SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
1995sl1sohc
Advanced Member
1995sl1sohc is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
1993 SL1
Default Is the trans shot?

Alrighty guys, 1995 SL1 SOHC A/T. I was at a stop sign and I was taking off nice and easy and I was about to hit third gear when the car started shaking/nosediving as if I'd hit the brake. It then set 3 transmission trouble codes: 23, 24, 72. 23 being no 3rd gear and 24 being no 4th gear and who knows what 72 is, it's not listed in the haynes manual.

So is the transmission toast? Fluid has under 20k on it and the fluid level is fine. I will check the electrical system, and the transmission fuses etc. but am wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing or knows for sure what those codes mean. Clutchpaks leaking maybe?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1995sl1sohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1995sl1sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1995sl1sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
1995sl1sohc
Advanced Member

1995 SL1
1993 SL1
Default Re: Is the trans shot?

Well the fuses and the charging system checked out fine.
I have like 2 valve bodies kickin' around that I know still work pretty good and I think I am going to swap one in just to see if it'll do anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 1995sl1sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
1995sl1sohc
Advanced Member

1995 SL1
1993 SL1

lol, sorry I am moving at a fast pace and am more of less thinking out loud on the forum, but bear with me.
I was going to pull it in to the garage to swap valvebodies when I was like let's see if it fixed itself in the 15 minutes I let it sit. So I got it on the road and let it have it shifted through 1-4 without a problem. It shifted flawlessly through gears 10 times. So I don't think a clutchpak is leaking.
The problem is apparently intermittent which is going to make it a little bugger to properly diagnose. I am thinking it has to be electrical with how it suddenly came and went away. I just don't know where to start looking, the temp sensor, VSS sensor, valvebody wiring harness, test the VB solenoids and see if they are good electrically. Make sure all the grounds are clean and free of corossion. Anything else I should be looking at?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

72 Engine Cooling System - Temperature Low.

Sounds a lot like an electrical problem. Maybe an intermittent ground somewhere in the transmission-related circuits.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
1995sl1sohc
Advanced Member

1995 SL1
1993 SL1

The 72 was blinked on the coolant light with the other trans codes. I found another book that listed all the trouble codes and 72 is a 2nd line shorted code. So I guess I should definately be checking wiring and grounds for the trans circuits. Anyone know what exactly the 2nd line is by chance?

There is the ground near the starter, then the ones where the engine/trans bolts are, and one by the battery, any others I should be going over?

Last edited by 1995sl1sohc; 02-11-2009 at 06:53 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
1995sl1sohc
Advanced Member

1995 SL1
1993 SL1

Well the solenoids tested fine, the VB connector was free of fluid and corrosion. I undid the grounds didn't see anything wrong with them but cleaned up the bolts, eyelets, block, and reattached them. It is running fine for now, we'll see how long that lasts.
I am getting pretty sick of these auto trannies it might be time to start looking for a newer car with a blown engine and a 5 speed for cheap and just throw my rebuilt engine and a new clutch in it and call it good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
skii33
skii33 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

I fixed a buddys car that had a bunch of codes (i dont remember which ones )It locked in 4th gear similar to what may have happened to yours. If it acts up again check all the trans fuses in the under hood fuse box right away. If some of them dont have power going to them , check to see if the dome light is working (bear with me) it may be related. Check all fuses inside car next to passengers left foot, I think the fuse that wasn't recieving power on this car was a 10 amp body fuse? Any how to make a long story short after about 4 hrs of tracing wires and such i found on the back side of the inside fuse box (Accesed from the drivers side) that a red wire that fed the body fuse was loose , as in the female spade connector was getting hot and when it did no contact. I removed a bolt on the back side of this fuse box which let me pull out a whole cluster of wires from the back side of fuse box and that is when i could see the dicolored wire connector.....HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE and hopefully will help. glenn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to skii33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help skii33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
skii33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
1995sl1sohc
Advanced Member

1995 SL1
1993 SL1

Thanks for the info! I'll take a peak at that this weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
skii33

1995 SL2

I just went out to my car and confirmed the fuse inside the car is # 15 body fuse . When i pulled it the dome light went out. This fuse feeds the 3 trs fuses under the hood . These are the transmission fuses. See how that dome light ties in? When it acts up again see if the dome light works, if not you know where to look. Good luck , wiring problems can get painful....Glenn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help skii33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
1995sl1sohc
Advanced Member

1995 SL1
1993 SL1

Well I decided to see if the wiring to fuse box was the problem. I pretty much pulled the trans 3/4 fuse and went for a drive . It threw probably 7 codes, 3 of them were the ones I listed above. I'll dig deeper into the fuse block and see if something is loose in there and I'll check the connection at the body fuse. Thanks for the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #11
skii33

1995 SL2

If you look at the backside of the fuse box from the drivers side there is a 8 or 10 mm bolt that can be removed, this will allow the wiring to be pulled from the back of the fuse box (dont be scared ) the wire i was having problems with was a fairly big red wire approx 12-14 gage maybe. When you pull this wiring cluster if the red wire feeding the body fuse is the problem the female connector will look like it has been getting hot as in it will be discolored compared to the other connectors. All i did to fix it was to squeeze the connector to make it grip the male spade terminal tighter....good luck and i hope this is your problem , cause if not you will have to keep tracing wires or possible other intermitten problems......Glenn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #12
1995sl1sohc
Advanced Member

1995 SL1
1993 SL1

Update:

Well today it did the same kinda thing, slammed into gear then the torque converter refused to lock up. So I pulled over turned the car off checked the transmission codes (25: no TCC, and 72: 2nd line shorted) and restarted it and everything was perfectly fine. At this point I'd had enough, and pulled it into the garage pulled the fuse block and started going over everything found nothing wrong in the fuse block, but did find a really corroded ground I couldn't see before so I cleaned that up. Then I pulled the VB connector and looked really closely and there was a small amount of moisture in there (has to be trans fluid) so I pulled the VB cover and replaced the connector seal with a new one I had left over from a trans rebuild kit I bought for the car. Cleaned up the pins and connector and put it all back together. Started it up, hard start, high idle, and SES light then remembered I forgot to plug the IAT back in, lol that scared me for a second. Plugged it back in started fine and idled right, drove it and it shift and drives fine, so let's hope this fixed it. I'll check the VB connector for any signs of moisture about a week from now and make sure it's the seal and not some defect in the cover. I hope this is it because I can't think of anything else to look at.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!