SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 09-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
Jake371
Jake371 is on a distinguished road

Default How to install aftermarket drive shaft on 2004 Vue 3.5 V6 AWD

So we had our Vue in for warranty work several years ago at Saturn dealer to diagnose and fix a random vibration at light throttle. They never were able to fix it (if anyone has ideas as to what it is, please LMK) after multiple times in for service.

The final time we took it in, they had it for days and we finally told them we needed to pick it up...so we did.

Here's where the story gets "fun." We just learned to live with the issue we took it in for and went on our way. Saturn finally closed up. A couple years later we had the Vue up on a rack and noticed something strange...it took minute and then it sunk in. The Saturn mechanics had removed our AWD drive shaft (apparently as part of the diagnosis, or as a potential solution) AND NEVER REINSTALLED IT!

We've been driving w/o a drive shaft for several years. WTF - The vehicle is in really good shape otherwise, so on to a solution where I need your help.

QUESTIONS: I purchased an assembled and balanced (ready for install) aftermarket driveshaft from GLH through Amazon and it'll be here in a week or so. There are no bolts or other pieces included, and they were not put back in their place on the car either. What do I need to install this other than a torque wrench (what is the torque for each connection too please)?

I'm assuming that I just need 6 bolts for front connection, 2 for middle and 4 for rear. These I can get from Rock Auto or AutoZone (out of stock currently though). However I've seen photos where there's a span washer between each two bolts on the front...please explain?

Are there any other considerations I should be aware of?

Will I need to take it to shop to install, or just to confirm balance after install, or no worries?

Your feedback with photos/video is greatly appreciated. Thx, Jake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 1.09.57 PM.jpg (48.1 KB, 9 views)
Jake371 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
Vue6
Vue6 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: How to install aftermarket drive shaft on 2004 Vue 3.5 V6 AWD

....The only company i would buy from ,when it comes to aftermarket driveshafts , is shaftmasters. It is a night and day diff. compared to the stock piece or anything that looks like it. It uses spicer ujoints , it is thicker, it also uses a slip joint instead of the cv end . Mine came with the bolts, and if there is any issues ,you can send it back and have them fix it or rebalance it , I highly recommend them if you plan on keeping your vue for a while, also with your D.S, you should be able to get grade 8 bolts from any driveshaft rebuilding facility, just my.02,hope that helps,DC.
Vue6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

Grab a used one at junkyard. I found one with a new carrrier bearing. $35 I think?
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:41 PM   #4
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake371 View Post
We've been driving w/o a drive shaft for several years. WTF
So why all of a sudden do you now think you need one? How many miles? Chances are the rear module is toast and it won't do anything anyway.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #5
Jake371
Jake371 is on a distinguished road

Because I live in the midwest and would like to utilize the AWD I purchased the vehicle for. Why would the rear differential be a problem? Changing the fluid should be in order, yes.
Jake371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

They tend to be a weak point on these models.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote