SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #41
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: '94 SL2 manual trans, electrical help needed

The third item I see in that Mouser link is TI #TPS793475DBVR; that is a SOT-23 SMD part, not DIP, and has to use at lest 4 pins, 5 preferred. What am I missing?

As I look for another PCM, will any other year have a chance of working without re-flash? On mine are two numbers, "21022767" and "21022422" (service #?); which is the unique number I should be looking for?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2018, 08:24 PM   #42
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

How many pins on the device on the board?

The only thing that works is the correct year as you have major wiring issues with a 95 PCM as well as functionality. You have to have the CA emissions 94 PCM.

Less than $20 and it might actually work. Probably have to swap in the OEM box for the biannual smog check though. https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-CONT...S!-1:rk:3:pf:0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:46 PM   #43
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

3-pin TO-220 package

Ha, now I see the trick with ebay: you have to search for ECM, not PCM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #44
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I used 94 Saturn PCM to find that one. Using ECM instead of PCM does pull up more results for the 94. Looks like lots of choices to pick from.

I suspect the electronic EGR will function with a FED emissions PCM as there is a signal converter under the battery tray on your car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:00 PM   #45
billr
Master Member

Well, time to end this one. I ordered a "rebuilt" PCM. I will keep trying to drive it until the replacement is available by simply turning the ignition on and letting it cook for a minute or so until I try cranking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2018, 11:21 PM   #46
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That will work and provide a clean fix. I was thinking about the difficulty of getting an outboard 5v supply integrated into the PCM signal system without getting into EFI issues as a fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2018, 12:20 AM   #47
billr
Master Member

I couldn't even find where to disable the existing 5V supply, and didn't think it would work well to scab-on an external one and have them fighting each other.

Maybe repeating myself, but I removed the unknown 3-pin device, it wasn't the source of 5V. I also replaced the suspect 47uF cap on the 5V, the only "big" one on the PCB. That made no difference. I have put both the stock devices back in. It seems to be a 4 (or maybe 6) layer board, and the 5V line quickly disappears under the connector, so tracing the 5V circuit back is near-impossible. It also looks like the active devices are proprietary, so even if I had schematics and could trouble-shoot it, chances are I wouldn't be able to get suitable replacements. I even tried applying heat, cool, and shock/vibration to the board; was not able to discover what component is changing to allow the 5V to come alive after those first seconds (well, maybe up to 60 sec!) after first power-up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2018, 12:41 AM   #48
OldNuc

1998 SC2

IN theory you disconnect the 5v output lines and connect the replacement sorce between those lines and the PCM ground. The internal 5V reference is coming up fast enough to not be generating any fail codes so if the patched in supply does not fail the sensors on the new 5v reference all should be good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2018, 01:18 AM   #49
billr
Master Member

No, I think the internal 5V is not coming up proper, it is the same supply as what goes out external. Note that the cooling fan and FP relay are going nuts as the 5V comes up. I think no codes (or erratic codes) are being set because the CPU function that could recognize and record those problems isn't alive when the 5V is flaky.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #50
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The ECTS/fan is on that 5v supply and most of that 5v load can be externally powered. You would have to live with the FP part of the issue and it might disappear on its own.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2018, 12:42 AM   #51
billr
Master Member

Okay, hopefully this will be the end now. I put in a "refurbished" PCM and all is fine now, but I haven't driven it much yet. I bench-tested the replacement before putting it in. The 5V comes up quick-and-clean, as expected; but the 12V drive for the FP relay behaves in the same odd way as the old one, so I think that is normal.

A side note: I had put the old PCM back in, to make sure the engine could still run fine before installing the "new" PCM. I did the necessary 1 minute wait for the 5V to come up and the PCM boot properly, then went to start it and... no fire! After a second of panic, I remembered that I had disconnected the MAP, TPS, and EGR several days ago when I was still trouble-shooting with the PCM in the car. It started fine once those were re-connected.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2018, 09:58 AM   #52
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It will require several starts from ambient temperature for the new PCM to relearn the car, do not expect final results of this swap until then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #53
billr
Master Member

Yeah, on the first start the idle wan't quite normal. After the second start it seems pretty normal already. Our weather is tame, so I suppose not much re-learn is needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #54
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Regardless of weather the ignition timing is a time consuming process. The rest of it except the auto trans adaptives is done in 1 or 2 cold starts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!