SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default ATF recommendation

1997 SL, 196,000 miles, 5-speed

I have changed the ATF several times in its 22 years. Currently it has Valvoline synthetic fluid.

What commonly available ATF would be thicker than Dexron III? I mean from an auto parts store or Walmart.

I was reading another thread about the 1-2 shift ring wearing. I would like to try a thicker ATF. In lieu of R&R the transmission (just fixed the input shaft last year about this time )

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Re: ATF recommendation

Try a TES 295 fluid...

https://www.allisontransmission.com/...highway-fluids

Look on Summit Racing for a good price on Mobil 1 Delvac ATF...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

TES 295 spec does not guarantee dex-3 characteristics compatibility.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:04 PM   #4
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

BP Autran meets or exceeds Dexron IIIG specification....

https://www.coleoilandpropane.com/wp...an-295-Syn.pdf

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You better check the 100C viscosity as most of these are now identical to Dexron-6 viscosities. Dexron-6 also is declared to be Dexron-3 compatible. You are looking for a 7.5 cSt value for these transmissions. Low viscosity is low oil pressure and clutch slip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You better check the 100C viscosity as most of these are now identical to Dexron-6 viscosities. Dexron-6 also is declared to be Dexron-3 compatible. You are looking for a 7.5 cSt value for these transmissions. Low viscosity is low oil pressure and clutch slip.
What viscosity fluid should I use in my new to me 2002 SL2 automatic with 60k miles that I can feel a slight slip if I mash the throttle just a little starting from a standstill? Is the slight slip normal? I'll take it for a drive today and shoot a video of the tach and speedo which may show the slip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silverblu02SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silverblu02SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
1997 SL, 196,000 miles, 5-speed

I have changed the ATF several times in its 22 years. Currently it has Valvoline synthetic fluid.

What commonly available ATF would be thicker than Dexron III? I mean from an auto parts store or Walmart.

I was reading another thread about the 1-2 shift ring wearing. I would like to try a thicker ATF. In lieu of R&R the transmission (just fixed the input shaft last year about this time )
MikeNW,

I just noticed you have a 5 spd manual transmission. Does the manual use the same fluid as the automatic?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, except the viscosity is even more critical to proper shifting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Not sure how much "out of the box" you can go with the S-Series transmissions but I found this:
Mobil 3309/ Toyota T-IV: @40C= 33 cSt; @100C = 7.1 cSt
Aisin TIV: @40C= 34.88 cSt; @100C = 7.332 cSt

7.5cSt is higher than any of the "high viscosity" ATF's I'm finding. TOTACHI's probably comes closer but I can't find that actually sold by anyone, typical of an industrial focused product.

This is 7.3 as well: https://www.transdepot.net/Transtar-...uid_p_890.html

Guessing that means the "right" fluid is no longer made so it's pointless to try to find it...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Amsoil ATF 7.5@ 100C
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3110.pdf

Mobil mutli vehicle ATF 7.42@ 100C
https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Pas...ti-Vehicle-ATF

Mobil 1 synthetic 7.4
https://www.mobil.com/english-us/pas...-synthetic-atf

Valvoline ATF for Mercon V, 7.4
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1

Transynd, 7.4
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/B4E75979E18A824580257B7C0066658A/$File/BPXE-98ATUN.pdf

I am running Transynd in my 98 SL2 (5 spd) because that is what was local to me. Gonna change over whatever is currently in my SC2 to Transynd but I think I have less than 2 qts left, so need to pick up something to fill out the rest before draining. Probably the Mobil 1 synthetic.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:02 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Any ATF can be used in the power steering system to advantage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 AM   #12
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
TES 295 spec does not guarantee dex-3 characteristics compatibility.
Yet virtually all of them held a DEX III license, due to the fact that they were modeled around DEX III requirements. And all of them had to pass the testing to become TES 295 certified, which proves they hold up in long term use under extreme conditions. In the DEX IIIG to DEXIIIH changes, a number of companies didn't bother with the seal change modifications so they didn't get IIIH licenses.

As for the magic 7.5 viscosity, it's never been a requirement by anyone that made the transmissions, nor are most TES 295 fluids equal in viscosity to DEX VI.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The Saturn fluid had the higher ~7.5 viscosity. The present DEX-3 compatible formulations meet Dex-3H which is slightly lower viscosity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #14
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
The Saturn fluid had the higher ~7.5 viscosity. The present DEX-3 compatible formulations meet Dex-3H which is slightly lower viscosity.
And yet the Saturn fluid was not the only approved fluid. The spec started when DEX II was still around, and included DEX III fluids. Cherry picking one certain characteristic of one certain fluid and making it sound as if there is an actual need to meet that specific characteristic is just misleading at best.

As the fluid specs changed over the years, they also often included changes in frictional properties, seal compatibility, shear, oxidation, etc.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #15
Silverblu02SL2

2002 SL2

Quote:
Any ATF can be used in the power steering system to advantage.
Are you saying any ATF can be used as powering steering fluid in any Saturns, or only Dex III?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-25-2019, 12:21 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Any works but a full synthetic Universal ATF marked a Dexron/Mercon compatible is recommended.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2019, 02:03 PM   #17
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
And yet the Saturn fluid was not the only approved fluid. The spec started when DEX II was still around, and included DEX III fluids. Cherry picking one certain characteristic of one certain fluid and making it sound as if there is an actual need to meet that specific characteristic is just misleading at best.

As the fluid specs changed over the years, they also often included changes in frictional properties, seal compatibility, shear, oxidation, etc.
Part of this is due to issues that GM had with original Dexron-III specifications causing blown transmissions. The long-term stability and sheer protection were too low, and this is what brought Dexron-III F and Dexron-III G specifications.

The only way to alleviate the older formulas was to change the fluid and filter every 12 months or 12,000 miles, instead of the 30-month/30,000-mile from our Saturn S-Series maintenance schedule.

My Dexron-III F did not actually become GM's standard specification, until 1993. This is also why older S-Series dispsticks may still show Dexron-II E approved on its stampings.

Dexron-III G was brought out, in 1998.

And they were originally Group 2 base stock, with additives.

What Nuc is saying to look for is correct, for the longevity of the transmission internals.

Dexron-III G is a synthetic base oil.

The reason the consumer needs to perform due diligence, on which oils are best suited for our cars are due to the fact that most companies do not make the minor revisions needed to meet GM Dexron-III G or Dexron-III H specifications, because they don't want to pay for the licensing.

This is also why you find "Dexron-III" stamped oils, with a slightly lower than 7.5 cSt @ 100°F

Dexron-III H specifications didn't hit the market, until 2003. However, if a fluid is Dexron-III G compatible, it has to be a synthetic base stock. Dexron-III G fluids were originally synthetic, from GM, to address complaints about TCC vibrations and shudder in the 4T65E overdrive transmissions.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #18
Signmaster
Master Member

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Part of this is due to issues that GM had with original Dexron-III specifications causing blown transmissions. The long-term stability and sheer protection were too low, and this is what brought Dexron-III F and Dexron-III G specifications.

The only way to alleviate the older formulas was to change the fluid and filter every 12 months or 12,000 miles, instead of the 30-month/30,000-mile from our Saturn S-Series maintenance schedule.

My Dexron-III F did not actually become GM's standard specification, until 1993. This is also why older S-Series dispsticks may still show Dexron-II E approved on its stampings.

Dexron-III G was brought out, in 1998.

And they were originally Group 2 base stock, with additives.

What Nuc is saying to look for is correct, for the longevity of the transmission internals.

Dexron-III G is a synthetic base oil.

The reason the consumer needs to perform due diligence, on which oils are best suited for our cars are due to the fact that most companies do not make the minor revisions needed to meet GM Dexron-III G or Dexron-III H specifications, because they don't want to pay for the licensing.

This is also why you find "Dexron-III" stamped oils, with a slightly lower than 7.5 cSt @ 100°F

Dexron-III H specifications didn't hit the market, until 2003. However, if a fluid is Dexron-III G compatible, it has to be a synthetic base stock. Dexron-III G fluids were originally synthetic, from GM, to address complaints about TCC vibrations and shudder in the 4T65E overdrive transmissions.
A wall of text that ignores facts.

GM DEX III spec never required a specific viscosity of 7.5

That is a fact, and why so many DEX III fluids were thinner. Including the ones AC Delco supplied to GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2019, 11:37 AM   #19
Silverblu02SL2

2002 SL2

Walmart had Valvoline™ DEX/MERC Automatic Transmission Fluid and Super Tech for the same price $14/ gal. I bought the Valvoline

I was able to find viscosity info for Valvoline https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1

but nothing for Super Tech

Is Super Tech products made specifically for Walmart?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes Super Tech is a Walmart brand. There is an SDS for Super Tech but you will have to ask the actual store manager to get it for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!