SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Green Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2007, 12:18 PM   #1
JohnnyHavana
JohnnyHavana is on a distinguished road

Happy Looking to buy a 2007 Hybrid Vue, any personal experiece or comments VERY welcome

Hey guys, new here, always liked the design of the Saturns and very interested in getting the Vue Hybrid 2007 as the 2008 won't be out in my area for 5-6 months etc.
I would really appreciate any advice or personal information about your experieces with your hybrid, good or bad.
I see all the good thats out thier, but want the real truth from actual drivers, so if you have a minute, please let me know your thoughts.
thankyou
Johnny

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnnyHavana's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnnyHavana reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JohnnyHavana is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Looking to buy a 2007 Hybrid Vue, any personal experiece or comments VERY welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHavana View Post
Hey guys, new here, always liked the design of the Saturns and very interested in getting the Vue Hybrid 2007 as the 2008 won't be out in my area for 5-6 months etc.
I would really appreciate any advice or personal information about your experieces with your hybrid, good or bad.
I see all the good thats out thier, but want the real truth from actual drivers, so if you have a minute, please let me know your thoughts.
thankyou
Johnny
Johnny,

We purchased our VUE GL in late February 2007. We were pretty much sold on the VUE in the first place; it's the right size and price for our needs. We were intrigued by the hybrid package and since the premium was minimal, we decided to go for it.

First of all--the VUE itself is a wonderful vehicle. The back seat is roomy and there is plenty of cargo space, but it's still easy to get into and drives like a sedan. The interior is very classy and laid out well. It is a much quieter vehicle than we expected--quite a difference from Saturns of the past.

We're also pleased with the hybrid part of the car. I'll say this up front--the VUE GL is NOT a Prius. It won't get 40+ mpg and save the world in the process. It doesn't pretend to do this. If you expect a Prius in SUV form, you'll be disappointed--but if you expect a good, reasonably priced SUV that just happens to get great mileage, you'll be very happy. Currently, we are getting 27 mpg on average, and I would put our "highway" percentage at less than 5%. The GL is my wife's commuter, and she drives on country roads and in town. Those who drive on the highway most of the time achieve the 32 mpg rating or even better.

The power from the 2.4 ecotec is quite good, and the engine is very quiet and smooth. It's not as powerful as the almighty Honda V6 that's offered, but frankly, we don't need or care for that kind of power in a compact SUV. The premium for the hybrid is relatively small when one considers the extra equipment and better mileage, and keep in mind that it qualifies for a $650 federal tax credit.

I definitely recommend the GL. Remember that unlike other hybrids, this one isn't suited to primarily city driving, but seems to prefer mixed highway driving. If you drive mostly in the city, you might want to consider a "full" hybrid like the Ford Escape Hybrid. (As a matter of comparison, the Toyota Highlander Hybrid averages slightly less than the VUE GL, but costs nearly $10000 more!) I should also mention that we are approaching 4k miles and haven't had any problems.

Check out this website to see other GL owners and their mileage:
http://greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/saturn-vue.html

Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
RicksVue
RicksVue is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Looking to buy a 2007 Hybrid Vue, any personal experiece or comments VERY welcome

I'm in agreement with takepj - I'm quite pleased with the Green Line as it's giving me 25% better fuel mileage than my 2003 V6; in fact, the mileage is getting better with time. The engine and electric assist work well together to make it feel as peppy as the V6 was.

I drive mostly local suburban commute mileage, not much real "city". When stuck in extended stop-and-go, the mileage is pretty disappointing, but that's not what I spend most of my time doing.

If you're not expecting 40MPG, I think you'll be happy with the Green Line.

-Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RicksVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RicksVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RicksVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
ronnald
ronnald is on a distinguished road

Well, I figure I might was well chime in here. I did purchase a GL initially but recently exchanged it for the V6 under Saturns Exchange program. I put 900 miles on the Gl and had it for 3 weeks. As others have noted the GL does get better gas mileage. The interior layout is identical to the V6, expect the instrument cluster has a charge readout in the lower right corner. The GL also uses the brushed nickle instead of the fake wood trim and a black background on the gauge cluster. Personally either one was fine with me.

However I will state that *for me* I found the engine buzzy and noisy (my other car is a Honda V6 so maybe I'm spoiled). I really didn't have a problem with it shutting off at every stop, but I do wonder how much improvement in mileage that saves in the real world. GM uses various techniques on the GL version to increase mileage such as harder compound tires, a slighty lower front end and other techniques. I also always wondered about reliablity, esp since every stop, the engine will shut down. The GL also does without a spare, not that it's a big deal, but something to note.

After I exchanged it for the V6, I immediately noticed the increase in power. I'm not a lead footed driver but do find the extra torque and power very nice to have. I also enjoyed the smoother stops than the GL. Others have said the GL stops get smoother as it "breaks in" though, but how much smoother? My wife, who drives like a grandmother, also enjoys that added power.

I suggest you take both out for a long test drive. One of my Saturn dealers told us to take it out for an hour or two, make some errands and see how it does. Maybe you can try that. For me the Honda V6 was a welcome "upgrade", very smooth. It will cost more in gas mileage but depending how much your drive, that might not be much of an issue. For me I'm paying roughly $30-$40 a month more. But factor in the cost of the car at $25,000 I want something that I'll enjoy driving.

Maybe in a few years, I'll purchase the GM's Generation II hybrid in the next Vue, but IMO the current one just didn't cut it for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ronnald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ronnald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ronnald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Xyrus
Xyrus is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Are you just looking for a nice new car or are you looking for something that will give you better gas mileage? Or both?

If you're looking for better gas mileage in an SUV, then my first question to you is what is your commute like?

I have had the VUE GL since December and I don't have any complaints, either as a vehicle or gas mileage-wise.

But you should have realistic expectations if you're expecting better gas mileage. If you're commute is short with a lot of stops (especially in cold weather) then you're not going to get much (if any) gas mileage improvement. One poster on here has a 5 mile commute with a possible 12 stops. You're not going to get good gas mileage with anything under those circumstances.

However, if you have an average commute then you'll get an improvement. Right now I commute along the DC beltway with a few miles of city driving and I'm seeing 28-29 mpg (beltway is often slow-and-go). If you're commute is mostly freeway, then you'll see closer to 30+. You can check out the mileages over at GreenHybrid.com.

Take it out for a test run.

~X~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Xyrus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Xyrus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Xyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: Looking to buy a 2007 Hybrid Vue, personal experience or comments VERY welcome

My concern for all GL owners is that you are first out the gate with new technology like the VUE VTi owners were. We all trusted Saturn because they had a track record of making things right.

After seeing how Saturn backed up the VUE VTi owners, I don't think I'd want to take a chance with the GL.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Looking to buy a 2007 Hybrid Vue, personal experience or comments VERY welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
My concern for all GL owners is that you are first out the gate with new technology like the VUE VTi owners were. We all trusted Saturn because they had a track record of making things right.

After seeing how Saturn backed up the VUE VTi owners, I don't think I'd want to take a chance with the GL.
I think there is huge difference between a VTI and GL...the GL has no 'new' parts...the engine and transmission have been proven (Ecotec and Hydramatic with a slight variation from norm), the BAS isn't a new technological marvel, plus it is backed by a long 8 year warranty. My only concern would be the battery life....time will tell.

My Ecotec was a bit buzzy at the begginning, but it sure has smoothed out nowadays...definitely needed several thousand miles before of break-in before it went away. Smooth as silk now....

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mellissam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mellissam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam View Post
I think there is huge difference between a VTI and GL...the GL has no 'new' parts...the engine and transmission have been proven (Ecotec and Hydramatic with a slight variation from norm), the BAS isn't a new technological marvel, plus it is backed by a long 8 year warranty. My only concern would be the battery life....time will tell.

My Ecotec was a bit buzzy at the beginning, but it sure has smoothed out nowadays...definitely needed several thousand miles before of break-in before it went away. Smooth as silk now....
The starter/generator technology and supporting hardware in the VUE GL does not have a track record. The battery pack is covered by an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty. I'm not certain if the rest of the hybrid package is covered by the five-year/100,000-mile warranty.

I'd be cautious... I hate to see people being used as beta testers for new technology and being burned on items as expensive as cars...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #9
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
The starter/generator technology and supporting hardware in the VUE GL does not have a track record. The battery pack is covered by an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty. I'm not certain if the rest of the hybrid package is covered by the five-year/100,000-mile warranty.

I'd be cautious... I hate to see people being used as beta testers for new technology and being burned on items as expensive as cars...
No--the entire hybrid component package (battery, powertrain controller, motor/generator, aramid cord drive belt and tensioners) is covered under the 8/100k warranty. And there's a pretty good track record for DC motors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:41 PM   #10
mellissam
mellissam will become famous soon enoughmellissam will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:

I think the whole BAS system is covered by the 8yr/100k warranty. The worse case scenario is the battery pack goes dead, so your engine doesn’t shut-off at lights (and no boost at take-off) and your carrying around 200lbs of dead weight…as I recall you said everyone carries around 200lbs of junk in their car…LOL…I would have gotten one had they sold them in 06….good for the environment and my pocketbook…plus it comes with an even better Ecotec…what more could you ask for? At least, I don’t have to worry about an expensive timing belt repair at 100k….
I think this type of Hybrid-lite will become common-place in the near future...such an elegant, yet simple design for saving a few litres of gas...unnecessary idling at lights. In Europe my friends always shut-off their car at lights/railway crossings....

'Silven'

K&N / Sheep seats / Run Brds / Roof Rack / Fog Lps / Trailer Hitch / Air Horns / LEDs / Power Inv. / Cool Blues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mellissam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant futureCharlie has a brilliant future

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Thumbs Up Re: Looking to buy a 2007 Hybrid Vue, personal experience or comments VERY welcome

Quote:
The starter/generator technology and supporting hardware in the VUE GL does not have a track record.
Actually, the BAS system used in the Vue is not GM's first application of the technology. Chevrolet and GMC have used it in their fullsize pickups since the 2004 model year. I haven't heard about any problems with it so far.

Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
djreed
djreed is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellissam View Post
I think this type of Hybrid-lite will become common-place in the near future...such an elegant, yet simple design for saving a few litres of gas...unnecessary idling at lights.
Well said. I think it is a simple and efficient system that we will see applied to many more vehicles in the near future…. Aura Green line now, Chevy Malibu soon…

saturn VUE Green line SAE paper

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djreed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djreed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #13
siregalahad
siregalahad is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line
Happy Re: Looking to buy a 2007 Hybrid Vue, any personal experiece or comments VERY welcome

My wife and I recently purchased an 07 Vue Greenline, and have not had any problems with it at all. The Hybrid system is really easy to use, and I have been able to drive for large stretches of highway with it engaged. Haven't yet figured out my own mileage, but I recently went two weeks between fillups. It's kinda neat having to think back as to when we last refueled....
The turning radius is one very unexpected benefit. The Vue reminds me of my old Chevy Cavalier.
The bottom line is that we're really enjoying our 07 Greenline, and highly recommend it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to siregalahad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help siregalahad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
siregalahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:19 PM   #14
mellissam

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by siregalahad View Post
..... The turning radius is one very unexpected benefit. ......
Funny, I thought the turning radius sucked....LOL...Oh well, it goes to show me that it probably isn't that bad at all. For a SUV it does seem to have a narrow wheelbase...actually, it just seems squat, able to squeeze into spots that I thought were reserved for minis...

'Silven'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!