SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2014, 11:13 PM   #1
DQ2002
DQ2002 is on a distinguished road

Sad VUE sadness

Let's be clear..... momma LOVES her Saturn, but I am in the great debate about cutting her loose and I need some help.
I have a 2002 VUE with nearly 140K miles on it. She is red and beautiful.
We just spent $430 replacing a wheel bearing, $25 dealing with a loose heat shield, and now face multiple repairs...
Needed NOW
shocks
struts
alignment
serpentine belt
Needed SOON
valve cover gasket
tires
spark plugs and wires
ignition coil
AC recharge
Annoyances
driver door light switch broken
rear speakers blown
driver door and rear door don't seal well and leak water in
lift gate doesn't stay open in cooler temps
service and air bag lights are always on (checked and nothing is wrong)

Anyone think that dealing with this stuff is worth it for such an old car with so many miles? I already replaced the clutch last spring, so that's dealt with. I don't want to let the car go unless it makes sense. If I spend $3K (?) on all of these repairs, do you think I can get another 2-3 years out of her? HELP!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DQ2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DQ2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DQ2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line
Default Re: VUE sadness

It all depends.
If you do all that yourself, you are probably looking at most $500 to $700 but take it to the dealer and be ready to spend $2500 to $3500.
So if you go 1st route, keep it, second route, sell it.

Fo example, wheel bearing can be as low as $40 to $120 for diy but as you found out $450 at she shop. Your money, your time, your choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
DQ2002

How easy would most of this stuff be for a newbie? With maybe a bit of help from my dad...

I looked up serpentine belt and that seems to be sort of easy-ish.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DQ2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:48 AM   #4
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

I don't see timing chain oiler mod in there anywhere and THAT if not done on pre 2004 is going to be an issue to look at

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
DQ2002

Doesn't sound familiar. What do you know about the cost and/or ease of DIY for that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ2002 View Post
Doesn't sound familiar. What do you know about the cost and/or ease of DIY for that?
See if this thread gives you an idea (The photo links are dead, but look in Kim's photo gallery) . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122505

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ2002 View Post
How easy would most of this stuff be for a newbie? With maybe a bit of help from my dad...

I looked up serpentine belt and that seems to be sort of easy-ish.
You can find many how to on YouTube already filmed, just search.
Some you can find here, again, search.
If you are not super familiar with the car, go on eBay, spend $30 and buy factory service manual, it will outline the process in a very detail way with pictures.
Most of the stuff listed is reasonable easy if you have basic set of tools.
Leaky window on mine, I fixed by bending the frame of the door more in, just a touch with the glass down and using the glue to attach the top 3/4 of the weather strip to the door frame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
rgrant
rgrant is on a distinguished road

I'm new to the forum but not to keeping older cars alive as long as possible.
Even if you are moderately handy you can do about half the jobs yourself. The rest you might need a shop for. The water leaks could be a pain, it could be door seals, door alignment, hard to say.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rgrant's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rgrant reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rgrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
DQ2002

It is with great sadness that I report that I have given up. I tried to talk to hubby about wanting to keep the car and he was a royal you know what about it. Essentially indicating that I was putting our kids in danger by driving them around in this car.

I got a Mazda CX-5. *hangs head in shame* I am literally sick over it and wasn't able to sleep well last night. Car is very similar in size to the good old VUE, but it just isn't my baby. Thanks for your help, everyone. I'm literally crying as I type. That car meant a lot to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

I'd say danger is safety, your car was not dangerous, just needed some upkeep, which might have been expensive if you don't have the means to work at home on it.
CX5 seems to be a good ride, here is a forum for it: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/forum...zda-CX-5-Forum

I was thinking of getting it as well for a wife's car but ended up with Mazda5 due to sliding doors and price

Enjoy the new toy and let it slowly grow on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation