SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2001, 10:40 AM   #1
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Happy LFC for L-series or VUE powertrains?

Ok, anyone here realize ALL current S-series engine blocks and internals are using LFC (Lost-foam Casting) to mold their shapes.

This is the casting method used by Spring Hill since day one.

Now we all know L-series/VUE powertrains are not built by Spring Hill. Don't know where the 2.2 is built, but the V6 is built in England. Are they the same using LFC method to mold the parts also?

Look at your S-series engine block next time, you'll see little 'Pore' pattern all across like in styrofoam cups.

But from what I look at the block surface of L-series, it doesn't look like it's done by LFC.

Just curious to know.

##############################################

Some background of what LFC is:

Lost foam casting (LFC) is a type of metal casting process that uses foam patterns to produce castings.* Lost foam casting uses a cavityless mold with the pattern remaining in the mold during metal pouring.* The foam pattern is replaced by molten metal, producing the casting.

##############################################

Basic advantages from LFC used by Spring Hill:

1.* Dimensional accuracy.* the patterns are accurate representations of the desired casting.* There is no tool wear.* There is less finishing work required for an LFC casting, as there are no fins or parting lines.

2.* Cores are eliminated.* This allows for more complex casting designs, well-controlled wall thickness of castings and no coreprints.* This process also eliminates fins or shifts, core defects and sand mixing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2001, 01:57 PM   #2
SCDYNE
SCDYNE is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
1997 SC2
Default LFC is alive and kicking...

Yes, the L61 uses the LFC process.
You can easily see in this photo where the oil filter is installed that there are seams where the pieces of foam were glued together to make the finished product.

This engine with all the accessories installed on it only weighs in at 300 lbs.

From the top the head uses roller lifters and can implement servo-controlled valves and direct injection in future models. Accessories can be driven off of the cams and Saturn uses it to drive the steering pump in this version.

Though the block (above) is an open design the cylinders are sleeved and can be sized from 1.8-2.4L in total displacement. The brackets for accessories are part of the block for added control of vibration noise and harshness. It also has counter balanced shafts to suppress vibration and an all paper oil filter.
The cams and balance shafts are driven from separate chains and they are hydraulically adjusted to last the life of the vehicle.

The Crank Shelf sandwiches the crank in between the block and itself and provides a very strong bottom end. The thrust bearing located on the #2 position is a complete 360degree thrust and offset to prevent crank walk and an even the thrust load distribution.

To the bottom the pan is the final point of the strength of the engine by being a structural girdle stiffing up the bottom of the engine.

-Adam Chant
2007 Saturn SKY - Supercharged
1997 Saturn SC2 - Stock Rebuild

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SCDYNE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SCDYNE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2001, 02:41 PM   #3
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

That was a very informative post. All the goodies about the L61 in a quick, concise message. The L61 engine is most definitly LFC. It has the tell-tale styrofoam cup look to it. BTW, the engine is one of the few things on my car that has not had a lick of trouble. That is a good thing! Thanks Adam!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2001, 03:00 PM   #4
Qlara
Master Member

Thumbs Up

Adam: Can't thank you more than this! VERY NICE info you've posted about the L61 2.2 Ecotech with LFC process.

In fact, where did you pull those internal pics of L61 from? Looks like they're from GM/Saturn's Engineering department for show and tell purposes.

Now what about this supreme L81 V6 info then? I'd guess everyone is interested on looking inside this might L300 powerplant!

Even for internal pics I only see L61 from GM web site. The L81 is a bit on mystery side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2001, 03:10 PM   #5
Harry
Advanced Member
Harry is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Arrow

One hopes, for GM's sake above that of Saturn's, that the L61 is indeed a good engine. As of mid year 2002, the 2.2L 10:1 140hp/150lb-ft version is in the Chevy Cavalier Z24, Pontiac Sunfire GT, Grand Am SE and Oldsmobile Alero GL/GX plus I don't know what engines in the rest of the world.

Any idea when Saturn L's might get the 10:1 version instead of the 9.5:1 version they have now? I think I've read that the 2.2 in the VUE is rated a bit higher than the one in the L's so perhaps it already has the newer one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2001, 12:08 AM   #6
SCDYNE

2007 SKY
1997 SC2
Thumbs Up Early in November...

I posted a very detailed walkthrough of the L61 months ago on the old forum version, but I guess it got lost in the change over, this is just a summary of that.

Since this is the choice engine for GM's FWD future products I figured it would be a good idea to learn everything I could about it.

In the next few weeks GM will announce a FWD ECOTEC Motorsports team that includes a dragster. It's tennativly slated to be a Pontiac, but with the feedback from NOPI and the feedback GM gets from the SCX at the SEMA and Auto show it may be enough to make it a Saturn.

GM has put SERIOUS R&D into the performance potential of this engine and they have plans to implement most of them throughout the product line in one form or another. If it's roots blower, turbo or 12.5:1 NA 100HP/L engine the parts are all interchangable. There is NO reason why a Saturn can't make as much power as the Pontiac or Chevy.

Hang in there and everyone will be happy real soon.

-Adam Chant

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SCDYNE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2001, 12:35 AM   #7
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

Thanks for the cool info Adam! Nice to know GM put some balls into their engineering for once....

...or at least some thinking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SpeedPlayer 97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SpeedPlayer 97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2001, 06:56 AM   #8
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Adam.

That's why I love my LS even though it has had its share of glitches. The engine is not included in the problems and has so much power it feels like at least a 6. Smooth as silk.

Just one thing. If the guys and gals at GM can build the 2.2, why can't they make the interior stay together? Maybe some powertrain engineers need to teach their brethren in interior systems how engineering is supposed to be practiced.

Great pics. Makes me love my Satty even more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-17-2001, 04:56 PM   #9
Qlara
Master Member

Dizzy

Btw, where's this 2.2L Ecotech built from, if not by Spring Hill?

V6 is from England, so I'd assume all nuts and bolts are in metric format.

Also by looking at the V6 vs Ecotech, this V6 is one bit weird breed.......Trox on Oil plug nut, Invert-Trox bolts all over engine block. Even the Yellow Oil-Filler cap has no 5w-30 printed on it. Duh!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2001, 10:47 AM   #10
SCDYNE

2007 SKY
1997 SC2
Default Production of the 2.2L

The 2.2L ECOTEC is produced Tonawanda, NY for use in North American vehicles.

-Adam Chant

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread