SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
dp97sc2
dp97sc2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default opinion on 94 sl 1

Ok,
take a minute and read my story. My gf has a 93 cutlass ciera s. Its big with v6. It has 97k miles. Body and interior in good shape. It has 3 problems:
1. fuel econ is not so great in city - 18mpg (hwy ok @ 30mpg)
2. runs kinda rough at low speed & idle Im thinking it might need a tune up.
3. weird brake problem - going down hill it makes a noise(clunking coming from driver rear), pedal feels soft, the body feels like it dips a few inches, braking takes longer.
where saturn comes in, shes thinking about getting rid of it to get a saturn because:
1. will get better fuel econ (this can be a big savings over time)
2. I know a few things about them and can help her with problems

SO we found the following (when driving thru a walmart parking lot)
1994 sl1 5 speed with 170000 miles
-tan color (a few scratches and dents in the rear)
-interior dirty.
-5 speed looks like it was pried up (on the right rear corner) don't know why
-the guy who bought it claims he buys cars to fix them up and sell them for $
-the guy who bought it didn't sound like he knows what he's doing, and has no knowledge of saturns.
-the guy who bought it sounds VERY unrealistic in his expectation as to what kind of $ he can get out of a car with this age, mileage, and condition.
-he was originally listing it for $2000. if it had 8000 miles and was in good condition I would tend to agree, but not $2000 in the condition I described.
-I went on to ask him if he's replaced the starter, alternator, ects, thermostat, coolant, ps fluid, trans fluid, as part of his prep for sale....he hesitated and said ummmm no!
-I asked him if it uses oil as this is very common, he said....ummmm I don't drive it I don't know
-he said he is firm @ 1,500 as he has put in more than 1,000 himself.
-I wished him luck and to let me know if he becomes less firm.

-My thinking is this car is worth $500-$800 tops. What do you all think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dp97sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dp97sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dp97sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2005, 07:03 PM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Default Re: opinion on 94 sl 1

Yup. I'd do the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

If he's actually driven it 1000 miles he should know whether it uses oil or not.
Sounds shady. Stay away from "curb stoners" like this one. 500 to 1500 will likely net you $2000 in trouble and this guy will disappear. That is, until he finds another poor critter he picked up from the junk yard for a few bucks [or from one of those "charity donation" sites], gets it running, pours 3 cans of STP into the crank case and he's back in business as a so called "private party seller". You already sense what you're dealing with.
Get the Olds a tune up, a check up, maybe some new struts and shocks for the same cash and you'll still have money left over for gas.
Of course if you're doing it to get the car out of this horrible situation, offer him 500.00 and give it a good home.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 07:06 AM   #4
dp97sc2

1997 SC2

citation,
no NOT 1000 miles he put in $1000 bucks into the car. He claims he hasn't drove it. I still stick with my impression that given the situation Im presented with (age, milage, condition of car, option, weirdness of guy tryin to sell it off so quick when it was registered only a few months ago) its only worth $500. A FINAL QUESTION: are there a lot of dumb people out there willing to spend $1500 on a fair car with 170k miles?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dp97sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-28-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I paid 1700 Canadian for my 95 SL1 at an auction. It had 250000km and has been great...no major problems

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
dp97sc2

1997 SC2

itsme,
if I've converted right , thats roughly 1200 usd, and 113,000 miles. Tell me how long have you had it, how many kms have you drove it and how are you liking it (things going good, vs. things not).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2005, 06:34 PM   #7
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I have had it a little over 2 years. I have no clue what was done to it before I purchased it. I have put an alternator on it muffler, timing chain,plugs, wifes, egr...it needs a new fromt pipe, front brakes and a valve cover gasket. it has been reall goo to me over the 40,000 km I have put on it....but remember it all depends on the car....just because some have a good one dosent mean you wont get a lemon. You have to watch out who you purchase it from...If they dont know anything about it....dont get it.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 08:18 PM   #8
BullyCanadian
BullyCanadian has a spectacular aura aboutBullyCanadian has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp97sc2
itsme,
if I've converted right , thats roughly 1200 usd, and 113,000 miles. Tell me how long have you had it, how many kms have you drove it and how are you liking it (things going good, vs. things not).
actually thats roughly 155k MILES (250K Km's)

1992 Saturn SL2 has been sold as of June 2007...
2003 4.6L v8 Mustang 5speed Sold as of March 2014...
Daily Driver ... 2003 i4 5speed Vue
Mileage Currently @ (09/30/2014) 268,000 km (166,500 mi)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BullyCanadian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BullyCanadian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BullyCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote