SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2019, 07:55 PM   #1
joshjani
joshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura aboutjoshjani has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Water Leak in VUE- Likely culprit?

Lots of wintry mix rain in suburban Philadelphia today, and when I got in my 2005 VUE I was distressed to find quite a bit of water dripping from the front of the headliner. The passenger side pillar and roof upholstery was very wet, actually could see dripping water.

My first thought was clogged sunroof drains, but when I opened the sunroof the little moat redirecting the water seems fine. Just to be sure, I took a thin fiberglass wire and pushed it in and out of what I think are the drain holes.

I do notice that my top windshield seal seems brittle- not soft or rubbery as I'd expect, and there are two little notches broken out.

Additionally, I have a roof rack on the black plastic roof rails bolted to the roof. I have seen other SUVs- namely the Ford Escape- that have had issues where water got under the roof rack and rotted a hole.

These are all things I can check when the weather permits, and for right now I'm just trying to dry things out with a fan and heater.

Looking for anyone with experience with a roof/windshield/other leak and what was the culprit, what was the solution. Thanks for any advice!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joshjani's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joshjani reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joshjani is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2019, 11:22 PM   #2
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Default Re: Water Leak in VUE- Likely culprit?

Check the rubber seals in the door opening.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Water Leak in VUE- Likely culprit?

My 2006 had problems with leaks. We tracked the first set to the sunroof drains. We saw water in the leading edge of the headliner, the lights over the windshield and of course on the floor. In addition, the speedometer and tach didn't work as water had gotten into the electrics for the dash. That was supposedly fixed with clearing out the drains and replacing the seal around the sunroof. They also replaced the lights over the windshield.

Fast forward to last year, found the front foot wells full of water (shop vac'd about 5-6 gallons out). Water had come in through the sunroof drains again. When they opened up the A-pilars, it was discovered the drain lines did not go all the way to their exit points, so any water being drained went into the car instead of out the drains. This time we went with the draconian fix of disabling the sunroof and sealing it shut. We could count on one hand the number of times we opened it here in southern Arizona.

Windshield and roof rack are also good places to look. If your windshield has never been replaced then that may be the culprit. Mine never had a chance to dry out as my 2006 is on its 5th windshield. Glad we have full glass coverage.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote