saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
84conv
84conv has a spectacular aura about84conv has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Power Steering pump question

Time to replace the PS pump on my 98 SL2 (388,000 MILES). I am getting the pump off a donor car and can take as much as I want off it. Is it easier to disconnect the lines at the rack or do I have to pull the pulley off and disconnect them on the pump? Or can I get at the nut on the pump without pulling the pulley off? I watched Richpins video and it looks like I have to pull the pulley to get at the line.

Thanks,

John
84conv is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Power Steering pump question

Disconnect at the rack. Use a a tubing wrench and clamp it closed on the nut with a pair of vice grips and then strike it a sharp blow and thy come loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84conv View Post
Time to replace the PS pump on my 98 SL2 (388,000 MILES). I am getting the pump off a donor car and can take as much as I want off it. Is it easier to disconnect the lines at the rack or do I have to pull the pulley off and disconnect them on the pump? Or can I get at the nut on the pump without pulling the pulley off? I watched Richpins video and it looks like I have to pull the pulley to get at the line.

Thanks,

John
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

IIRC, the biggest hassle is getting all 5 bolts off of the pump through the hole in the pulley? But yeah, as long as you're getting it off a donor I'd disconnect at the rack and then use the best looking hoses on the reassemble.
1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

I've actually found it's easy to remove neither the pulley or the lines at the rack. Just unbolt the entire pump with the pulley still intact, and once unbolted you can easily get to the lines and remove them from the pump.

Just undo the tab that holds the lines before you unbolt the pump. Follow the lines down about half way to the rack, under the intake manifold. There should be a metal tab that keeps the lines secure. Bend it open so the lines can slip out, and there is plenty of slack to work on them with the pump removed.

I agree with off-track that messing with the bolts through the pulley is a hassle. If you have the right sized bolt and washer you can remove the pulley once the pump is off, and then press it back on after the fact. I did this on mine using the pulley "installer" bolt and washer that came with my pump. That way it's easy to see the bolts when you put the pump back on. IIRC the install bolt was a little too long, so I trimmed it to allow the pulley to be installed once bolted up.
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

I just changed my pump not too long ago. The FSM says to remove the hoses from the rack first. Furthermore, IMO it was impossible remove the hoses from the pump first. There's just simply not enough space or slack in the hose and the EVO is in the way. The EVO is expensive to replace so you don't want to break it in the process.

Make sure you remember which hose goes to what port on the rack. The fittings are the same on both hoses so you can install them backwards. The hex size for both hoses is 16mm at the rack end and the pressure hose is 18mm at the pump end. I would strongly recommend purchasing an 16mm flare nut wrench if you don't already have one. There isn't much space to work with so you really don't want to risk rounding the nut with a regular wrench. With that said the torque spec for them is only 20 ft-Ibs so they shouldn't be on too tight.

Oh and also, I must note that in my case the new pump did not come with all of the correct O-rings for the EVO. Only two of the three o-Rings were the correct size so I ended up having to re-use the middle one. The middle one is supposed to be slightly smaller than the largest one, but the pump came with two of the larger ones that were the same size.
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 183K miles *gone*
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 196K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 53K miles
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The reason for removing the hoses at the rack is as you say, there is minimal room to work on the fittings at the pump. These are flare fittings and even at 20ft-lb they are quite tight and the fitting nut is soft, this is a combination that can lead to difficulty removing them. Even if you cut the hoses removal from the pump is much simpler when it is on the bench and not in the car.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
84conv

2004 VUE 2.2L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Did the job today. Went over to my brother's house and got the pump off the donor car in about 1/2 hour. I just cut the lines as the TAM was already removed. On the good car I could not get the pressure line off the rack and I did not want to break it. I was trying to do this so I could avoid getting a pulley puller. I had to get one as there is NO way to remove pressure line with the Pulley on and connected to the car. The BIGGEST pain for me was getting the electrical connector back on. Well it was all for nothing because I still have the same noise comming from the front part of the motor (Scraping-bad bearing sound). Already replaced the idler and PS pump. Tomorrow I will start it with the belt off and see if it is still there (Hope NOT).
Old 02-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Check the alternator.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
84conv

2004 VUE 2.2L
2006 VUE 3.5L

Pulled the Belt off this morning and checked alternator pulley. Turned very hard, Started car with no belt and no noise. Replaced alternator today it's all GOOD. Sometimes the obvious is staring you in the face as I checked all pulleys excepyt the alt.....DUH

Thanks to all that replied and double thanks to oldNuc
Old 02-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

When the front bearing goes on the alternator the rotor drags on the stator and makes an incredible amount of noise, much more than a PS pump can make.

Its all fixed now and you have a spare good PS pump!