saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 07-30-2006, 10:34 PM   #1
jhutch2115
jhutch2115 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default water in the pasanger foot well

Recently I have found water in the front passanger footwell of my 04' ION Q2 , right in the rear right hand side. I have not noticed water on my seats, headliner, counsol, or dash. When I turn on my fan I do smell a meldewy smell now. I recently had the car serviced where they replaced the H20 pump gasket and fixed a broken bold. Is this casual or quencidential? I did call the dealership the first day they were open after the repair because I found the water in the footwell and then checked the coolent level. To my suprise I found the cap on the expansion tank was not on tight ( it took several turns to tighten) and there was antifreez on top of the tank. Anyone have any solutions? I also checked the sun roof and the passanger window and both were closed. Thank you in advance, JIm
jhutch2115 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
SattyLite
SattyLite is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: water in the pasanger foot well

Hey Jim,
I currently have the same problem and have been to the dealership twice trying to get it resolved. There are a couple of TSBs out on the possible reasons for the leak. As you I thought that water may be getting in from somewhere outside the car, but it seems that the probable cause has to do with the box that drains the condensation from the ac to the outside of the car.

My car is out of warranty and the dealer charged 2hrs. labor to try and fix the leak the 1st time; a couple days later it started leaking again and they still have not fixed it. So now I am trying to fix it myself since I don't have time to leave the car at the dealer all day just to find it the way it was when I left it. I have had the carpet and interior all pulled out since before I took it to the dealer the 1st time.

I'll try to find those TSBs for you. Let us know what the outcome is.
SattyLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
92DualCam
92DualCam is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1992 SL2

As SattyLite posted, most likely whats your up against. They are not fun to do, as you need to remove the carpet, and center console. I remove the BCM as it gives you a little more room to work with. Ive found it you remove all the screws in the HVAC box, you can get it down enough to goop it up with sealant it that upper corner where they tend it leak. Ive prob done 5 or 6 and havnt had one come back yet. Good luck!
92DualCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
blentz
blentz is a jewel in the roughblentz is a jewel in the roughblentz is a jewel in the rough

I don't know if this applies to you, but when I had a pool behind the passenger seat, it was because of a leaking/rusted sunroof frame (drains were clear; beneath the sunroof weatherstripping was totally rusted out).
blentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:20 PM   #5
traxomatic
traxomatic is on a distinguished road

i am having the same problem right now. it's been raining a lot the past few days and at first just a small bit of water was in the driver's side floorboard. i made an appointment for service on monday for this friday (i have an 05 ion2). monday night i got into my car and it was soaked completely on the passenger side. now my electrical system is acting all weird -- the lights come on inside of the car for no reason when i'm driving and the alarm keeps going off at random times. it's at the dealer right now hopefully having the issue resolved -- the passenger side seemed like it had leaked from the sunroof somehow.
traxomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:32 PM   #6
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

Do all of you reporting in this thread have sunroofs or you've repared leaky Ions with sunroofs? I don't have a sunroof on mine but I keep an eye on what problems others have, as my model's not that dissimilar from yours.
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:58 PM   #7
jhutch2115
jhutch2115 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2003 VUE 3.0L

Thank you to all of those who replied to my origional question! My problem went away but now has returned in great quantities .It has to be from my sun roof because the headliner on both sides has been wet and I have triple checked my windows and sun roof and all three have been found to be closed as tight as they can be. Is there a TSB on this? I am going to call the dealership tomorrow to what they aare willing to do, any sugetstions?-- JIm
jhutch2115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:12 PM   #8
swoker183
swoker183 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

ive had this problem before and it turn out to be a clogged sunroof drain
swoker183 is offline   Reply With Quote