SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
93twincam
93twincam is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Default No start, think it's spark?

So I bought a 93 SC2 and made a thread about it yesterday, but I wanted to make a new thread about the no start problem.

So, I did a simple test to see if it was not getting spark or fuel. I could smell fuel out the tail pipe when turning it over, so I think it's getting fuel. I saw a video online that showed a simple test to confirm the ICM and coil was good. It said to pull the the 1st and 2nd plug wires off the coil (cylinders 1&4 I believe) and turn the motor over. If a spark arced between the 2 posts, the ICM and coil are supposed to be ok, and your problem may be the CPS sensor. Well, it arced when I did this test, but I'm not sure if I believe it could be the CPS causing a no start situation? I mean, even if the CPS was bad, wouldn't it still send spark to the cylinders? Even if its at the wrong time, I'd think it may stumble once in awhile. There was no stumble when I was turning it over, just turned over like you had all the plug wires pulled off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93twincam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93twincam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93twincam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
wheatabix
wheatabix is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: No start, think it's spark?

did you check the plugs as well as the wires?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wheatabix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wheatabix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wheatabix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
93twincam

1993 SC2

Wait, I looked up that video again, and it said that if you see a spark between the 2 posts, then the CPS is ok. So I heard the video wrong. So I must have spark, unless all the plugs just failed all at once, which is very unlikely.

No I did not pull out a plug to check for spark

Must be a fuel issue...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 93twincam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Remove all four spark plugs for several reasons; flooding from excessive fuel injection, no fuel, plug wear, and anything else out of the ordinary. Smelling fuel from the exhaust pipe doesn't help with troubleshooting compared to removing plugs. A soaked spark plug will drown/kill spark, making start ups hard to impossible.

If you find wet plugs, remove the original two-wire coolant sensor for examination. If you have the (original) round nosed plastic tipped sensor, replace it immediately with the flat nosed brass sensor that fixes many problems. And while you're checking things, if the heater puts out less heat, replace the old thermostat too. These two parts will restore instant starting, better heating and better fuel economy.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Check the plug wells for oil and if present, soak it up before removing the plugs.

97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to el diablo viejo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help el diablo viejo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
93twincam

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Remove all four spark plugs for several reasons; flooding from excessive fuel injection, no fuel, plug wear, and anything else out of the ordinary. Smelling fuel from the exhaust pipe doesn't help with troubleshooting compared to removing plugs. A soaked spark plug will drown/kill spark, making start ups hard to impossible.

If you find wet plugs, remove the original two-wire coolant sensor for examination. If you have the (original) round nosed plastic tipped sensor, replace it immediately with the flat nosed brass sensor that fixes many problems. And while you're checking things, if the heater puts out less heat, replace the old thermostat too. These two parts will restore instant starting, better heating and better fuel economy.
Thanks for the info. I will do this when I get back to the car this weekend. Where is the 2 wire coolant sensor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2014, 11:26 PM   #7
93twincam

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by el diablo viejo View Post
Check the plug wells for oil and if present, soak it up before removing the plugs.
Thanks for the tip, although I've experienced this before

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93twincam View Post
Thanks for the info. I will do this when I get back to the car this weekend. Where is the 2 wire coolant sensor?
Look by the drivers side of the engine where the egr valve is located. There are two coolant sensors on the cylinder head; a single wire one drives the temperature gauge and the two-wire one next to it. The two-wire one is the important one for the pcm to determine fuel mixtures.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #9
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Fdryer, are the two the same part number or not? I've wondered this for my '93 SW2, but didn't want to start a whole new thread.

1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Clearfield":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve": 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:12 AM   #10
93twincam

1993 SC2

Can this newer brass style be bought at a parts store, or do I have to order it online?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Most auto parts store will have this coolant sensor. Check online as large chain stores will tell you whether they have one in stock in a local store. AutoZone is a good example.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2014, 03:20 AM   #12
el diablo viejo

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydriver View Post
Fdryer, are the two the same part number or not? I've wondered this for my '93 SW2, but didn't want to start a whole new thread.
No, they are two different sensors. The ECTS has two wires and two corresponding prongs on the sensor. The temp gauge sensor has one wire and one prong.

97 sl2 a/t 104 K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help el diablo viejo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Where is the 2 wire coolant sensor?
Your new best friend is going to be richpin

His Saturn repair videos are priceless. They start with the assumption that you know nothing about cars, so they start out showing you where the part is located. His ECTS video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cucm7QGlsYs

How to with pictures, for dial up users (by Wolfman)
(notes: torque spec is 71 INCH pounds)

How to with pictures, for dial up users (by auxmike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydriver
They aren't different enough that car parts stores always get it right, and you can actually install and plug in the wrong one.

This thread has some discussion about the two sensors and what happens when you get the wrong part (pics & diagrams, too)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191883

Gauge sender is Standard Motor Products Part # TS356 or equivalent
ECTS is Standard Motor Products Part #TX73 or equivalent
(thanks to OldNuc for the info)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
93twincam

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Your new best friend is going to be richpin

His Saturn repair videos are priceless. They start with the assumption that you know nothing about cars, so they start out showing you where the part is located. His ECTS video

They aren't different enough that car parts stores always get it right, and you can actually install and plug in the wrong one.

Gauge sender is Standard Motor Products Part # TS356 or equivalent
ECTS is Standard Motor Products Part #TX73 or equivalent
(thanks to OldNuc for the info)
I've already watched quite a few of richpin's videos lol. Good info in them.

So the part I need is the #TX73?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #15
el diablo viejo

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Quote:
I've already watched quite a few of richpin's videos lol. Good info in them.

So the part I need is the #TX73?
Yes Standard Motor Products TX73 or equivalent.

97 sl2 a/t 104 K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
93twincam

1993 SC2

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #17
93twincam

1993 SC2

So I'm just getting started working on the saturn today, and I was going to start by pulling plugs and checking for spark/fuel. I haven't pulled any yet, but when I went into the car and tried to start it via the flood mode, there was no engine light coming, on, just a service soon. Would the service soon light come on because of the coolant temp sensor?

I'm going to start pulling plugs while I wait for a response

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #18
93twincam

1993 SC2

Also, where is the fuel rail valve stem located? I want to see if fuel is getting that far up stream. I just pulled one plug and it looked pretty dry, aside from some oil/gas/black stuff that wiped off the threads

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #19
solidhadriel
solidhadriel is on a distinguished road

Check your PMs on MM

1998 Saturn SC1 - 285k Miles | 5-Speed Manual
1999 Saturn SW2 - 172k Miles | Auto | The new DD
2014 Mustang GT - Garage Queen...sort of

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to solidhadriel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help solidhadriel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
solidhadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #20
93twincam

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidhadriel View Post
Check your PMs on MM
I just read this, and was thinking this was a response to my question(s) regarding the fuel rail valve/service engine soon warning light, and I was completely confused lol. I'm thinking, "What's a PM on MM in this car????" LOL
But I understand now haha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!