SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 06-22-2020, 06:48 AM   #41
rochvids
rochvids is a jewel in the roughrochvids is a jewel in the roughrochvids is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Aura won't crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
First thing that jumps out at me is how the starter works when you jumper wire it...
You may have more than one problem.
The starter should crank like crazy when you jump it. What I hear in your sound file is either a dead battery, a corroded or loose connection between the + wire on the battery and the starter, a bad solenoid/starter or a seized engine that the starter can't turn.
I think before you proceed further you need to ensure the starter is working correctly.
Check/clean/tighten the battery/starter connections first.
Check/clean/tighten the ground cable from the battery and the block.
Make sure the starter is bolted securely to the engine block since that's where it gets it's ground.
If you can, Measure the battery voltage at rest and while it is being cranked so we can see the voltage drop.
You could remove the starter and test it with booster cables connected to the battery. (be careful not to short the cables and have your foot on the starter, it will jump)
Thank you for the quick reply!

I will measure the battery before and as I crank it and will post back the numbers.

I have good connection from and to the battery terminals. I checked every single wire that connects to it and made sure there is no break in between and there is no corrosion. What I have not checked is the starter and its connection. I will check it out and let you know of any findings.

I was reading about how BCM failure can lead to starting issues. I'm still trying to make a connection to this no-crank mystery and the symptoms it had before I turned it off. It seemed to have electric issues, it ran very rough and it threw some lights on the dash and the radio did not work for a little while. I know there is a recall on these BCMs. The connection gets corroded and needs to be cleaned with electric grease applied, which I had the dealer do at the time under the recall. If the starter works fine, is it possible that the BCM could be the culprit?
rochvids is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2020, 07:13 AM   #42
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

A failed BCM could cause your issue but it wouldn't stop the starter from cranking the engine with a jumper.
I had a no-crank issue similar to yours, one of seven wires on a ground lug attached to the block was the ground for the neutral switch. It caused the engine control module to think the car was in gear so it would not allow the engine to crank.
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #43
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

I recorded audio of what you should hear when activating the jumper wire at fuse box...
With the key off (engine should crank like crazy)
https://sndup.net/8rkg
and with the key on (car will start if capable)
https://sndup.net/42tj

Last edited by imaddicted2u; 06-22-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #44
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

rochvids, in post #39, your short video (presuming several ignition on/start cycles) appears to show the instrument panel going dark as you turn the ign key to START? If correct, this may simply be a dead battery. If the car battery is near the end of its warranty, either bring it to auto stores for free testing or try a boost from another car battery. Battery voltage can be deceiving. In general, if battery voltage drops below 10 vdc while starting or ignition switch held in START position the battery and/or battery cables are faulty.

I recently replaced my battery after 5 yrs of service. It carried a 5 yr warranty. Last winter the battery died several times and I suspected it was at its end of life. I plugged in a trickle charger (<2 amps for safe slow charging) in freezing temps to get thru the winter. Battery voltage was below 12.5v when it wouldn't start the engine. When spring temps came, battery voltage was around 12.5-13 vdc. AutoZone tested it - failed. Warm weather would allow this battery to probably go all summer and fall but most likely not winter so I replaced the battery. My car is 17 yrs old. When removing the two battery cable side terminal rubber covers, battery wires are still pristine with zero corrosion. Bright shiny copper wire ends. Good indication of three previous batteries not leaking acids from damaged over tightened side terminal bolts. However, battery venting did corrode the battery tray as a solution of water and baking soda bubbles up immediately when cleaning the tray. Bubbling is the chemical reaction between dried sulfuric battery acid and baking soda solution as it neutralizes the dried acid for a water rinse.

A boost from another car battery or portable boost pack should show one of two results. Either the engine starts up or not. If the engine starts up, this tends to eliminate battery cable connections, corrosion and electronics but points to the battery as faulty. Most dead batteries still retains some charge to help with the booster battery to start the engine but on its own won't have enough juice for starting. Battery voltage dropping below 10v while starting indicates one dead cell (out of six). All six cells must maintain voltages together. One cell dying prevents a battery from performing especially during starting as the highest amperage is drawn for starter use (75-200 amps). Most stores selling car batteries use good battery testers by placing a load on the battery for a set time (10-30 seconds) then display battery condition.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #45
rochvids
rochvids is a jewel in the roughrochvids is a jewel in the roughrochvids is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
A failed BCM could cause your issue but it wouldn't stop the starter from cranking the engine with a jumper.
I had a no-crank issue similar to yours, one of seven wires on a ground lug attached to the block was the ground for the neutral switch. It caused the engine control module to think the car was in gear so it would not allow the engine to crank.
I remember reading your post about the corroded cable, which I checked. I replaced it with new one and I even replaced all the ground cables that are attached to the chassis.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:16 PM   #46
rochvids

Quote:
I recorded audio of what you should hear when activating the jumper wire at fuse box...
With the key off (engine should crank like crazy)
https://sndup.net/8rkg
and with the key on (car will start if capable)
https://sndup.net/42tj

Thank you for the recordings!
Question: if I get mine to crank like yours with the jumper wire, where would the problem be then?
Old 06-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #47
rochvids

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
rochvids, in post #39, your short video (presuming several ignition on/start cycles) appears to show the instrument panel going dark as you turn the ign key to START? If correct, this may simply be a dead battery. If the car battery is near the end of its warranty, either bring it to auto stores for free testing or try a boost from another car battery. Battery voltage can be deceiving. In general, if battery voltage drops below 10 vdc while starting or ignition switch held in START position the battery and/or battery cables are faulty.

I recently replaced my battery after 5 yrs of service. It carried a 5 yr warranty. Last winter the battery died several times and I suspected it was at its end of life. I plugged in a trickle charger (<2 amps for safe slow charging) in freezing temps to get thru the winter. Battery voltage was below 12.5v when it wouldn't start the engine. When spring temps came, battery voltage was around 12.5-13 vdc. AutoZone tested it - failed. Warm weather would allow this battery to probably go all summer and fall but most likely not winter so I replaced the battery. My car is 17 yrs old. When removing the two battery cable side terminal rubber covers, battery wires are still pristine with zero corrosion. Bright shiny copper wire ends. Good indication of three previous batteries not leaking acids from damaged over tightened side terminal bolts. However, battery venting did corrode the battery tray as a solution of water and baking soda bubbles up immediately when cleaning the tray. Bubbling is the chemical reaction between dried sulfuric battery acid and baking soda solution as it neutralizes the dried acid for a water rinse.

A boost from another car battery or portable boost pack should show one of two results. Either the engine starts up or not. If the engine starts up, this tends to eliminate battery cable connections, corrosion and electronics but points to the battery as faulty. Most dead batteries still retains some charge to help with the booster battery to start the engine but on its own won't have enough juice for starting. Battery voltage dropping below 10v while starting indicates one dead cell (out of six). All six cells must maintain voltages together. One cell dying prevents a battery from performing especially during starting as the highest amperage is drawn for starter use (75-200 amps). Most stores selling car batteries use good battery testers by placing a load on the battery for a set time (10-30 seconds) then display battery condition.
I will check the voltage drop as I crank it, although I am sure the battery is fine. I know that because it's a new battery, fully charged and it has new cables. The interior lights and headlights are bright, so it should at least try to crank it even for a second. The problem is when I try to start it, the starter receives 0 voltage. If it was the battery, which is at 12.5V right now, I should see some power going to the starter.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:31 PM   #48
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochvids View Post
Thank you for the recordings!
Question: if I get mine to crank like yours with the jumper wire, where would the problem be then?
I would figure out why the engine doesn't roll over by jumpering at the fuse box with the key off first. Obviously it tries. Once that's working correctly move on to jumpering with the key on to see if it starts and runs. A good starter, battery and starter to battery wiring should spin it fast as you heard in my audio clip.
To rule out a bad solenoid internal contact without removing the starter, with the key off, jump across the two large studs on the starter solenoid. Use something heavy to complete the circuit as there will be a large current draw. If it spins over this way you probably have a bad solenoid. If it doesn't the wire coming down from the battery could have high resistance, the starter motor could be bad or the engine could be seized so the starter can't turn it.

As far as the dash going dark when attempting to crank, that's normal as covered previously in the thread.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:49 PM   #49
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

@rochvids back on post #17 you said, "I did as imaddicted2u said and the starter was cranking as I was touching the positive terminal of the battery."
Since it's not doing that now...You should confirm that the battery is still fully charged or what may have changed since then.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #50
rochvids

Quote:
I would figure out why the engine doesn't roll over by jumpering at the fuse box with the key off first. Obviously it tries. Once that's working correctly move on to jumpering with the key on to see if it starts and runs. A good starter, battery and starter to battery wiring should spin it fast as you heard in my audio clip.
To rule out a bad solenoid internal contact without removing the starter, with the key off, jump across the two large studs on the starter solenoid. Use something heavy to complete the circuit as there will be a large current draw. If it spins over this way you probably have a bad solenoid. If it doesn't the wire coming down from the battery could have high resistance, the starter motor could be bad or the engine could be seized so the starter can't turn it.

As far as the dash going dark when attempting to crank, that's normal as covered previously in the thread.
Thank you for the extra info, really helpful!

This evening, the battery was at 12.3 V as I killed some voltage yesterday when I was trying to crank it yesterday. I used jumper cables from my other car, and started the jump-start procedure as you showed me while the other car is running. I wanted to make sure I had juice continuously. I noticed a huge voltage drop while it was trying to crank. It went down to ~5V! I had the cables connected to the battery of the running car, how is this possible?

Also, at one point, the car went completely dead, then only the Passlock light went on. I did the relearn, but did not work. I disconnected the cables and reconnected them, then I got the lights back on the dash and Passlock is gone. Now back to square one.

I was going to connect the battery from my other car directly, but I don't want to drain it.

I will make sure the starter works. Also, I will locate the crankshaft so I can manually turn the engine to make sure it's not seized.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #51
rochvids

Quote:
@rochvids back on post #17 you said, "I did as imaddicted2u said and the starter was cranking as I was touching the positive terminal of the battery."
Since it's not doing that now...You should confirm that the battery is still fully charged or what may have changed since then.
The cranking was what you heard. I should have elaborated on that. At the time, the "cranking" was a sign that the starter solenoid was not receiving juice when I tried to crank the engine from the ignition.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:19 PM   #52
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

That's a huge voltage drop. Hopefully it's caused by a bad starter and not a seized engine.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #53
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Would be a good idea to take the tension off the serpentine drive belt and try to crank it again, in case something it drives is seized up.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #54
rochvids

Quote:
That's a huge voltage drop. Hopefully it's caused by a bad starter and not a seized engine.
I wanted to add this piece of information if I didn't. Before it died, the windows would not go down and the radio suddenly stopped working. It was definitely an electrical problem that is very likely the BCM. It was running rough and at one point, it died. I tried to restart it, it took a few cranks but it eventually did. Then I drove it for a few miles, stopped at a store for about an hour, went back in to start it, but would not crank as I'm experiencing right now.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:38 PM   #55
rochvids

Quote:
Would be a good idea to take the tension off the serpentine drive belt and try to crank it again, in case something it drives is seized up.
Good thinking! Will do.

I will also remove the spark plugs.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #56
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

The crank pulley is the one with the arrow..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aura 2.4 drive belt.jpg (19.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-22-2020, 09:57 PM   #57
rochvids

Quote:
The crank pulley is the one with the arrow..
I was just going to ask, especially the direction as I wasn't sure if it's clockwise or counterclockwise.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:44 PM   #58
rochvids

I am picking up more tools tomorrow.
I will post back about the engine and the starter.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:09 AM   #59
rochvids

Check engine went on and off. When I scanned it, I got U0100 Lost Communication With ECM/PCM A
Old 06-23-2020, 12:31 AM   #60
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochvids View Post
I will check the voltage drop as I crank it, although I am sure the battery is fine. I know that because it's a new battery, fully charged and it has new cables. The interior lights and headlights are bright, so it should at least try to crank it even for a second. The problem is when I try to start it, the starter receives 0 voltage. If it was the battery, which is at 12.5V right now, I should see some power going to the starter.
Your only hint of a new battery was this post. The only other hint was made back in post#9, stating it as 100%. Without stating from the beginning of new battery and cables, I may be the only one to dwell on what I thought as an old battery.

Your radio isn't run by the bcm despite your suspicions of a bcm problem. Whether or not the bcm failed remains to be diagnosed. Bcm diagnosing and troubleshooting can be difficult unless your familiar with electronics, have wiring diagrams and technical info from service manuals. I'm suspecting something with main power connections between battery and main/secondary fuse panels and main grounds. Since battery positive feeds to the starter, engine fuse panel and cabin fuse panel(s), this might be worth examining. Two main grounds from battery are to chassis next to the battery and another ground wire to the engine block.

While the starter does run when bypassing electronics, all this does is verify two main power connections - battery positive to starter and negative cables to chassis and engine block. Nothing more can be assumed. I suspect main power and distribution because your video shows the instrument panel lights dropping dead when ignition is turned to START. Usually when this occurs, the battery and cables are the first things to check because the starter draws the most current (the reason lights dim on starting). While almost all instrument panel indicators and gauges are driven by the bcm, the airbag and abs indicators are driven by their own modules. Losing power to the instrument panel cluster (IPC) to me still points to a major power and/or power distribution problem. With new battery and cables, perhaps examining where these cables connects to may reveal corrosion that hides in plain sight. Other secondary grounds for electronics are made up of ground splice packs where several ground wires are terminated onto a terminal strip covered in black plastic with one large ring terminal connecting to a chassis stud and nut. An excellent example of how ground splice packs can hide corrosion; one severely corroded ground wire among several in a ground splice pack prevented a fuel pump from running after extended posts. This has occurred several times in the S-series cars. All other ground wires on the same terminal strip were fine - rear trunk ground wires for brake, stop lights, etc.

If your car is in the salt belt region, connection corrosion may be an issue. It would be great if you had a subscription to alldata.diy or Mitchell for online access to service manuals. Perhaps a member has access and post more info.

Your last post about U0100 may be false with this problem.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote