SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 10:16 PM   #1
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Cheap, Cheap, Cheap (cabin filter)

I assume I will be able to change this filter twice before the door for this thing breaks off. That whole plastic cowl section is the worst I've ever seen. Do you guys even bother putting this filter in any more?

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2004, 10:37 PM   #2
silverblueL200
Advanced Member
silverblueL200 is on a distinguished road

Yea the that whole cowl is pretty poorly made, I always have to bend the metal back into place everytime I open it. I still keep changing the filter though cause it does seem to work pretty well.

- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2004, 11:37 PM   #3
Euphony010
Advanced Member
Euphony010 is on a distinguished road

I broke mine the first time :-(

I need to check that...

Thomas

So Long L Series... Hello Mazda 3.

I still miss the polymer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Euphony010's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Euphony010 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2004, 12:14 AM   #4
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

I must be missing something here as I had no trouble getting to the filter on my 2000 LS2 and now on the 2004 L300.3.

Make sure you lift the cowl seal completely off the metal flange and put the screwdriver in from the front,not the side as shown in Handbook.

I live in a dusty area and wife has alergies so I changed filter more often than called for in LS2......must have replaced it at least a dozen times and the cover showed no signs of wear. If you try to pry it up from sides,I can see why the hinge might mot last too long.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2004, 10:11 AM   #5
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

My LS had the same self-hinged piece of crap.

Contrast to my Corolla. Open glove compartment and squeeze sides.

Reach in and remove a door with 2 press snaps.

Pull out old filter. Push in new filter.

All of 2 minutes - no tools.

GM engineers are tremendously lacking in intelligence.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2004, 03:49 PM   #6
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

I had no trouble changing mine, but I removed the hood seal first. Made it much easier to open the cover.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2004, 04:31 PM   #7
Silversaturn
Silversaturn is on a distinguished road

How often should this be replaced?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silversaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silversaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2004, 05:47 PM   #8
BobL
Master Member

Possibly every 8K. Depends on where you drive.

When airflow on "fresh" is much less than on "recirc", it's time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2004, 10:06 PM   #9
Silversaturn
Silversaturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by BobL
Possibly every 8K. Depends on where you drive.

When airflow on "fresh" is much less than on "recirc", it's time.
:o: :o: :o: , well i guess at 17k i'd better get one and replace the old one...DOH!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silversaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silversaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2004, 10:14 PM   #10
Hans Gilbranson
Hans Gilbranson is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Make sure you lift the cowl seal completely off the metal flange and put the screwdriver in from the front,not the side as shown in Handbook.

[/B]
Is that what they mean in the owner's manual when they say to "peel" the seal back?

My filter was changed a few weeks ago. Both center dash A/C vents worked fine prior to changing it. A few days later when we turned the air on the left center vent had no air flow at all, while all of the others worked fine and all other functions of the HVAC system functioned properly.

Anyway, I lifted up the lip from left to right and was popping up the cover as I went. It came up and there were same leaves and things next to the holes where the ductwork opened and closed.

I ran the system for awhile and low and behold the duct getting no air worked fine.

The hard part was closing the cover and trying to get the lip of the gasket over the edge of the cover. I'm guessing from what you said that I could have simply lifted the gasket off and merely pushed it back into place when I was done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hans Gilbranson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hans Gilbranson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-13-2004, 11:21 PM   #11
silverblueL200
Advanced Member
silverblueL200 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Silversaturn
How often should this be replaced?
I have to change mine every couple a months, its gets nasty pretty quick, I left the last one in a little too long and it got all moldy and crap.

- 2003 Saab 9-3 Arc

Hello, mother. I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint. It's in my diaper and it's not a toaster. -Stewie Griffin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverblueL200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverblueL200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2004, 12:08 AM   #12
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

OOPS. My bad. I really thought that hood seal was glued on. I'll try pulling that seal off and prying up in the middle next time. Maybe I could make it last longer that way. That assembly is still awfully cheap though.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:19 AM   #13
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Hans;

Yes,that is what they mean. The seal is a friction-fit thing with no fasteners and is very easy to remove and replace.....just pull straight up. Again,make sure you take seal completely off before trying to pry up the cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2004, 01:23 AM   #14
Hans Gilbranson
Hans Gilbranson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by hugh
Hans;

Yes,that is what they mean. The seal is a friction-fit thing with no fasteners and is very easy to remove and replace.....just pull straight up. Again,make sure you take seal completely off before trying to pry up the cover.

Thanks! I don't know what happened when I had it off to make the center left A/C outlet get air again but it did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hans Gilbranson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hans Gilbranson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2004, 07:43 AM   #15
mcgyver
mcgyver is on a distinguished road

Default Tried It

This thread motivated me to go out and check my Cabin Filter at 3 months and 7k/mi.

The filter was loaded with crap. And although I did follow 'lost wages' advice and pull the hood seal first, that filter housing does NOT inspire confidence. The whole thing tried to come up instead of just the middle section. It was a hassle.

My experience is from a Volvo dealership a few years back. Our Cabin filters were under a selaed cover held with a couple of T-25 screws as I recall.

Well, I had no replacement on hand so I vacuumed it and tapped it against a wall. For fun, I checked the Engine Air filter too fore the first time. It was hardly stained at all. ??!

Could, perhaps the Cabin Air Filter have been under-designed? Or is there just so much particulate matter suspended in the soCal air?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mcgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mcgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2004, 08:08 AM   #16
BobL
Master Member

I vote underdesigned since large matter should be kept entirely out by a screen.

Entire system is a Rube Goldberg piece of crap compared to the Corolla. No tools and a two minute change.

Guess GM should stop by the Toyota line at the plant they share in Fremont, CA and learn how a proper cabin filter assembly should be engineered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Old 06-14-2004, 10:30 AM   #17
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

Don't forget. The L is basically an Opel Vectra. The filter design is probably from Opel. I have an Olds Silhouette. The cabin filters are changed thru the glove box.

Your Honor Student is merely a pawn in my Min Pin's diabolical world domination plot.

Obey the Min Pin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2004, 11:19 AM   #18
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

The L is very easy after doing it the 1st time. The VUE is a much better design with 2 plastic pull pins. Saturns are the 1st cars I have had these filters and they are expensive.. especially the VUE. I believe some Hondas it is a real task to get to the filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2004, 11:28 AM   #19
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Rick, they are a bit high for what they are. Believe it or not, Saturn was a dolllar cheaper than Pep Boys. I was surprised by that.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 06-14-2004, 11:55 AM   #20
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by AJR
Rick, they are a bit high for what they are. Believe it or not, Saturn was a dolllar cheaper than Pep Boys. I was surprised by that.

Andy
I get the ones for the L for $8.07 from one dealer the other dealer charges $11.25. The one for the VUE costs $21.75 at one dealer and $27.95 at the other

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread