7
Medtactics
Medtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Check the front sway bar, had the same feeling and found out what it was when I preformed an emergency-oh-****-stop.

The sway bar ends can pull apart, as they are only pressed in. Fixed mine with a argon welder after hammering the end back into place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
DEugene

When I replaced the control arms the sway bar appeared fine.... the new motor mount solved a few problems but I still have the shifting feeling when braking... it pulls to the left.... I have replaced almost everything, and now looking for other answers. I've checked the other motor/tranny mounts and they were fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #9
Bildo Baggins
Advanced Member
Bildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the roughBildo Baggins is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

I assume when you did CAs that you checked or replaced sway bar bushings as well. It does sound similar to my situation as mentioned by another here. I would get a pull and a shutter on hard brake exiting highway etc.

Mine was the bushing which appeared fine visually but a pry with a bar and pressure off bar showed bushing was pretty much gone inside. Just slapping metal on one side.

I'm sure there are other causes but I'm not familiar with what they may be.

Bill from Extreme Southern North Carolina
'97 Satty SL2
280Kish miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bildo Baggins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bildo Baggins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bildo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
DEugene

Yep, I replaced both control arms, and the bushings on the front of the sway bar....this thing is driving me nuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #11
Medtactics
Medtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the roughMedtactics is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2

Then most likely options are A - low tire pressure. Or B - Tie rods/tie rod ends.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
DEugene

You know, thanks for the tip..... it has been 18 months since I checked the inflation in my tires, and remember that when there is low inflation it pulls to the left quickly and makes a loud popping noise when braking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2017, 08:53 PM   #13
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

That is indeed quite a long time without checking tire air pressure.
How often do you check the less obvious, like oil level?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #14
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Typo. DEugene meant 18 days? (If me, 18 hours )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #15
DEugene

You ought to see how long I go between checking the tranny fluid!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #16
DEugene

Back to being serious here.....the only thing I have not replaced in the front end is the Stuts..... could the pulling and popping noise on braking be that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2017, 08:59 PM   #17
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

If 270,000 miles on the original factory struts, then they are worn out.
I had some with 270k. Once the springs were removed, it became obvious the strut's internal bushings were very worn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!