SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2019, 01:51 AM   #1
EdwardRose
EdwardRose is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default 2003 Saturn L300 Tranny error codes

Bought this car 15 months ago. Drove good for about a year and then started having issues. One simple problem was the leaking floor boards were causing humidity of affect the connectors on the BCM behind the glove box. Unplugged the connectors and plugged them back in, and no longer had the "no start" problem and no longer had the "clunky shifting." (It was like the trans was in Safe Mode or something) I put dielectric grease on the connectors and put the glove box back together. Months now, no longer have symptoms above.

Then bought a error code reader and had O2 sensor issues and also codes below. Changed two O2 sensors and now all O2 error codes are gone. But still have trans codes... 1810, 1815 and 0700.

Symptoms: Won't shift into 4th unless I let off the gas a bit. Also sometimes slips in 3rd while getting on highway... like it's in neutral. My current guesses, but haven't done the work yet, are:

Change trans fluid and filter.
Replace Shift Position Sensor switch.
Replace mass air flow sensor.

It should be noted that this car had its transmission changed before I bought it by a non-Dealer mechanic. The man who owned the car bought a junked Saturn L300 to obtain the transmission... which was in good shape as far as he could tell. But after seeing many YT videos for trans fluid changes, it's possible that the non-dealer mechanic just put a recommended amount of fluid in and never did the "flowing out of plug" check for the proper level.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edward Rose

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EdwardRose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EdwardRose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
EdwardRose is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2019, 04:45 AM   #2
EdwardRose

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Saturn L300 Tranny error codes

By the way, I already changed the Crank Position Sensor, as a couple of threads here stated that might be the problem. Also replaced the air intake filter near the MAF sensor and replaced the fuel filter. Also just put in new spark plugs. Through all of that... from the O2 sensors to the spark plugs, my milage went up from 19/20, to a solid 22, and now 24 after changing the plugs. (I drive the same routes every week... 1/2 highway and 1/2 in town)

Edward Rose

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help EdwardRose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

From the service manual;

When the TCM detects an invalid gear range, DTC P1810 sets. DTC P1810 is a type B DTC.

When the TCM detects a gear range other than PARK/NEUTRAL indicated at start-up, DTC P1815 sets. DTC P1815 is a type B DTC.

Initial procedures are to check xmission fluid levels. A plug on the xmission is removed - on a level surface or lift, oil level should be level with the plug hole. Excess oil will flow out until level with this hole. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151009

If fluid level is ok, next steps are to check the xmission range switch then the automatic transmission inline 20-Way Connector.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
EdwardRose

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thanks fdryer. This service manual you speak of, is it different than the thick book that comes in the glove box of a new car? I do have that, by the way. If not, can I get a copy of the service manual... a PDF maybe?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The glove box in every car, truck and suv are owner's manuals to help owners become familiar with a vehicle, suggest maintenance intervals, describe warranty, etc. Service manuals are too large to fit into glove boxes and are written for dealer service people to help them with everything required to service and repair a vehicle in or out of warranty. Service manuals are bought from a dealer, ordered thru the mail or online. Also called field/factory service manuals, FSM. They were once soft covered single editions years ago and much more illustrated with engineering drawings, black and white photos as well as line drawings. No more. Crude drawings and in several large bindings. My last purchase was for my L300, $145 for four plastic binders (each at least 5 inches thick) when they were still available. The best recommendation I can make to anyone interested in service manuals is either eBay for new/used sets or subscribe to either Alldata or Mitchell online. The latter two provide similar service manuals second to none.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:15 AM   #6
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough02 LW300 is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The tcm is also back behind the glove box on your L300. If you had moisture issues with your bcm you probably have them with the tcm. Follow the harness that runs back under the black plastic cover under the hood below the wipers on the passenger side. There is a black steel cover that opens to the interior and the tcm is in there.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:36 AM   #7
EdwardRose

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thanks fdryer. I will make an effort to obtain that manual.

02 LW300,

Thank you for that. I was wondering where the ECM is. I live in Southwest Florida, so yeah, probably moisture issues anywhere they can possibly happen, lol. When I put new tires on this car the day I bought it, the mechanic told me there is a lot of rust under the car from being up north apparently. But no issues associated with the rust. Other than the rear suspension being a little bit squeaky when the weather is very dry... like this time of year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-19-2019, 03:35 AM   #8
EdwardRose

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Just bought four car jacks. The transmission fluid filter, the gasket, an oil filter and all fluids. (I happen to need an oil change too) I'll post pictures.

(Can someone with 15 posts or more post the YouTube video with this code ryOfdzpefwI
Total props for the woman who made this video that illustrates what I have to do)

Last edited by EdwardRose; 02-19-2019 at 03:44 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!