SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #1
JF01saturn
JF01saturn is on a distinguished road

Default Idle questions/ gas mileage

2001 Saturn SW2 DOHC. What should the idle rpm be at temp? With and w/o ac on? Where should the temp gauge be at fulll temp? Mine is just hardly above the 1/4 mark.

I believe I have a TPS issue. When I come out of a shift and push in the clutch the idle hangs for a bit at about 1300-1500 then it comes down to about 900-1000. Also the idle has ďstuckĒ before at about 2000 RPMs and doesnít want to come down. Shut it off and restart and it seems okay. So Iím thinking itís TPS. I have one on the way to replace anyways.

Also am getting horrible MPG. 22 with a lot of city driving. I deliver pizzas, great college job. I have new NGK plugs on the way, I checked the throttle body and it was clean and the air filter was clean. Thinking of putting in a new stat as well. I bought the car last week. 90k original miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JF01saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JF01saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JF01saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2
Default Re: Idle questions/ gas mileage

My 2002 SL2 I acquired a few weeks ago, the last fillup was 20 mpg. probably 50/ 50 city/ hwy with quite a bit of idling trying to diagnose/ fix issues.

Does gasoline have summer / winter fuel? I am new to gasoline vehicles, been all diesels last 30 years. Winter diesel fuel in cold climates have less BTU's due to being diluted with Kerosene.

1/28/2019 2002 SL2 w 62k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silverblu02SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silverblu02SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Stuck high idle that returns on restart indicates a tps or the connector. If the rpm comes back down on its own itís not the tps.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:32 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Being on a budget while in college may mean short cutting needed maintenance. As a new member and maybe unfamiliar with wading thru thousands of threads to answer your questions, either read the first stickies in either the S-series general or tech forums for a short list of possibilities and real answers beyond second guessing and throwing money at unneeded parts or perform some simple procedures. The two main parts at the top of the list of must do's are the engine coolant temperature sensor and thermostat. Images below.

Remove (unless you can see which sensor is in your engine) the coolant sensor and examine it. All original sensors are plastic round nose design, cracking and sending incorrect (most often freezing temperature) signals to the pcm. The pcm in turn, runs the engine rich, sometimes flooding on startup with the temperature displaying false temps (incorrect signals sent to the pcm, pcm displays incorrect temps). The engine never runs right and as a bonus, melts the rubber seal on the t-stat. Once melted, the t-stat can't operate as coolant leaks past. Another insult to EFI systems is the engine overheats in summer weather because the faulty coolant sensor never senses coolant temps so the pcm never turns on the cooling fan. The melted t-stat seal is one example from one member with the same issues. Replacing the coolant sensor with a flat nosed brass one cures one major problem while replacing the t-stat (if its seal melted) cures another problem.

My guess is this isn't a tps issue. If you choose to wade thru forum threads, you'll see repeated issues from the faulty coolant sensor causing many problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plastic-brass cts.jpg (82.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg t-stat 1.jpg (119.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by fdryer; 02-12-2019 at 07:38 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
JF01saturn

I already replaced the engine temp sensor this morning. Iíll replace the thermostat later this week and inspect the old one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JF01saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2019, 09:44 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ask around to borrow a reader or stop by Autozone for a free reading. A reader will display coolant temps and a fully warmed engine should be between 185F-195F. A thermometer can be inserted into the coolant container too. Presuming the replacement coolant sensor is the flat nosed brass one then the t-stat may be running cooler than normal. A reader monitoring cold engine startup should show ambient temps. The air intake temperature sensor can be used for comparison with both outputs (cold engine, ign on) within a few degrees of each other. As the engine warms up, the display should show rising coolant temps until the engine is fully warmed up.

Cold engine running will idle around 1200 rpm and gradually drop back to normal warm idle between 650-850 rpm. The coolant sensor is among other sensors that allows the pcm to adjust idle rpm throughout every mode - subfreezing startups, warm up, normal idle, ac compressor and electrical loads straining the alternator that loads the engine. The xmission torque converter and gears also places loads on the engine. The pcm detects loads from the map sensor and crank sensor (speed signal) to automatically adjust for loads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:34 PM   #7
JF01saturn

I have a reader Iíll give that a shot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2019, 11:40 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The best tool in the world for post 1996 vehicles with OBD II, a reader.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #9
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

The other related point of failure is when the ECTS connector has been fouled due to the cracked sensor allowing coolant to leak through the connection. When this happens it is recommended to replace the connector making sure to solder and shrink tube the wires rather than crimp connecting. Crimp connections are a point of failure on this circuit too.

To test the thermostat without removal, start your car from a cold engine and put your hand on the lower radiator hose just after the thermostat. If it gets warm within a couple minutes then your thermostat is leaking. The thermostat does not open until the coolant temperature is about 188 F.

2001 SL1 MT (428,500 km @ 01/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (272,500 km @ 01/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (120,506 km @ 01/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Since this is a new to you car, you may have more than one issue going on.

ECTS/connector could be causing some of your issues, TPS another issue.

Aftermarket TPS tend to be hit and miss. I replaced my TPS a few months ago with a new aftermarket TPS to fix a high idle issue. Worked great for about 60 days and issue returned.

I sent the TPS back for warranty, but in the meantime, I went to a JY and pulled an OEM TPS. That has been working well for about two weeks.

It's weird but I noticed the OEM ones have a small dab of yellow paint on the tab.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:14 PM   #11
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF01saturn View Post
I already replaced the engine temp sensor this morning. Iíll replace the thermostat later this week and inspect the old one.
Replace the TPS, with a unit from a JY. Aftermarket TPS sensors are terrible and have very high out-of-box failure rates.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote