SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #1
Sera
Sera is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
1997 SW2
Default Saturn Lover from NC!

Hey there!

I've been lurking on this forum for years, looking for tips on fixing minor problems with my Saturns. I'm not a mechanic, but I'm a little handy with car stuff!

I got my first Saturn in 2009 (2000 SL2) from a friend who didn't like driving a stick shift, and I fell in love right away. My job has required me to do a lot of driving, sometimes cross country, and it performed like a champ with regular maintenence! I lost it in a hit and run on the interstate in 2013, and actually cried over the loss of my beloved car (hey, I'm a lady, cut me some slack!).

I scored the internet for another Saturn, and found a 2002 SC1 in Ohio that was relatively low mileage (85k), but needed some work. I flew there and bought it, and even in it's not-so-perfect state, drove it all the way back to North Carolina. I've slowly been working on it since. I had rust damage underneath the car fixed, replaced the catalytic converter, muffler, stater, all rotors, brake pads and drums, fuel filer, and more... Now it runs like a champ. It's at 98k now, so I'm looking into having the transmission fluid flushed/changed (which is better?), and I just replaced the water pump, serpentine belt, and spark plugs. I want to take good care of this car and drive it for years to come!

My mom was so impressed with my Saturns that she got one herself! A 1997 SW2. I've been helping her maintain it, and it's running great!

Anyway, I wanted to say hello, and thank you to all of you posters over the years who have helped me solve problems and mysteries.

1997 SW2 - 260k and going strong
2000 SL2 - 340k, RIP (Died in a hit and run on the interstate)
2002 SC1 - 98k, my chariot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sera's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sera reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn Lover from NC!

Fabulous - great story! Welcome to SaturnFans, Sera! As for shedding tears at the loss of the 2000 SL2, I find nothing wrong with that. I suspect that my reaction might be the same if I lose my LS1 in the same manner. It's been a wonderfully reliable car so whenever it's gone from me for good I will miss it.

288,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Saturn Lover from NC!

Great intro story. I can see you racked up a lot of Saturn miles!

There's low mile Saturns closer to you than OH, but it sounds like you found the car you wanted
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231012

There's more traffic on the S-series general and tech forums, so you may want to say "hi" over there there
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Is your new SC1 an auto transmission, or manual trans?

No flushing for the auto trans required, simple change (drain and fill) is all that is needed - it uses a spin-on canister filter (located under the battery tray), so if you can change your oil, you can change your ATF/filter.

Avoid Dex VI fluids, look for Dex III or Dexron/Mercon marked fluid; or use a synthetic

Procedure here
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65426

The manual trans does not require a transmission fluid change, though some people do it anyway just because. Same trans fluid is used

There are probably videos and picture threads if needed.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote