SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2006, 10:29 PM   #1
Bertillion
Bertillion is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE
Roll Eyes Crazy High Idle...

I thought there was something wrong with my brakes the other day. I'm sitting at a stop light and my brakes were making all this noise. I'm thinking...great I am going to have to buy new brakes these are going crazy. Turns out the engine was ideling high again and the car was moving. Had to shut the car off in the middle of a busy intersection. Anyone find a better solution yet? Saturn doesn't believe me. lol What a surprise, eh?

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bertillion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bertillion is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
racegirlfor1
racegirlfor1 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Crazy High Idle...

call saturn and file a case #.... when i called about mine... they said they hadn't heard of that before.. but i know for darn well that there are people on here that have had the same thing as me.... the only thing that fixed mine knock on wood so far... is when they replaced the ECM..... after replacing the throttle cable... throttle body... reprogramming the computer several times....... finally after they did the ecm i haven't had any problems.... i just hope it doesn't come back!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racegirlfor1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racegirlfor1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racegirlfor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
Bertillion

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Thanks! I didn't think of it at the time, but I should have did a u-turn and headed to the local dealer. It wasn't that far. I think I know how to recreate the high-idle now though. Maybe I can get it to do it at the right time I am in the area.

"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bertillion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-01-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
synthkat
synthkat is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I've experienced high idling when I had my '04 Ion 3 with a cold air intake whenever there was cold weather. I would just reset the PCM by unplugging the negative plug from the battery, leaving it unplugged for about 15 minutes then replugging it back in. This usually fixed the problem.

Otherwise, I'd just take it to the dealer. Might be a dirty throttle body.

- Synth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to synthkat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help synthkat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
synthkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:18 AM   #5
SaturnManMike
SaturnManMike is on a distinguished road

Man I love this site.

My fiance has been having this issue with our 2004 ION 3 Sedan. It has never happened to me yet though, and is getting frustrating. She always tells me "it happened again"... of course I take it for a spin and nothing. Today she said it happend 2 times. She took it to the dealer, and nothing... She comes home and pulls it in the garage... and bingo... it happens again (3 times today). So, when I got home we drove all over the place, stoping, starting, parking... atleast 25 times. NOTHING.

Looks like I will be driving the ION for a while.

So, anyone have any updates on this? I have searched and read a few previous posts/threads... any new updates?

I am just waiting for something to happen like what was mentioned in other threads... when the engine revs at a stoplight and I surge forward. Yippee. I hope it happens to me and not her.

*** the following to a dramatization of the above event ***

driving along
hey, a stop light
woah, what the

Any thoughts or updates? Those that had this fix.. what was the FINAL fix? Some of the previous posts are hard to follow.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManMike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManMike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
racegirlfor1
racegirlfor1 is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

i have a 2003 ion... it happen to me for several months before they figured out... they replaced the throttle cable.. nothing.. throttle body.. nothing in fact it got worse to the point they wouldn't let me drive it home... it was unsafe... finally they just replaced the ECM and that seems to have done the trick.. i'm still leerly that it will do it again... when i start it up .. it seems a bit higher than normal.. but nothing like it use to be and want to drive its self.. !!! hope that helps..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racegirlfor1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racegirlfor1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racegirlfor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:30 AM   #7
06lev3x4
06lev3x4 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I guess it brings up the thought of do cars have a mind of their own... maybe they actually do have a brain lol.

Ion 3 Sedan with 2.4 liter engine stock

"Weekends here, good god almighty people, lets get drunk and be somebody"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06lev3x4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06lev3x4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06lev3x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
nberkele
nberkele is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Post Re: Crazy High Idle...

I have a 2004 ION QC-2 and I just took my car in and got this checked on. I was lucky enough to have it high idle on the day I went for an oil change. By the way, it has to be acting up if you take it to the dealership, or they will not look at the problem. Anyway, they found that the IAC - Idle Air Control was covered in Carbon and was stuck. I am assuming when it sticks is when the idle will not go back to normal 700RPM, give or take a few. My car is still under warranty, so it was free for me, but I think on my receipt that there was only about a half hour of labor. So whatever the cost of the IAC plus labor would be the cost for non-warranty issues.

I have only driven the car once since I got it back this morning, but the idle has stayed low thus far. Also, for those in warranty and do this, the part replaced is under a new warranty for 12 months or 12,000 miles.

I am hoping this will solve the problem, since I have read people who replaced throttle bodies and ECM/PCM's have failed to fix the problem.

On a side note about dealerships, I know a lot of people do not like going to dealerships. I have gone to Saturn of Indianapolis for warranty work and oil changes and I am more than pleased with them. They also have a nice silver Sky in their showroom, too bad its an auto though.

Hope this helps,

Nick...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nberkele's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nberkele reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nberkele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #9
Bertillion

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Mine did it twice yesterday. I had to shut the car off in traffic twice. The second time did the trick. I actually passed the Saturn dealership, but I had to get my dad to a doctor's appointment. If I can't get it fixed I will be dumping this car. I can put up with squeaks and rattles, but I don't tolerate anything that will compromise the safety or performance of the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #10
SaturnManMike

Event Log - Day One... No high idle.

Don't worry, I won't update this every day... anyone with this issue, lets keep the communication going. I just wish it would happen to me once. Not that I don't believe my girl... I just want to expirence it so I can go into the dealership with first hand expirence.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManMike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #11
bue05
Advanced Member
bue05 will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XE

nberkele, is that saturn dealership not to far from an hh gregg? Where at in Indianapolis, i used to work with a lady who had a l300 and she loved them there they were great.Good service etc. bue05

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bue05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bue05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bue05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
Bertillion

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

I was able to work it so the high idle occured today and I was near a local retailer. So they know I am not crazy now! lol This was their cure...

"TECH FOUND DOCUMENT #1549767 TO REPROGRAM ECM AND UPDATED SOFTWARE. TECH REPROGRAMMED ECM AND VERIFIED IDLE DOES NOT STICK AND IDLE HIGH."

I am not sure if it will work. Since other people have had this done and it didn't fix theirs, I am not too optimistic. It doesn't seem to happen in the warmer weather. Therefore, I may not even know if this fix is permanent until next winter. I'll let you know if anything changes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-06-2006, 07:45 PM   #13
SaturnManMike

It must have been a good day for High Idles.

It finally happend to me! It happend this AM when I got to work, called the dealer and said I would stop by after work. Of course I was thinking... great, now it WONT happen when I get there... but it did! Yippee! I have never been so excited about a car NOT running correctly. I pulled in, and put it in park... sure enough, the tac was at 2,000. One of the service guys was waving for me to pull in the garage... and I was like "No way, not untill someone sees this".. hehe

Anyways, same situation as poster above. PCM was reprogrammed.

It was mentioned that this went away in warmer weather. I think it was was near 50 degrees out today... thats "warm" by my standards.

I will update this if it happens again.

**edit** a lil more info from the invoice - "reprogrammed PCM per bulletin #04-06-04-029A"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-07-2006, 11:09 AM   #14
nberkele
nberkele is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Post Re: Crazy High Idle...

bue05 - the saturn dealership isn't too far from an HH Gregg. The dealership is located just off of west 38th st. behind Meijer. From 38th, turn north on Kevin way, it will wind back and you will see Saturn of Indy (address is actually Pike Plaza, www.saturnindy.com). HH Gregg is a little farther east, right before 38th and I-65 come together.

I am on day 3 since they replaced my IAC, and have had no high idle reoccurance yet. I am optimistic that this will solve the problem, for at least another 30,000 miles. Not sure why the IAC would be all carboned up, but I am pretty sure it will slowly do the same again.

If they say it is the ECM that needs to be reprogrammed, hopefully this works, but you might want to ask them to check out the IAC to see if it has a lot of carbon build up.

I will give some updates to let you know if I have had a high idle, like SaturnMAnMike is doing.

all for now,

Nick...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nberkele's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nberkele reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nberkele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #15
SaturnManMike

Welp, that didn't last long.

After just having PCM reprogrammed - same thing. This time I think it may have happened while I was in DRIVE... yikes. It's had to tell with your radio on and music going. It's not like you can "feel" 2,000 rpms. I guess I need to pay more attention. All I know is when I went from "Drive" to "Reverse" to pull into the garage (I have to make 2 point turn to pull in) my car shifted pretty hard and lurched backwards. I backed up to complete my turn. Then I put it in "park" before I pulled into the garage - and sure enough... RPM's were at 2,000.

GRRRR!!!!!

Taking it in Monday again. I hope it doesn't start doing this is DRIVE now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #16
SaturnManMike

Just another update for anyone having this issue. I took it into the dealer - of course it didn't happen (yet it happend when I got to work this AM, and twice over the weekend)...

Kind of frustrating... I mentioned the IAC as suggested above... nothing.

So, now I have to bring it in again when its acting up. Problem is its sparatic. Looks like I will be stopping at the dealer every night on my way home from work untill it happens again for them to see (5'ish miles outta my way, not terrible).

Apparently this problem doesn't post an error code. I guess I don't understand why they need to see it happen again since the result would be the same... rev'ing car @ 2k rpms, and no error code.

I am a little frustrated... but am trusting my dealer is doing all they can. Obviously this is not a very common problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2006, 08:13 PM   #17
carl
carl is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2000 SL

I have had the same problem with my 2000 SL... i think in 05 they change things around.

I just pull the IAC every now and then to clean it. I have not heard of the ECU or PCM being reprogramed to fix it? but i hope that does work for you, im getting an 04 ion in two days and thought i would not have to deal with that

If it was not hard it would not be cool....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #18
Bertillion

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

It's common enough that they had to issue a service bulletin to fix it. I wish they would take our word for it too, but that's not the way it works I guess anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2006, 08:25 PM   #19
carl
carl is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2000 SL

so the reprogram is the official fix that works?

If it was not hard it would not be cool....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:19 PM   #20
Bertillion

2004 ION-3 Sedan
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl
so the reprogram is the official fix that works?
It's working so far for me, but not for SaturnManMike. I don't have much faith in it either as a permanent fix though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!