SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #21
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2
Default Re: cannot remove the brake drum

Rock Auto are showing new drums at around $13.00 and brake cylinders around $7.00 per wheel. Brake shoes run between $10.00 and $13.00 and a hardware kits costs $5.00. That's cheap, so if you unsure of the condition of a 17 year old brake cylinder or a drum and hardware that's probably the same vintage, just splurge out and replace the lot. That's gonna cost you around $60.00 or so. At least you will have the knowledge that everything is new at the back end and you will stop safely. How much time would $60.00 buy you in the ER if the brakes don't stop you?

I bought my son a 2002 SL2 as his first car when he was 16. He's 22 now and still has it. It's been a wonderful car. As a dad, I needed for him to be safe so I replaced all the brake stuff front & back. The cars maintenance history was sketchy, so I basically restarted it from scratch. It's now spot on on scheduled maintenance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #22
newsan
newsan is on a distinguished road

I replaced the wheel cylinders couples years back due to leak and it is Dorman brand from Rockauto. I remembered that there was one side has brake fluid when I checked not long after. The re-replacing has been put off since. I want to have it done this time but now, everything looks OK, at least no running brake fluid only slightly moisture, which I think is normal since there is no visible brake fluid loss in the reservoir. So no broken, no fix rule applies this time.

The Saturn drum has only 0.05 inch wear tolerance! So the drum is wearing off very slowly. After 200,000+ miles, my drum has just been worn about 0.1 to 0.15 inches.

Do you guys have any recommendation for the drum brake, is Centric good? I like its Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads.

2001 SL manual, start to own this when reaches 85000 miles, 203,000@July.2018
2001 SL2 automatic, 7/2018 175,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newsan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newsan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #23
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Are you sure of those numbers? 0.05 is smaller than 0.1 or 0.15. 0.05 is five hundredths of an inch. 0.1 is one tenth of an inch, twice 0.05. If your numbers are correct then drums are worn beyond returning them to use - new drums needed. Go with any brake shoes you like except cardboard/lowest priced ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #24
newsan
newsan is on a distinguished road

The Nom Dia is 7.88 inches, the Max Dia is 7.929 inches which is casted on the drum, so the difference is 0.049inches.

I reluctant to change the drum is because from past experience that the after market parts can cause troubles.

2001 SL manual, start to own this when reaches 85000 miles, 203,000@July.2018
2001 SL2 automatic, 7/2018 175,000

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newsan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newsan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #25
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you are hesitant because of hearsay then you endanger yourself and everyone around you with a worn brake drum. That's not a good place to be in.

Brake drums are brake drums unless you believe in hearsay. Hearsay said 'white box' rotors are inferior to other rotors. Well, no one has proven any rotor in controlled third party tests to compare Brand X 'custom treated' ones from plain rotors. And provide facts on tests with the same brake pads, vehicle, tires, time of day, weather conditions, temperature, humidity, etc.. Ask yourself, has anyone provided factual tests comparing white box rotors to any other plain rotor? Hype, finish, plating, surface treatment, blah blah blah won't save anyone assuming "mine is better than yours" when they crash and survive only to say "I thought my Brand X rotors and pads were the greatest thing since the cellphone invention!?" Someone stating "I can feel my brakes stop better than my old brakes" forget that the old brakes were worn down and were that way for awhile before the new brakes replaced the worn ones.

You can shop to your hearts content and read all the glowing reviews of one brake drum over another but the fact remains - a brake drum has only so much surface area based on iron and steel content to remain structurally strong while brake shoes (metal, ceramic, carbon) rubs against the inside drum to create friction to stop a car. A brake drum is a brake drum. There's very little to improve on the basic design just to stop a little better. If you're racing at top speed all the time and only need brakes to stop then by all means spend money otherwise plain drums are fine for every day driving. Your choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #26
jhonky
jhonky is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

nevermind. Good luck with everything, my response was about adjuster tool

98 SL2
5th gear swap- .643 gear
245,000 miles
215/45 17"
I burn about a quart about every 1500 miles.

If it ain't broke, fix it some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jhonky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jhonky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #27
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsan View Post
The Nom Dia is 7.88 inches, the Max Dia is 7.929 inches which is casted on the drum, so the difference is 0.049inches.

I reluctant to change the drum is because from past experience that the after market parts can cause troubles.
The Centric drums from RockAuto are in balance and function correctly. The others from Asian countries you can not pronounce the name of correctly are almost all out of balance, these defective drums are what you get from the FLAPS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote