SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 11:39 AM   #1
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1
Default Coolant hoses

My 97 SC has 107k miles and the original coolant hoses.
They look to be in surprisingly good shape but I'm sending the car off to college in January with my kid so it will be an hour away and I'm doing some preventive maintenance.
Any tips on good brands / sources?
THANKS!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2003, 12:01 PM   #2
WHITE98SL2
Advanced Member
WHITE98SL2 is on a distinguished road

coolant hoses I have found are just coolant hoses. I have used aftermarket hoses with no problems but I change them every three years so I couldn't comment on longevity between one type or another. Change the upper and lower for sure. Remember when the hoses feel soft and pliable its time for them to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WHITE98SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WHITE98SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2003, 08:15 PM   #3
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

I didn't like the quality of the Kelly Springfield hoses at Autozone, so went with NAPA, which I found to be of better quality. But I later noticed that Saturn list was about the same as NAPA. Start there, and check prices. I've been surprised how some OE parts come in cheaper than aftermarket (like OE valve cover gasket for $15.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2003, 08:41 PM   #4
Dach
Dach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the roughDach is a jewel in the rough

Don't forget the hose from the coolant tank to the t-stat. And if your t-stat is original it might be worth changing it out while your in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dach's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dach reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:02 PM   #5
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

That's not the only one overlooked. There are seven coolant hoses on an SL of that vintage - -I assume the SC has the same count. All seven bear full cooling system pressure. I replaced 'em all on the car I sent off to college in August.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread